DJ Top 100 2012

Ikoda

So I know how much most of you hate the top 100... but it's that time again, and thought I'd ask anyway!

Who has been your top 5 producer\DJs this year, so far?

I've got to get in on this, I support top 100 but it will always be taken over by those mainstream artists who should perhaps be part of a different poll.
I voted for Orjan Nilsen, Ost & Meyer, William de roo, Tenishia & Mark Eteson.

I will be making a point of not voting this year.

I've always been slightly suspicious of the fact that I think people tend to vote for their favourite producers whereas I always made a point of only voting for people that I'd actually seen in the last 12 months.... after all, it is a DJ poll.

But I'm not bothering this year more because I'm sick of the constant spam about it. It only seems like yesterday since Guetta snatched his award and the shamelessly annoying voting campaigns on facebook and twitter actually ended. And now it begins again. Can't be arsed with it anymore.

But, most outstanding DJs for me this year would be Sander Van Doorn (amazing supporting A&B in Brixton) and Markus Schulz (excellent in both Ibiza and Cream in Liverpool in October). :p

Above & Beyond (who I have enjoyed sets from many times in the past and who released a great album last year) should be nowhere near anyone's list. Their sets at Cream Amnesia last year and Brixton at Easter were as anodyne and predictable as you could possibly imagine. You could have written the tracklist out yourself before you went to the gig. :(

I'll vote when I've done any festivals I do, and go back to Ibiza.

I only ever vote on DJs I've seen, but productions help.

At this point in the year:
1) Markus Schulz (Has done nothing bout wow me live, love his productions and podcast)
2) Gareth Emery (amazing live, productions aren't so great though, and not a fan of his podcast)
3) MaRLo (Played a brilliant set at ASOT 550 London and Colors, great productions)
4) Rank 1 (Played great sets at DS, Gods Closing and ASOT 550, with some great productions too)
5) Not sure yet

This will be the first time since 2007 that Ferry Corsten or Above & Beyond don't appear on my list, as both have been terrible live as of late. :(

This will be the first time since 2007 that Ferry Corsten or Above & Beyond don't appear on my list, as both have been terrible live as of late. :(

Agree to a large extent here. When you consider the likes of Schulz and Armin are performing at such a high level everytime they play, it's pretty astounding that two artists of such experience and standing could slip into playing what is basically pure mediocrity.

I'm not quite jumping on the Anjuna-hate bandwagon just yet because I still respect Above & Beyond hugely for what they've done in trance. Still love 70%+ of what the label releases. But accolades for DJing? Definitely not at the moment.

i predict guetta, SHM, Afrojack as the top 3, maybe skrillex if his american fans bother to rig the vote.

top 5 djs / producers this year:

1. andrew weatherall & sean johnston - ALFOS has been killing it this year.
2. Seth troxler - he's the new larry levan
3. hawtin - if only for his 6hr set at Time Warp...still doing it his way...very keen to see what the Enter night will be like.
4. Eats Everything
5. Ben UFO

surely it should be 'top 100 in dance music' as the line between dj and producer is almost non existant even tho we have producers admitting they cant dj for toffee. plus people like guetta have exceeded the 'dj' description yet he is jusged for his whole portfolio. The whole thing is outdated , unrepresentitive , misleading , corrupt and frankly dull.

I mentioned David Rodigan earlier as he's a true dj and more in every sense. a 'selector' , radio disc jockey , performer and entertainer , battles other dj's head to head (soundclash braaaaaaap!!!) , and is respected by every single person in his side of the music business. show me more than a couple others who deserve such high addulation??? If you dont know you really need to get to know

I mentioned David Rodigan earlier as he's a true dj and more in every sense. a 'selector' , radio disc jockey , performer and entertainer , battles other dj's head to head (soundclash braaaaaaap!!!) , and is respected by every single person in his side of the music business. show me more than a couple others who deserve such high addulation??? If you dont know you really need to get to know

Go on I'll bite...Nice comments on Rodigan but there are more technically skilled dj's out there. Not many but he isn't the top dog.

Go on I'll bite...Nice comments on Rodigan but there are more technically skilled dj's out there. Not many but he isn't the top dog.

haha well if we gona go there then nor are most of the people who get voted in the top ten. if your gona get technical then Dj Craze , A-Track , Andy C , Hawtin , Jeff Mills etc should be top 10 every time. This is my point its too wide a thing to call it the dj top 100.

Eats Everything has been mentioned 2 or 3 times above but he's only been on the scene recently , does anyone really know his technical dj ability? He has made some big tunes and is a big newcomer but mainly as a producer. Thats not to say his dj sets aren't great but i dont think he's consistantly proven himsef against others. Im probably refuting my earlier argument of it being 'dull' by getting into the conversation whoops!

haha well if we gona go there then nor are most of the people who get voted in the top ten. if your gona get technical then Dj Craze , A-Track , Andy C , Hawtin , Jeff Mills etc should be top 10 every time. This is my point its too wide a thing to call it the dj top 100.

Eats Everything has been mentioned 2 or 3 times above but he's only been on the scene recently , does anyone really know his technical dj ability? He has made some big tunes and is a big newcomer but mainly as a producer. Thats not to say his dj sets aren't great but i dont think he's consistantly proven himsef against others. Im probably refuting my earlier argument of it being 'dull' by getting into the conversation whoops!
i've seen eats everything dj twice this year, bugged out weekenderr & at rockness, and i thought he was on point and his general flow of the sets (which were at very different times) suited the crowd he was playing too very well.

that and he played one of my fav tracks to close out at rockness...danny tenaglia - music is the answer8)

I could never choose one dj as my favourite I would need to enter a long list of djs that I favour and all for different reasons, some for technical ability others for playing amazing tune after tune. Some I may not have even seen but I have lots of podcasts of theirs and some I have seen a few times. Some have been around for a long time others not so. Robert Hood, DVS1, Ben Klock, Efdemin, Mathias Kaden, Richie Hawtin, Mark Broom, Derrick May, Move D, Blawan, Derrick Carter, Ben Sims, Sneak, Carl Craig, Steve Lawler the list could go on forever.

People are missing the point; it's an annual vote and therefore you should vote on who has been your top DJ over the course of the year.

Agree to a large extent here. When you consider the likes of Schulz and Armin are performing at such a high level everytime they play, it's pretty astounding that two artists of such experience and standing could slip into playing what is basically pure mediocrity.

Have found myself going off Armin in the last year or so. I think now that I like to the likes of Markus' dark and techie sets, and Emery's fast paced, mashup sets, Armin does seem a tad bit boring now.

I'm not quite jumping on the Anjuna-hate bandwagon just yet because I still respect Above & Beyond hugely for what they've done in trance. Still love 70%+ of what the label releases. But accolades for DJing? Definitely not at the moment.

I'm still a massive fan of the Anjuna label, both beats and deep. It's still one of my favourite, but live? A&B have completely lost their way. I've seen them at least 15 times now I reckon, and they've steadily got less and less interesting with each gig. Their best gig for me was Trance Energy 2010. That was A&B at their pinnacle, before Group Therapy. (not that it was a bad album)

Back