Dance Music: Where are things at?

Impossible question to answer. But Would the clubs/Ibiza still be as busy if we didn’t know who was playing, but just knew the genre of dance music for the event. For me it wouldn’t matter as long as I’m dancing to the music I like. Like the good old days I suppose.

I'd probably be as happy with that tbh, especially if it meant the DJs took risks, mixed it up and maybe brought ticket prices down. Going to see a DJ isn't like going to see a live show... Ultimately (as the old saying goes) they're just people that play other people's records - hopefully those records are interesting/good ones.

I'd probably be as happy with that tbh, especially if it meant the DJs took risks, mixed it up and maybe brought ticket prices down. Going to see a DJ isn't like going to see a live show... Ultimately (as the old saying goes) they're just people that play other people's records - hopefully those records are interesting/good ones.

This. I think what's changed massively is the way the hype machine no longer revolves around big summer tunes anymore. Esp when you consider people in the past falling over themselves to land a copy of Stardust, Horny, Needin U, Groovejet.. That would never happen now because the music is redundant. djs will play whatever files they get sent as long as it fits the formula. Maybe less the case at glitterbox which is vocal heavy but elsewhere people would never know/care

Are we saying it's not as good as it used to be?🫣

To be fair, I'm sure I'd agree if I as ever likely to step foot in a club again, but the kids don't care. We're comparing to things that are so different that the only link is one created the other a long time ago.

Are we saying it's not as good as it used to be?🫣

To be fair, I'm sure I'd agree if I as ever likely to step foot in a club again, but the kids don't care. We're comparing to things that are so different that the only link is one created the other a long time ago.
Aren't we replicating your crawl/jolly this summer? Big anniversary reunion isn't it? 😂

Saw this and immediately thought of this thread

the djs i used to see playing together in London like say xpress 2 or the innervisions lot, used to complement each other. No fuss. Just mates having fun. Now it’s just twatty egos hogging the limelight

Dance site Beatburguer confirming the drift away from reggaeton. My own non-scientific hunch is the clubs overreached because the kids who love this stuff wouldn't be in those clubs. The wealthier mainland kids who go over, go for El Row and branded parties like that. The barrio kids who like urban sounds don't generally leave the barrio... so you're relying on a very limited local catchment area cos tourists from Stockport or Rotterdam sure as hell aren't going to be getting down to Daddy Yankee.

Dance site Beatburguer confirming the drift away from reggaeton. My own non-scientific hunch is the clubs overreached because the kids who love this stuff wouldn't be in those clubs. The wealthier mainland kids who go over, go for El Row and branded parties like that. The barrio kids who like urban sounds don't generally leave the barrio... so you're relying on a very limited local catchment area cos tourists from Stockport or Rotterdam sure as hell aren't going to be getting down to Daddy Yankee.

Well I think I speak for everyone when I say what tremendously bad news this is, a real loss to the scene

The seeming shift away from Reggaeton is interesting and it's 100% tied to a lot of the discussion in the gossip thread about ticket pricing (directly and indirectly). Something to discuss in about six months in the season review

There's still lots of gaps in the calendar though...

and a quick glance at Es Paradis shows lots of Latin and Hip-Hop

Generally, the popularity of Reggaeton continues to rise (the streaming figures keep going up and up) I think we're truly just waiting on the northern Europeans making their mind up about it (Reggaeton parties becoming almost a weekly thing in London) - that will be the deciding factor in its longevity on Ibiza

Last edited:
would be interesting to get a full demographic breakdown of who goes to the clubs each season now (or does data protection law prevent that?) - by age, nationality and other features. I think London is an outlier UK-wise in so far as a massive South American population clustered around Brixton, Stockwell, Elephant drives the latin scene there (maybe there is some crossover, I have no idea?) I certainly remember a few surreal nights at the Corsica Studios BITD where there was all of us at one end of the smoking area munted off our chops, and then a whole load of latinos a few yards away who were anything but taking a breather from the salsa next door!

I think London is an outlier UK-wise in so far as a massive South American population clustered around Brixton, Stockwell, Elephant drives the latin scene there (maybe there is some crossover, I have no idea?)
absolutely and to the best of my knowledge, it's a predominantly South American second or third generation crowd at these London parties (though not like Ibiza is lacking a South American community either)

3 or 4 years ago, the likes of Little Mix and Ed Sheeran were jumping on the Latin bandwagon - are they still? I can't say they are, but then again I'm not exactly looking 😂

To be fair I was more horrified to learn this week that the recent Jason Derulo version was actually in fact 14 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun I guess

following on from that Oasis article, the AI thing is going to get very interesting. this is an excellent article

basically I would add that when pop/dance/rnb/latin became beholden to autotune after Cher and Akon had those massive hits it meant it no longer mattered what your real voice sounded like. the story of the last 20 years. but if AI can simulate your autotuned voice, then what happens next? not just the legal side but people actually knowing what's real. so you could have a farcical situation where you don't know which autotune is real and which is a fake. so in a way by trying to cheat the public with shitty helium vocals for years, they've now shot themselves in the foot..

The same will happen in DJing too. Everyone's days are numbered and I don't think the industry fully realises where this is logically heading

Back