DJ Top 100 2012

the 'new' sankeys? or wwere people always a bit sceptical when it was sankeys soap (is it in a different building?, or have i got that wrong & they are still in the same location?)

i've never been in the place, was toying with the idea of coming back down for another WHP trip in december and going to sankeys on the friday, make a weekend of it.

whats the best manc club then?

Sankeys Soap was like the End, it will never be beaten for what it was. The new Sankeys is nothing like the old place.

I'll give the best 5 sets I've seen in the past year....
1. Davide Squillace (dc10 & Circus)
2. Joris Voorn (Circus)
3. Adam Beyer (Circus)
4. Catz n Dogz (Circus, Liverpool & Space, Ibiza)
5. Carl Cox (house set at dc10)

I deduce you only go clubbing in Liverpool and Ibiza :)

i've never been in the place, was toying with the idea of coming back down for another WHP trip in december and going to sankeys on the friday, make a weekend of it.

whats the best manc club then?

TBH, I would still go ahead and make your weekend of it if they've got a decent night you want to go to. Does really depend on the night though. I'm just very cynical about the place living in the city as are most people I know here. The club itself is a decent enough venue but they totally overpack it and there is no room to move. Worst place I've ever known for it. Drinks are overpriced. Most of the staff are w*nkers. As a visitor to the city you would probably have a good night there though. I would go off to Leeds or Sheffield anyday over going there these days. Manchester has a lot of smaller venues. Sound Control on Oxford Road is pretty decent.Joshua Brooks also has some good nights on but it's a smaller venue. Depends which weekend and what's on as there are a lot of different genres.

I may be a bit biased at the moment because they didn't let me and my mate in the other week for DJ Sneak even though we had tickets. First time since being under age (a long long time ago) I've not got in somewhere. Door pickers on, no reason given. We weren't worse for wear. Have to say it was a last minute thing for a mates birthday and we weren't overly dressed but hair and make up were done. We defo don't look like trouble makers. I'm 39 and my mate is 46 (with bright red hair) so not 18/19 year old dolly birds. The doorman was very apologetic as we weren't kicking off about it and got us a refund . Mates who did go in said the crowd were terrible, there to be seen rather than to enjoy the music and won't be back either. I personally don't want anything to do with a club that is going to be arsey about who they let in anyway.

Sankeys Soap on the other hand used to be amazing. It had proper character. Had some proper good nights there when Golden used to be on there. Happy happy times :)

Right that's enough Sankeys bashing from me for now!!

took a gander at this
of the 100 - 6 i'd definitely want to see
of those - i'd "not want to miss" 3

am i not hip?

btw - those six were Daft Punk, Carl Cox, Umek, Richie Hawtin, Paul Kalkbrenner & John Digweed

I'll give the best 5 sets I've seen in the past year....
1. Davide Squillace (dc10 & Circus)
2. Joris Voorn (Circus)
3. Adam Beyer (Circus)
4. Catz n Dogz (Circus, Liverpool & Space, Ibiza)
5. Carl Cox (house set at dc10)

Locodice at whp and Cocoon in the Park is worth a mention too. As is Zabiela at Store St whp and Danny Daze at Sankeys, Ibiza.

In my opinion, the best DJs/producers at the moment
1. Richie Hawtin
2. Luciano
3. Maya Jane Coles
4. Locodice
5. Hot Natured

I agree about squillace :twisted:

My top 5;

1. Davide Squillace ( TimeWarp)
2. Maya Jane Coles (Fuse)
3. Loco Dice (LoveFamilyPark)
4. Dyed Soundorom (DC10)
5. Matthias Tanzmann (Extrema Outdoor)

Haven't heard Carl Cox this year, otherwise he would also been in there 8)

TBH, I would still go ahead and make your weekend of it if they've got a decent night you want to go to. Does really depend on the night though. I'm just very cynical about the place living in the city as are most people I know here. The club itself is a decent enough venue but they totally overpack it and there is no room to move. Worst place I've ever known for it. Drinks are overpriced. Most of the staff are w*nkers. As a visitor to the city you would probably have a good night there though. I would go off to Leeds or Sheffield anyday over going there these days. Manchester has a lot of smaller venues. Sound Control on Oxford Road is pretty decent.Joshua Brooks also has some good nights on but it's a smaller venue. Depends which weekend and what's on as there are a lot of different genres.

I may be a bit biased at the moment because they didn't let me and my mate in the other week for DJ Sneak even though we had tickets. First time since being under age (a long long time ago) I've not got in somewhere. Door pickers on, no reason given. We weren't worse for wear. Have to say it was a last minute thing for a mates birthday and we weren't overly dressed but hair and make up were done. We defo don't look like trouble makers. I'm 39 and my mate is 46 (with bright red hair) so not 18/19 year old dolly birds. The doorman was very apologetic as we weren't kicking off about it and got us a refund . Mates who did go in said the crowd were terrible, there to be seen rather than to enjoy the music and won't be back either. I personally don't want anything to do with a club that is going to be arsey about who they let in anyway.

Sankeys Soap on the other hand used to be amazing. It had proper character. Had some proper good nights there when Golden used to be on there. Happy happy times :)

Right that's enough Sankeys bashing from me for now!!

Helen, that's terrible treatment you & your friend got (from the club promoters staff running the door rather than Sankeys bouncers ?
No wonder you've a downer on the place. I'd be we'll pissed off.

As for Manchester , think only 1 night attack for WHP if we do decide to go again:)

Back