Euro 2008

Fernando's gonna do the business tonight (I hope)

Just spoke to my parents who live in Spain they've just gone out for the night to their local bar to support their adopted nation! Fingers Crossed.

Shame they're playing Russia because I've grown to like them throughout the tournament!

OH YESSSSSSS!!!!

Im so happy it's unbelievable. Thought we were excellent in the 2nd half, once the Russians got a bit tired.

Finally INIESTA turned up, we were missing him. (He deservedly won man of the match award)
Silva was awesome.
Senna making great tackles.
Fabregas was a magician with his passes.
Puyol, Ramos and Marchena were very solid at the back.

Only one small step now. It's a strange feeling being in a major final, I guess this is how it feels to be German / Italian / French / Brazilian!!

Good result for Russia anyway!
Ничо мы еще на ЧМ2010 покажем!!!
(for those who can see the Cyrillic script above, it translates as "no matter, we'll show them in the 2010 World Cup!)

Just back from Vienna. A really long day having gotten up at 6am yesterday to go to the airport and then catching a flight back at 6:30 this morning, all with precious little sleep!

Great atmosphere in the city... Russian marching band parade, Spanish gathering in large groups to sing, people all decked out in costumes, flags, paint, etc.

Great atmosphere at the match too. The Russian end was in full voice (up until about Spain's 2nd goal :lol:). I assume it was loud down the Spanish end too as they seemed to be dancing around a lot, but I couldn't hear them.

As for the football, I thought the score perfectly reflected the match. First half was a cagey affair. Gone was the Russian team that attacked with abandon to outplay Holland and Sweden. In its place, a team that seemed to want to try to keep possession more than anything else.

Russia didn't show up for the 2nd half. Spain were immaculate, completely controlling the center of midfield, amazing and precise passing for counterattacks. Beautiful.

Glad I went... although it would have been more fun traveling back with a bunch of pumped up Russians after a victory :lol: Instead, a lot of retrospection and a general understanding that they were outplayed and were fortunate enough just to be in the semifinals. And the pride of making it that far when nobody fancied their chances. The future looks bright for Russian football (as long as Guus sticks around!)

The future looks bright for Russian football (as long as Guus sticks around!)

I think that's the key, Russia have some very skillful players, but i don't think they would have got so far without Hiddink.

They did significantly better than England would have, if qualified. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for Sunday. I had a sneaky feeling Spain would get as far as the final, now i really believe they'll be champs come sunday (Not because i'm biased being an LFC fan ;) or because i live in spain :lol:)

The first Spanish goal took the wind out the Russians as it was completely out the blue really. Neither team looked close to breaking the deadlock and then bang 1 nil which threw the Russians a bit.

I like the Spanish manager who isn't afraid to sub the so called big boys if he thinks they ain't doing it. This is not only good for the subs who must think they are in with a shout of getting a chance but also keeps the big boys on their toes and keeps them fresh for the final.

Hope Villa makes it as you want to see best players on display and he has been one of the stars of the tournament. However if he doesn't then gives someone else a chance to make a name for themselves.

The first Spanish goal took the wind out the Russians as it was completely out the blue really. Neither team looked close to breaking the deadlock and then bang 1 nil which threw the Russians a bit.

I like the Spanish manager who isn't afraid to sub the so called big boys if he thinks they ain't doing it. This is not only good for the subs who must think they are in with a shout of getting a chance but also keeps the big boys on their toes and keeps them fresh for the final.

Hope Villa makes it as you want to see best players on display and he has been one of the stars of the tournament. However if he doesn't then gives someone else a chance to make a name for themselves.

Villa is almost certainly not playing, so Cesc will start!!

Cesc was quality last night. The boy can certainly play but also he don't mind a bit of grafting either.

such a cliche...........but for a lad of 23, he has vision beyond his years!!!
he can be as good as Zidane!!
and (unlike a certain other "young genius", currently involved in "up middle fingering" the club that has been very loyal to him in pursuit of "his dream" and not the £200k a week on offer) he plays with grace, respect and doesn't have to dive around all over the place at the mereist hint of a touch from another player!!!

final was great, atmosphere here was great.

thought xavi was awesome, easily the best game of football i´ve ever seen him play.

spain were so far ahead of germany in football terms that i would have laughed, were it not for the fact that ze germans could have scored an equaliser.....in fact they might have done had they not been beating the **** out of anything that moved.

PODEMOS!!!!!

had to laugh when one of the commentators suggested Torres hadn't had a great tournament near the start of the game. Aye, he's only in the final you plank :lol:

Back