Euro 2008

Ferd

Just back from Austria, and there's such a contrast to the footy atmosphere over there to over here, I now realise it's such a shame none of the brits are in the competition.

Fair play to the Austrians, lovely hosts, and to all the swedes we saw on saturday at innsbruck. Really nice set of fans, no trouble whatsover, even with that great Villa winner at the end.

Massive game tonight with the French and the Italians, hoping Rumania win though 8)
Think Russia should be able to beat Sweden tomorrow.

Looking forward to the Portugal - Germany quarter final.

Glad you had a good trip, Ferd.

Looking forward to the Russia-Sweden match tomorrow. I think it'll be close but the Russians will edge it. I think they only need a draw, assuming the Spanish don't let the Greeks off the hook like the Portuguese did with the Swiss!

French & Italians tonight should be entertaining...

I read that apparently the Italy France game could be decided on penalties even if they both don't qualify! Apparently something to do with their ranking points.

Anyway FIFA have now issued a statement saying penalties will not happen only if required for any team to progress.

I mean how pointless would be a penalty shootout if they both didn't qualify!

Am now behind Spain as I think Italy will go out tonight!!

So far though been an amazing tournament with some fantastic matches, 2 of the best involving the Turks!!

Wouldve been the most pointless set of penalties if Italy and France had to fight it out for 3rd spot. Wouldve loved it though just to see their face 8)

Cheers Morbyd. Russia need to win though because Sweden have a better goal difference so a draw will favour them. Greece are completely out of it.

Have to say dutch are looking tasty, but id fancy Spains chances against them.

So far though been an amazing tournament with some fantastic matches, 2 of the best involving the Turks!!
What a match on Sunday, eh?! I nearly turned it off after a relatively lackluster first half but the second half was great drama!

Gutted for Petr, though. A really great guy but a cruelly huge mistake for that 2nd Turkish goal.

Italy 2-0 France not long to go and Holland currently beating Romania 1-0 so it's Holland and Italy by the looks of it to qualify.

I'm supporting Holland seen as Poland are gone..8)

always want Spain to do well
but Holland have been the best team

they deserve to win it but Laura's dutch uncle would be insufferable this summer :eek:

after Buffon's terrific PK save v Romania , i fancy them to go all the way now ...... with Toni also starting to find the net versus Spain ;)

What a match on Sunday, eh?! I nearly turned it off after a relatively lackluster first half but the second half was great drama!

Gutted for Petr, though. A really great guy but a cruelly huge mistake for that 2nd Turkish goal.

Morbs - do you think Petr has lost a little something since the whack on his head by Hunt? (Which was deliberate and has laughed about it on many an occassion! He is a friend of a friend of a friend shall we say. Hunt takes great pride in showing of his death threat letters he recieved from Chelsea fans but has to have someone read them as he can't read!)

Personally I think he has not been the same. Don't get me wrong still great keeper but there was talk of a club offering big money for him. I would take it myself. Not sure what the replacement would be but Buffon would be a good start.

Cech is the new Robinson. :lol:

thats "lacklustre" Johnny ;)

Looks like I was wrong about last night, as the azurri beat France (did feel sorry for them though).

money is still on spain though!!!

other Johnny, somehow I cant imagine you in Orange???

thats "lacklustre" Johnny ;)
Not unless you don't know how to spell :lol:

madwhitegiant said:
Personally I think he has not been the same. Don't get me wrong still great keeper but there was talk of a club offering big money for him. I would take it myself. Not sure what the replacement would be but Buffon would be a good start.
It's not just the head injury but also the other injuries. I think it'll just take time for him to get back to his best.

If Hunt did that on purpose (and it really looked to me like he lowered his knee intentionally) then he is truly a person of immeasurably low worth. Petr has to be one of the nicest guys (not to mention, one of the more intelligent footballers) I have ever met.

Not unless you don't know how to spell :lol:

It's not just the head injury but also the other injuries. I think it'll just take time for him to get back to his best.

If Hunt did that on purpose (and it really looked to me like he lowered his knee intentionally) then he is truly a person of immeasurably low worth. Petr has to be one of the nicest guys (not to mention, one of the more intelligent footballers) I have ever met.

Morbs I can assure you it was very deliberate. To be honest Hunt probably would've done it to his nan so nothing personal against Cech! A bit in the mold of Barton/Bowyer type person.

i fancy them to go all the way now ...... with Toni also starting to find the net versus Spain ;)

dont say that, it would be just Spain's luck he finds his form for that game!

Not happy the italians got through, they're the sort of team who even if they are outplayed for 90 mins are likely to sneak a last minute goal.

We have better forwards and midfield, specially without Pirlo and Gatusso. Our defence is probably worse, but not much worse since Cannavaro got injured. We want revenge for 1994.

. Petr has to be one of the nicest guys (not to mention, one of the more intelligent footballers) I have ever met.

CLANG:lol:

When Hunt scored a couple of games after nearly killing the bloke, he celebrated by pretending to jump in with his knees into the corner flag. nice..

dont say that, it would be just Spain's luck he finds his form for that game!

Not happy the italians got through, they're the sort of team who even if they are outplayed for 90 mins are likely to sneak a last minute goal.

We have better forwards and midfield, specially without Pirlo and Gatusso. Our defence is probably worse, but not much worse since Cannavaro got injured. We want revenge for 1994.

I fancied Spain since the start and for some reason cheer them in every tournament after the English of course. However they have the tendancy to self destruct after getting everyone excited.

Remember 86 when The Vulture bagged 4 in the 2nd round to beat the Danes 5-1 I think only for them to return the favour in the next round by letting in 5 against the Belgians!! Anyway I hope the Spanish do it if not then the Croatians. However the Germans are still lingering around.

I picked spain in the begining and will ride that horse, but the dutch look real good. The Germans don´t have much after Ballack so as he goes so does the germans. I think portugal will fizzle out like normal.

43090157.jpg

Anyone else see this last night? Van der Fart. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back