Dance Music: Where are things at?

I am so happily surprised the resurgence in drum and bass these days, at least here in USA.

The DnB sets at Ultra Music Festival and Miami Music Week last month had a great turnout, including a pretty packed Sunday night after party. Artists like Wilkinson, Dimension, and Sub Focus seem to be having successful shows across the country. And collaborations with more mainstream names are putting DnB tracks and artists in front of more people.

Normally I give Armin a hard time about his big sets these days (can we say "Bon Jovi"? 🙄) but hearing a bit of DnB in one of his closing tracks on the Ultra mainstage felt pretty amazing.

I kinda feel sorry for her tbh. Absolute humiliation in front of thousands. On any human level, that is the ultimate nightmare. And to single her out when what 80-90% of all dance music performance is now fake theatrics seems incredibly unfair.

I kinda feel sorry for her tbh. Absolute humiliation in front of thousands. On any human level, that is the ultimate nightmare. And to single her out when what 80-90% of all dance music performance is now fake theatrics seems incredibly unfair.
I got bored of the story very very quickly.
I'm more concerned whether or not Cath my remembers to pick up some broccoli and butter on her way home.
She's an artist*, not a DJ.
Needless to say, Id never heard of her.

*Edit - performer, you are right @The Sun God

Last edited:
I dunno if anyone has heard of udio (audio without the 'a'), but its a generative ai for making music.

Currently really hit and miss, but I was surprised how a non-music person like me could create reasonably sounding stuff quickly.

Its still in infancy, but could imagine in not too many years, DJs instead of just pushing play button *cough david guetta cough*, instead have a real time prompt to react to audience. Eg "bright vocals now", "phat 808 synth" etc.

Like all gen ai stuff at min, it lacks the granularity of control a proper music program with samples and tracks have.

But might be "good enough" for people wanting some random bop music for gym, social media videos etc.

🤷‍♂️ (ps don't shoot the messenger 🤣)

Edit: ps, there a random range of stuff in my above playlists. Some dance type, others not so. The main site has lots of weird stuff. One guy does 1950s style songs about a guy sh*ting his pants in different situations 🤣

I dunno if anyone has heard of udio (audio without the 'a'), but its a generative ai for making music.

Currently really hit and miss, but I was surprised how a non-music person like me could create reasonably sounding stuff quickly.

Its still in infancy, but could imagine in not too many years, DJs instead of just pushing play button *cough david guetta cough*, instead have a real time prompt to react to audience. Eg "bright vocals now", "phat 808 synth" etc.

Like all gen ai stuff at min, it lacks the granularity of control a proper music program with samples and tracks have.

But might be "good enough" for people wanting some random bop music for gym, social media videos etc.

Edit: ps, there a random range of stuff in my above playlists. Some dance type, others not so. The main site has lots of weird stuff. One guy does 1950s style songs about a guy sh*ting his pants in different situations 🤣

AI is moving so fast I think it will eventually come for DJs, sound guys, lighting crews, marketing people, pretty much everybody except the bouncers and bar staff. If you run a club you stand to save a fortune on fees and ultimately offer the same product to punters. The only challenge will be determining your USP.

AI is moving so fast I think it will eventually come for DJs, sound guys, lighting crews, marketing people, pretty much everybody except the bouncers and bar staff.
I went to an Asian restaurant in Amsterdam where there was a robot cocktail maker. Obviously all pre-programmed and beyond the excitement of the first time you order, a bit of a naff gimmick. Not sure how much "mixology" was actually involved

Still, I reckon you might get treated more humanely being ejected from a venue by a robot than a brute with a steroid dependency

I went to an Asian restaurant in Amsterdam where there was a robot cocktail maker. Obviously all pre-programmed and beyond the excitement of the first time you order, a bit of a naff gimmick. Not sure how much "mixology" was actually involved

Still, I reckon you might get treated more humanely being ejected from a venue by a robot than a brute with a steroid dependency

Which is exactly why I think bar staff are safe for now

*does surprise me more venues don't include (non-booze) drinks machines though to offset queues at bars

Which is exactly why I think bar staff are safe for now

*does surprise me more venues don't include (non-booze) drinks machines though to offset queues at bars

Arenas in the UK have self pint pouring machines and I beleive Supermarkets getting scanners that can try and judge if you look under 25. But of course this technology costs a lot so it'll only be at the biggest chain venues first.

Arenas in the UK have self pint pouring machines and I beleive Supermarkets getting scanners that can try and judge if you look under 25. But of course this technology costs a lot so it'll only be at the biggest chain venues first.
Also seen at the cricket. The pint machines, not the checkouts....

Suggesting an AI solution to djing whilst poking fun at Guetta for perhaps having pre made sets....... Im lost

Back