DJ Top 100 2012

Robder: How do you do a meaningful poll?

You ask people who eat, sleep, live music and have knowledge and opinions - not the gurning masses who tune in because a guy wears a big ferret hat, worked with Kelly Rowland or played in Amnesia to a bunch of pedestrians last summer.

should be a trance / commerical list, then a techno, house/deep house list, as really its chalk & cheese these days.

and no prizes for what i'd list as cheese...eddie halliwell mentioned as a top dj:eek::lol: BOSH!!!!

my top 3?
for me its hawtin, troxler & weatherall, and dunno how i could pick the 1,2 & 3 positions as in their own ways they are so ahead of everyone else just now its laughable.

though it is very age dependent i would argue as well..if i were 19/20, i'd probably be going on about joy orbison/ben ufo/jackmaster/ etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
should be a trance / commerical list, then a techno, house/deep house list, as really its chalk & cheese these days.

and no prizes for what i'd list as cheese...eddie halliwell mentioned as a top dj:eek::lol: BOSH!!!!

It's all relative. To an Avicii fan Gangnam Style is cheese, to an Armin fan Avicii is cheese, to a Hawtin fan Armin is cheese. It all depends what your taste is and therefore where you sit on the ladder of things. My gripe with this is not really about taste.

Eddie Halliwell for example is almost certainly playing more commercial music (cheesier, if you like) now than he was 10 years ago. But regardless, you don't have to be "into" what he plays to appreciate that he is actually technically very skilled and a born entertainer to boot. Sander Van Doorn is a case in point. He has changed his style significantly in quite a short space of time but works a crowd now as effectively as he ever has.

Whereas people like Deadmau5 who wear stupid hats, constantly stir up controversy through social networking, admit to "pressing a space bar" rather than actually DJing, will come in a lot higher than 'proper' DJs from many genres.

As Ben says, it's nothing more than a measure of brands and their ability to dupe the public into mindless fandom. It can't be an exact science, democracy rarely is. But it's a list too radically out of perspective, full of too many mad anomalies, to take seriously.

Going by djs ive seen this year id say

1. Paul Van Dyk - cream boat party and closing party
2. Locodice - Cocoon in the Park
3. Yousef as hes quality every month at circus and was the highlight of Carl Cox closing party(well underrated)
4.Sasha as he was brilliant at Ushuaia( not usually my cup of tea either)
5. Laurent Garnier for being Laurent Garnier.

and no prizes for what i'd list as cheese...eddie halliwell mentioned as a top dj:eek::lol: BOSH!!!

Why the trance lot in with commercial? Also where would you fit DJs like Mat Zo in? He's definitely not a Trance DJ anymore, much more electro sounding... Who'd decide what DJ plays for what Genre?

That's the problem with any polls, whether it be Resident Advisor, DJ Mag, or any of them... it comes down the size of the following of that DJ.

You ask people who eat, sleep, live music and have knowledge and opinions - not the gurning masses who tune in because a guy wears a big ferret hat, worked with Kelly Rowland or played in Amnesia to a bunch of pedestrians last summer.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think Jimmy Savile will be in the top 5 this year.

(Sorry. ;))
sir jimmy saville, dj royalty.

ironic that it was him that really kicked djing off in this country....

(couldn't help but laugh when everyone's favorite credible dj to drop, a certain john peel, was gettign exposed the other week as well:lol:....peel stage at glasto? young girls must bring id!!!

i always remember reading that 'hammer of the gods' book about led zep, jimmy page and his young girl groupies....and then of course, pete townsend.....doign reasearch.....:(

Why the trance lot in with commercial? Also where would you fit DJs like Mat Zo in? He's definitely not a Trance DJ anymore, much more electro sounding... Who'd decide what DJ plays for what Genre?

That's the problem with any polls, whether it be Resident Advisor, DJ Mag, or any of them... it comes down the size of the following of that DJ.
trance can have its own list, but again i'd argue as to where trance/commerical house/trouse stands....for me the dj mag top 100 is really a trance/commercial house list anyway, i dont really take much notice of it, its like the smash hits poll winners party of dance music if you ask me....

the RA poll is much more my scene.

the one interesting thing about the outcome of the dj mag top 100 this year will be where people like deadmau5/skrillex come....if their american fans get into it / twitter / facebook campaigns have been running,

i'm guesing the top 5 will be:

SHM
DEADMAU5
SKRILLEX
TIESTO
AVB.

trance can have its own list,

You see, I think it's sad that it needs it's own list. It would be nice to think that we could judge all these DJs from all these popular genres on a level playing field, irrespective of people's usual tastes and biases. I love all electronic music and I hate seeing divisions made and barriers put up.

