Euro 2008

Oh my did the Russians turn up for their match against Sweden! They were unlucky... could have won by a couple more goals!

Just walked home from the bar/nightclub where I watched the 2nd half with my friends (missed the 1st half because of one of the group's birthday dinner). First time Russia has made it out of the group stages of a major football tournament, but you'd think they just won the whole thing :lol:

Huge party in the street along the main downtown thoroughfare. People driving around honking their horns and hanging out their cars with or without flags (the topless girl standing up through the sunroof of a 4x4 was especially entertaining!). In short, the whole of Moscow is one big party zone at 2:30 on a Wednesday night. :lol:

Oh my did the Russians turn up for their match against Sweden! They were unlucky... could have won by a couple more goals!

Just walked home from the bar/nightclub where I watched the 2nd half with my friends (missed the 1st half because of one of the group's birthday dinner). First time Russia has made it out of the group stages of a major football tournament, but you'd think they just won the whole thing :lol:

I've tried to watch again...god knows I've tried It just isn't moving me at all. Hope Spain win it though! Would of liked a Holland v Spain final!

Heading out later today, gonna follow Spain (do as the Romans do) and Holland (the best team so far). Always good to get a bit of footy abroad when it's warm and downing a cold beer or four, and refreshingly different not to have the pressure of 'Eng-er-land' for a change ;-)

Agreed, prolly should have scored at least two more. Sweden were poor though - as the commentators noted Russia won't find it so easy against better opponents.

Personally, I think their biggest problem against Holland will be how often they fail to retain possession from the back. The two centre backs play in a very old fashioned way i.e if the ball's anywhere near your area, lump it without thought. Possession back to Holland, who don't give it back easily.

That said Russia looked very good on the ball in Sweden's half8)

Agreed, prolly should have scored at least two more. Sweden were poor though - as the commentators noted Russia won't find it so easy against better opponents.

Personally, I think their biggest problem against Holland will be how often they fail to retain possession from the back. The two centre backs play in a very old fashioned way i.e if the ball's anywhere near your area, lump it without thought. Possession back to Holland, who don't give it back easily.

That said Russia looked very good on the ball in Sweden's half8)

Arshavin probably made the difference
tore us apart in the UEFA Cup final

Arshavin probably made the difference
tore us apart in the UEFA Cup final

And his comedy name makes him one to watch too!

The left back looks special too. Whether he'll be able to attack so much against the Dutch remains to be seen though I guess.

43090157.jpg

Anyone else see this last night? Van der Fart. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

lol..... he is an allrounder...

And his comedy name makes him one to watch too!

The left back looks special too. Whether he'll be able to attack so much against the Dutch remains to be seen though I guess.
Arshavin's return definitely added something to their attack. Pavluchenko is no slouch either (scored the winner against England, I believe) and together they're dangerous.

Zhirkov, the left winger from CSKA Moscow, is also one to keep an eye on.

The Dutch will more than likely win as I think their defense is more solid. Although, despite their deficiencies, the Russians did look much better organized at the back last night than they did against Spain. In any event, it should be an exciting game... two teams playing what the pundits like to call "total football"

They did look good the Russians but how poor was the defending for that second goal?? Typical Sunday morning defending that!

Holland Russia could be a cracker. However they all could.

I think had England qualified we could well have been ridiculed again!!

ferd, you´d be creaming yourself over here, never thought i´d see such a show of nationalist solidarity in these here parts.

the bar over the road from me has this guy, about 65/70 with a big grey beard and on match day he wears a full spanish flag worn like a toga with another flag for a superman cape and then a miner´s helmet in the colours of.....guess what, the spanish flag!

quite often he´ll be on his own and just walk into the middle of the road, blow this horn thing he has and then walk back inside. on matchday he has a drum that he bangs incessantly out of ryhthm to the spanish national anthem and a scooter happy hardcore version of the spanish national anthem.

when you over here fernando, ít´d even be a good spot to go to for the crack if they weren´t madridistas! :spank:

dime algo tio;)

HOT DAMN! :D Russia 3 - Holland 1 AET!

How about that!?! A thoroughly deserved win for the Russians! Over Holland, no less!

Like a lot of people, I had Holland picked to win the thing. Like most people around here, I certainly didn't think Russia could make it to the semis...

Great performances all over the pitch... Arshavin and England-killer Pavlyuchenko were massive. Zyrianov was great linking up the attacks.... and Zhirkov re-purposed as a left back was a stroke of genius by old Gus!

I watched the game at home (in case Russia lost and things got out of control... Russians are bad losers :lol:)... but I can hear through my window on my quiet side street that the whole city has gone wild :!: Horns honking, people screaming. Time to go out! :D

A superb result for Russia, im amazed they beat Holland as i had the Dutch down to win it, but no excuses they were well and truly beaten by a good Russian team and you have to applaud the Russians.

Spain v Italy on now shortly, has the makings of a cracking game, im gonna go for Spain, i hope they now go on and win it.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A superb result for Russia, im amazed they beat Holland as i had the Dutch down to win it, but no excuses they were well and truly beaten by a good Russian team and you have to applaud the Russians.

Spain v Italy on now shortly, has the makings of a cracking game, im gonna go for Spain, i hope they now go on and win it.:)

so how many teams have you "supported" during the tourney?:rolleyes:

so how many teams have you "supported" during the tourney?:rolleyes:

As many as i want, seen as my country didn't qualify i lent my support to Poland who were then knocked out, then Holland who then went out so now ill lend my support to Spain...happy now chewabacca :D:rolleyes:

Well Spain win on penalties so justice was done, probably the worst game in the entire tournament thanks to the negative Italian style of play, they looked as if they were playing for penalties all throughout the game,dreadful.

It's hard to look beyond Germany as regards winning it, but Spain will give them a good run for their money, i think it'll be a Spain v Germany final.

Back