Election Day in the US of A

Morbyd

It's on... voting underway on the East Coast now.

First results from little Dixville Notch, New Hampshire:
Obama 15, McCain 6
(and that's 100% turnout! :lol:)

Never been so nervous about an election before. I've spent all my free time on the 'net the last couple of days reading Politico, Drudge Report, Real Clear Politics, newspapers, etc...

12 hours from now I'll be down at the diner with some friends watching the results in the wee hours of the morning.

Go Obama!

I am nowhere near knowledgable enough about the subject to pass comment, so I will pass on the comments of one of my distinguished colleagues...

"Obama can't get in, he's friends with them 'Ikeeda' ain't he."

Now I'm not sure if he's talking about his alleged connections with Al Qaeda or his penchant for some budget Swedish furniture...

I'll believe it when I see it.

It looks good, Ferd... really good. But the polls have been wrong before, and turnout is key. When they've got 99% of precincts reporting actual results from the last of the states necessary to give Barack 270 electoral votes, that's when I'll raise my glass and watch the tears flow.

I'll believe it when I see it.

It looks good, Ferd... really good. But the polls have been wrong before, and turnout is key. When they've got 99% of precincts reporting actual results from the last of the states necessary to give Barack 270 electoral votes, that's when I'll raise my glass and watch the tears flow.

I will too mate. I really hope Barack gets in but anything could happen! I think it will be good for you guys to get a black man in the oval office.

I will too mate. I really hope Barack gets in but anything could happen! I think it will be good for you guys to get a black man in the oval office.
Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, to be honest.

And the irony is, the state of Virginia might go Democratic for the first time in 44 years and be the one to put Obama over the top. This is the same state where, 40-something years ago, my mom's school district shut itself down rather than comply with a Supreme Court ruling to integrate schools. I can't imagine how my parents feel.

Thing about Obama, though, is he's not just black. He's also white. His half-sister is Asian. He's christian while his dad's family is Muslim. In a way, he is the face of a multi-cultural, global society. If he can't bring people together, I'm not sure who can...

No set time. The polls start closing at 7pm EST (midnight GMT), but it varies by state and the states out West obviously close later (several hours later in the cases of Hawaii & Alaska). Then the counting begins. News channels will start calling some states based on exit polling. Others, they'll wait for real counts to trickle in. When someone has enough states to get 270 electoral votes, then they'll call it.

I'll be watching from around 7am GMT (4am Moscow) until it's clear.

No set time. The polls start closing at 7pm EST (midnight GMT), but it varies by state and the states out West obviously close later (several hours later in the cases of Hawaii & Alaska). Then the counting begins. News channels will start calling some states based on exit polling. Others, they'll wait for real counts to trickle in. When someone has enough states to get 270 electoral votes, then they'll call it.

I'll be watching from around 7am GMT (4am Moscow) until it's clear.

feck that, you'll miss all the action. i'm doing an all-nighter.

me and wolf blitzer

Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, to be honest.

And the irony is, the state of Virginia might go Democratic for the first time in 44 years and be the one to put Obama over the top. This is the same state where, 40-something years ago, my mom's school district shut itself down rather than comply with a Supreme Court ruling to integrate schools. I can't imagine how my parents feel.

Thing about Obama, though, is he's not just black. He's also white. His half-sister is Asian. He's christian while his dad's family is Muslim. In a way, he is the face of a multi-cultural, global society. If he can't bring people together, I'm not sure who can...

Its shocking to think that 40 years ago you could not go to school cos of the colour of your skin.

Very true mate we are all mongrels now so he seems like the perfect choice. I liked the fact that he stayed away from the slagging match too. McCain, from what I have seen, just wanted to have a go at him for this or that rather than pushing his policys. Unfortunately the British Ministers seem more interested in smearing one another rather than getting a good manefesto togehter.

"Obama can't get in, he's friends with them 'Ikeeda' ain't he."

Now I'm not sure if he's talking about his alleged connections with Al Qaeda

Surely he cant have connections to Al Qaeda :confused: I heard something along those lines but didnt look to much into it, was it just a rumour because of his Muslim roots, ie because you're muslim you must have Al Qaeda connections :confused: :?:

Did stumble across this picture though (sorry john) :lol:

Barack_Obama_muslim.jpg

i did see some hard core republicans rallying people not to vote for Obama cos it sounds too much like Osama, and that Barack sounds too much like Iraq...

:lol:

on that basis i will not be voting for Gordon Brown or Labour as it reminds me of when i had a bout of Piles.

Surely he cant have connections to Al Qaeda :confused: I heard something along those lines but didnt look to much into it, was it just a rumour because of his Muslim roots, ie because you're muslim you must have Al Qaeda connections :confused: :?:

And if you're spanish, you're a toreador. Italian, and you're a mafioso.

Go Obama

Back