But you can't trust the public with anything. The more you open it up the more intelliently considered criteria and the opinions of real clubbers go out the window.

A trendy newcomer like Skrillex above a legend like Carl Cox? Zabiela not making the Top 100? I mean, what's the point?

Last edited by a moderator:
You see, I think it's sad that it needs it's own list. It would be nice to think that we could judge all these DJs from all these popular genres on a level playing field, irrespective of people's usual tastes and biases. I love all electronic music and I hate seeing divisions made and barriers put up.

But you can't trust the public with anything. The more you open it up the more intelliently consider criteria and the opinions of real clubbers go out the window.

A trendy newcomer like Skrillex above a legend like Carl Cox? Zabiela not making the Top 100? I mean, what's the point?
i'd much rather have a 1988-1994 where its all just the dance music scene, it was the scene of my school years, rave/house/techno/ was just dance music, but times have moved on.

and i can see where your coming from, but its a bit like where i can admire the technical /scratching skills of guys at the DMC championships, and will obviously agree people like halliwell /avb/PVD/above & beyond/bt etc etc are technically very good djs....their music, just doesn't do anything for me..i'm not going to go to a club to see them. but fair enough it gets people into big events /festivals, and overall its good for dance music,..(eek did i nearly use the phrase EDM? :D

similar parallel to guitar playing / musical ability...people can talk about the technical merits of steve vai, satriani, jeff beck, clapton and about a thousand people i dont know...but at the end of the day, they can do a thousand guitar solos to the cows come home, but what does it sound like, does it move / interest me?...

at the end up i'd take the ramones over anything steve vai has ever done....& for me the best thing jeff beck has ever done is still Hi Ho silver lining!:lol:

sir jimmy saville, dj royalty.

ironic that it was him that really kicked djing off in this country....

Aye, credited as one of the first to use two turntables in that 100 top clubbing moments doc. Just slightly less important than ecstasy. :eek: No jokes about swallowing, please. :rolleyes:

The Peel stuff is widely documented... (legally) married a 15 yr old in America in the 70s. Sounds like he got up to dodgy groupie stuff early in his career, perhaps just part of the times, but not a serial nonce like Savile.

110. Morgan Page
111. Blood Beetroots
112. Bassnecar
113. Leon Bolier
114. Guns 4 Hire
115. Astrix
116. Joachim Garraud
117. Boy George
118. Ashley Wallbridge
119. Mastiksoul
120. Adaro
121. Super8 & Tab

Aye, credited as one of the first to use two turntables in that 100 top clubbing moments doc. Just slightly less important than ecstasy. :eek: No jokes about swallowing, please. :rolleyes:

The Peel stuff is widely documented... (legally) married a 15 yr old in America in the 70s. Sounds like he got up to dodgy groupie stuff early in his career, perhaps just part of the times, but not a serial nonce like Savile.
i kenw about saville's battle to get djing recognised as a social thing...his battle with the bbc & the musicians union...he would pay to have the band turn up and just sit, while he played records, just so the Union didn't cause him hassle...he was also the first big club touring dj, after the success of his first club, he would go would around and help design other clubs, pick the playlists / djs etc way back then.

the idris elba programme disdn't really do him justice on that show really, he should've been higher up.

the how clubbing changed the world show did have some good clips, was a good bit of nostalgia....

Well, it's because of Jimmy Saville and those that followed him that we ended up with the massive dance halls of the 60s and 70s (Syndicate in Bristol is one example). My parents used to go to that club in the 70s.

There was an interview of him awhile back, saying that one of the first venues he went to had only set up a single turntable for him. He asked for a second, and they said there wasn't any point as the single turntable they'd given him was well built and wouldn't break, not getting the idea of playing one track straight in to another without a gap.

Sadly, most of this big dance halls just went bust towards the end of the UK superclub era. Those that survive now are a very different beast.

110. Morgan Page
111. Blood Beetroots
112. Bassnecar
113. Leon Bolier
114. Guns 4 Hire
115. Astrix
116. Joachim Garraud
117. Boy George
118. Ashley Wallbridge
119. Mastiksoul
120. Adaro
121. Super8 & Tab
Maybe I'm just getting old or out of touch but I only recognise Boy George and Astrix out of that lot. Fire by Astrix is one of my all time favourite tunes.

Back