Everyone should try this!

true true..... everything said is true, if we all make an effort maybe others will be inspired too :) excellent thread!

2Notessatrinxa.jpg

Absolutely right - I once walked away from a sunbed and left my lolly wrapper behind, my mate quite rightly sent me back to get it.

It was an honest mistake though.

Ibiza-cooper - I'm intrigued by your Profile name - Cooper....

That's my surname, is it yours too...? 8)

DJNC said:
Ibiza-cooper - I'm intrigued by your Profile name - Cooper....

That's my surname, is it yours too...? 8)

It is kind of. but not my birth name. My mother changed it to Cooper when she married some years after my dad died, so I doubt if we are related!

Help Save The Mediterranian Sea (and Others)

HELP SAVE THE MEDITERRANIAN SEA (AND OTHERS)

It is probably a common conception that marine debris consists of just a few pieces of rubbish scattered along the strand line of beaches and is of no harm to anyone. Unfortunately this is not the case. Marine debris has become a pervasive pollution problem affecting all of the world’s oceans. It is known to be the cause of injuries and deaths of numerous marine animals and birds, either because they become entangled in it or they mistake it for prey and eat it.

Time taken for objects to dissolve at sea

Paper bus ticket

2-4 weeks

Cotton cloth

1-5 months

Rope

3-14 months

Woollen cloth

1 year

Painted wood

13 years

Tin can

100 years

Aluminum can

200-500 years

Plastic bottle

450 years

Plastic waste kills up to 1 million sea birds, 100,000 sea mammals and countless fish each year. Plastic does not decompose easily, so can remain in the ecosystem for many years to kill again and again.
Another thing that we need to take care of is the fact that some people are disposing of plastic bags carelessly and they blow into the sea. Now sea turtles feed on jellyfish. When the turtles see a plastic bag they confuse it with a jellyfish. When they run to eat it the result will be that they remain suffocated. Unfortunately by human carelessness the turtles are now almost extinct. I think that we should be more responsible so that the Mediterranean Sea will be someday the same as when the Mediterranean Sea was full of these nice creatures.
What YOU Can Do:

We’re all responsible for this mess, and it will take all of us to stop it from getting worse. It’s time to completely rethink how we as a society use (or abuse) plastic. Here are some things that you can do right now:
  • Every time you see litter on a beach, pick it up and dispose of it properly.
  • Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – you’ve heard it before, but now you know what happens when you don’t. Be conscious of all that you buy, and be sure to avoid products with excessive packaging, especially in disposable products.
  • Demand more and better recycling facilities in your area.
  • Take part in local stream, river and beach cleanups - or organize one yourself. Though these don't solve the problem, they are very effective at drawing attention to the greater problem offshore.
  • If you live near the sea, or a river that drains into it, your storm drains are probably washing garbage right out to sea. Be conscious of this and any other potential sources of marine litter in your area. Demand that these are eliminated.
  • Be very conscious of your ecological footprint. Encourage change though your decisions and do no accept the current paradigm of use and waste.8)

im off to thew white isle in 3 weeks gonna throw a few bin liners in my suitcase for my beach clean up. Is anyone else thinking of doing this?

Stephen are there any of those organised ones you speak of this year?

Back