Dubai

good post Kimajy - family members of mine who lived in Nairobi and Sharjah reported similar. Personally I think you can only globalise so much - even the World Cup at a stretch, if you must - but clubbing in say New York, Berlin, Manchester, Ibiza today is so bound up in the rich musical history of the local area. I just don't see how you can parachute brands into new territories and expect to recreate events from thousands of miles away, especially when local laws are severe and people are getting tortured in the local nick. I'm sure there are rich kids who couldn't care less where they are - whether it's festivals or Formula One, the world is their oyster and that is part of the problem. The locals start to hate you and the islamist loons exploit the resentment and, hey presto, it's Tehran 1978 and smoke bombs are landing in your compound garden. (I live with someone who was there). The intelligent way to export clubbing is to build local scenes slowly & organically which is what some people I know have been doing in Hong Kong, Bali, Melbourne - places without the history but where there is a tiny core of passionate people. So by all means, tell me not to judge without trying but until the M.E. sorts itself out, then I'm out too.

The intelligent way to export clubbing is to build local scenes slowly & organically which is what some people I know have been doing in Hong Kong, Bali, Melbourne - places without the history but where there is a tiny core of passionate people.

And that's exactly what's happening here as well. There's an amazing local scene here which is growing just like it would in any other country.

But as also seen in Bali & Melbourne etc you have the global brands arriving to 'do their thing' as well. I've seen Pacha doing parties at Mr Sippy in Bali and Elrow in Australia... what's the difference?

I'm not talking about corporate brands though. I'm talking about localised underground music scenes. Apples and carrots. If people want to go to El Row or whatever, that is their choice but that has nothing to do with local music scenes.

I'm not talking about corporate brands though. I'm talking about localised underground music scenes. Apples and carrots. If people want to go to El Row or whatever, that is their choice but that has nothing to do with local music scenes.

I completely understand that. I guess I didn't phrase my sentences correctly. There's a great local music scene here and hopefully it'll grow the way it has in these other countries.

Hi I also live in Dubai. I'm a long time lurker who hardly ever posts but It makes me laugh to read some of the comments from people that have never been here. How can you have such a strong opinion on somewhere you've never been too. Weird. Anyway Dubai have some really good nights on. The atmosphere isn't like Ibiza in the 90s but it's as good as most of the nights in Ibiza now. Yes there are some people sitting on Tables, there are some girls (and men) posing and pouting, taking selfies but nowhere near to the amount I seen doing it in Ibiza. The locals dance like crazy, there is room to dance, no ones getting crushed and pushed, most people look like they are enjoying it and having a good time. There are some good home grown nights, Groove on the Grass springs to mind. Raxon for instance is a really good local DJ. Zero Gravity put Ushuaia to shame in my opinion for price, friendliness of security and definitely the toilet situation. The atmosphere in Dubai is nothing like Clockwork Orange in Ibiza which is like going back to the 90s or proper techno clubs like Berghain, but bog standard nights in Ibiza as they are now are very similar.

You won't find gangs of Ketted up meatheads with manbags, all wearing socks with sliders pushing and falling everywhere totally unaware they are on a dancefloor, No Drugs definitely aren't as prolific here as in Ibiza but in some cases I'd say that's a good thing. If you like the music and like to dance at least your night won't be ruined by the above as it could be with some nights in Ibiza

Clubs just aren't as much fun if much of the crowd isn't on MD, if you can't get away with being on MD. That's as much a criticism of the club scene I've experienced recently in the UK as the club scene in Dubai (as it sounds). o_O

I get that it’s different, but sometimes different can be good (othertimes really shit). I’ll be going to this one.

Attachments

• A92E101B-5E16-4559-93D9-E3A9DEACB69D.jpeg
    A92E101B-5E16-4559-93D9-E3A9DEACB69D.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 12
Hopefully you don’t class me as insane?
Well you did do those missions to and from Dubai/Ibiza didn't you :lol: just kidding

I'm not saying it doesn't go on as drugs are everywhere but I wouldn't even think about taking the risk. Fair play if you do.

I was bricking it just passing through 2hours in Dubai airport en route to the southern hemisphere for being more than tipsy. I blame the timezones :D

Well you did do those missions to and from Dubai/Ibiza didn't you :lol: just kidding

I'm not saying it doesn't go on as drugs are everywhere but I wouldn't even think about taking the risk. Fair play if you do.

I was bricking it just passing through 2hours in Dubai airport en route to the southern hemisphere for being more than tipsy. I blame the timezones :D
My arrival back 2 years ago was interesting...left space direct to airport...same clothes and someone left something in my pocket...then my bag was lost..i double locked my door and was checking how I could dive out of my third floor apartment. It took 2 days for the bag to turn up. Not a pleasant time

You must be insane to even attempt to do anything in UAE like that surley :eek:
Exactly. Even if you talk about any type of drug there people move away from you.. ive experienced this on visits. People talking about going to goa or going home on visits saying "can't wait to.get mashed".. fastest way to clear a table in Dubai..:lol:

Friend who ive stayed with out there he's there since 2000 and his sister before the place was even named I think..she's very well known there and invited to everything,was able to get us free passes for all the fancy hotels to use all the facilities as we were only staying in an apartment in bura dubai I think its called.. long story short, her younger brother came over took a car for a spin,crashed into a local persons car at a round about,got 6 months in jail and whole family were nearly deported for his mistake..

I don't know anyone who's been put in Jail even for 1 second just for crashing their car never mind 6 months. Maybe there was more to it? Sounds like one of those stories the Daily Mail run Such as that woman who said she was arrested because she had a glass of wine on her flight over. When really she had threatened the immigration people, left the UK on her Swedish passport but tried to enter here on her Iranian one and wouldn't stop using her phone to film. Try that in America you'd also more than likely be arrested and denied entry. Cocoon at Blue Marlin looks good. I wonder what's on for New Year?

Back