DJ Top 100 2012

Have found myself going off Armin in the last year or so. I think now that I like to the likes of Markus' dark and techie sets, and Emery's fast paced, mashup sets, Armin does seem a tad bit boring now.

I think a lot of us in the trance scene have done Armin to death a little bit over the last 4 or 5 years and, as you say, the likes of Schulz and Emery are offering something different to a very high standard.

Markus and Emery just about outshone Armin at Space last year, but Armin still did a hugely enjoyable set. I'm always blown away by Armin's techical ability. For mixing style and just nailing every transition he's still the tops in trance.

I never go into an Armin set feeling like I could predict the tracklist or assuming that it'll probably just be a track-for-track run through of a latest album release. That's what you have with Above & Beyond at the moment - just utter perdictability. You enjoy the Group Therapy moments, but you can see them coming and they're sandwiched between completely forgettable 132 trouse tracks.

Thankfully, after Cream last year I got to see Jono and Tony DJ at the GT boat party and because of the setting that was a completely different style of set - and it was actually amazing... that's not what they're doing in the clubs at the moment.

Their best gig for me was Trance Energy 2010. That was A&B at their pinnacle, before Group Therapy. (not that it was a bad album)

Best set for me was still the first time I saw them. Creamfields (I think) 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only 3 worthy people for the DJ Mag Top 100:

1. Paris Hilton
2. David Guetta
3. Swedish House Mafia

End the competition right there.

I think a lot of us in the trance scene have done Armin to death a little bit over the last 4 or 5 years and, as you say, the likes of Schulz and Emery are offering something different to a very high standard.
Markus and Emery just about outshone Armin at Space last year, but Armin still did a hugely enjoyable set. I'm always blown away by Armin's techical ability. For mixing style and just nailing every transition he's still the tops in trance.
Best set for me was still the first time I saw them. Creamfields (I think) 2007.

It is one thing I like about Armin, his mixes are 99.5% of the time, spotless. I've noticed them when listening from home, but it's rare I do in a club setting. And his track selection is pretty damned good (but, as with all DJs, don't see him too many times too close together). Would love to see A&B outsite of a club setting. They did the acoistic balloon ride for someone a couple of yours back, and it just looked immense.

check out their Essential Mix from 2004 mate (Won essential Mix of the Year)

Amazing set..........8)

Will have to have a listen to that!

This guy all the way. Number one forever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMrBza_nOl0

xD

surely it should be 'top 100 in dance music' as the line between dj and producer is almost non existant even tho we have producers admitting they cant dj for toffee. plus people like guetta have exceeded the 'dj' description yet he is jusged for his whole portfolio. The whole thing is outdated , unrepresentitive , misleading , corrupt and frankly dull.

exactly this.

this whole thing annoys the **** out of me.

as IF some trance goon or some new 'EDM' bell end DJ/producer should even be on the same list for DJing ability as someone like Laurent Garnier for example.

Some dutch dude who people refer to by first name only V Garnier = no contest.

'yes, i saw (insert some producer of toss music) play an amazing set, there was fireworks and everyone was making those heart shapes with their hands, it was EDM at its finest'.......Please Do One!

totally daft poll.

(yes i am aware of the irony that i am commenting on the poll!)

Copy paste comments from previous decade. :rolleyes:

Over to Faith Fanzine who are doing a much more meaningful poll.

And that's coming from a trance fan! Fair play to you sir :)

I think any trance fan who claims to know his/her dance music can see that JJ is a declining force in a global trance scene populated many many better DJs (at best he's just a bad smell that won't go away), whereas Vath and Voorn in comparison are heavyweights.

I'm not sure who's voting for Judge Jules to be honest. Really I don't.

And who is Technoboy? No one who actually plays techno would be called that.

Hardstyle I think, mate. Not that I'm into hardstyle. Bloody hate the stuff.

I think any trance fan who claims to know his/her dance music can see that JJ is a declining force in a global trance scene populated many many better DJs (at best he's just a bad smell that won't go away), whereas Vath and Voorn in comparison are heavyweights.

I'm not sure who's voting for Judge Jules to be honest. Really I don't.

Hardstyle I think, mate. Not that I'm into hardstyle. Bloody hate the stuff.

And if you could write the top 10 you would pick...

I'm going to still post the full list. Regardless of what people think of it, I'm always curious to see which DJ makes the list. It's all about who is the biggest brand with the best marketing. It's a numbers game.

Robder: How do you do a meaningful poll?

And if you could write the top 10 you would pick...

Ain't that the million dollar question. In the past I made a point of only voting for people I'd seen live in the last 12 months and this year I didn't vote at all.

If we're talking about who it would please me to see up there, Armin, Schulz, PvD (no WHP bias :oops:). Sander Van Doorn would be my number 1. Always liked Eddie Halliwell both technically and his energy with the crowd. Jordan Suckley is an exciting prodigy in our scene. Outside trance, James Zabiela is fricking awesome and would be right up there.

But that's the whole point with these lists. It's not that there aren't good DJs on the list, it just becomes ridiculous when you have someone as talented as Zabiela many many places lower than someone like Avicii. I love Armin - all the best to him - but him being top of this list (if he is again) is actually a bit embarrassing.

122. Skazi
123. James Zabiela
124. Daniel Kandi
125. Klaypex
126. Matt Darey
127. Basto
128. Roger Sanchez

Shocked that Zabiela is so low... but I guess that makes sense.

===

This year for my own personal voting, I only voted people I'd seen. As a result, KhoMha, who is probably my favourite producer and DJ (his live sets are incredible), didn't get a vote.

Definitely agree with Eddie H being up there, and Sander. The man knows how to build a crowd up from nothing to everything. He was the highlight of my night at Cream in June.

A poll on DJ skill would never work though, voted for by the public. It needs to be done by professionals to have any meaning. Which is effectively what the DMC Championships are. That's pure turntablism.

Back