Dance Music: Where are things at?

Interesting that he mentions East End Dubs, a guy who has made his career out of making edits of bait pop songs. Don't think he's much better tbh
Can't find it now put there's a video clip from Hideout of Patrick Topping playing near enough hard house.

Can't find it now put there's a video clip from Hideout of Patrick Topping playing near enough hard house.
Yeah, got to say I'm not feeling his direction these last few years
It's pretty ear bleed.
I do find it interesting how this new generation of DJs are distancing themselves from my era though. I find what they're playing absolutely awful. But I think that's kind of the point

It's pretty ear bleed.
I do find it interesting how this new generation of DJs are distancing themselves from my era though. I find what they're playing absolutely awful. But I think that's kind of the point

I don't go out out anymore, but everything new I see online seems to sound like a cross between the EDM sound focused on the 'drop' and hard house.

I do also get I'm not the target audience, and the kids would rightly not care what I think, it just seems a bit basic.

I don't go out out anymore, but everything new I see online seems to sound like a cross between the EDM sound focused on the 'drop' and hard house.

I do also get I'm not the target audience, and the kids would rightly not care what I think, it just seems a bit basic.

EDM is even if we dont want to admit it an effective style for big crowds, its not a surprise to see elements of it coming back in and some festival crowds have a short attention span and want that drop, drop, drop, ice cannon, drop.

Aside from the awful music choices the issue in that Shack clip is someone has spent time making a child like voiceover that just isnt funny, its like he expected the crowd to hear 'Lions dont sleep in the effing jungle' and roll around laughing and then go wild...its far too scripted.

it's all about the novelty angle now. The last few years have seen so many stunts and gimmicks they're now considered normal. ritchie hawtin djing in the sea, that total whopper with the cakes, paris effing hilton and 5000 other grinning celebs pretending to blend music to a galaxy of phones.

just waiting for the spinal tap sequel featuring someone like say matthew herbert doing a live dj set featuring intermittent stereophonic farting.

Yeah that’s kind of Topping / Trick sound now. Ben Hemsley, Hannah Laing etc.

I know there are some easy targets, but equally surprised that DJ Tennis & Carlita (Astra Club) seem to get away with playing Zombie Nation, Freed from Desire & Be / Show me Luv pretty much every set

I know there are some easy targets, but equally surprised that DJ Tennis & Carlita (Astra Club) seem to get away with playing Zombie Nation, Freed from Desire & Be / Show me Luv pretty much every set

Is that these are 'new' to the the kids? So they'll a have short shelflife for a new audience ? I'm sure someone can knock up a spreadsheet with average punter age, average earliest exposure to 'dance' music, and mine the big hits of year with an optimal date when they will be new to most punters...*

*in fact a good friend of mine of, formerly of this parish, could do it seconds and probably name all the hits of each year of the top of his head :lol:

Yes I didn't like them at all when they played at Hi for black coffee

Is that these are 'new' to the the kids? So they'll a have short shelflife for a new audience ? I'm sure someone can knock up a spreadsheet with average punter age, average earliest exposure to 'dance' music, and mine the big hits of year with an optimal date when they will be new to most punters...*

*in fact a good friend of mine of, formerly of this parish, could do it seconds and probably name all the hits of each year of the top of his head :lol:

Ive done some Wedding/Event DJing before and the sweet spot is always music people remember from being 18-21 as that is when they went on their first holiday with their mates, proms, Uni ball's, first festival etc.

There does seem to be a particular love for 1999/2000 though with the Tiktok generation, they love the fashion. It was also of course an elite era for Dance Music!

Ive done some Wedding/Event DJing before and the sweet spot is always music people remember from being 18-21 as that is when they went on their first holiday with their mates, proms, Uni ball's, first festival etc.

There does seem to be a particular love for 1999/2000 though with the Tiktok generation, they love the fashion. It was also of course an elite era for Dance Music!
Might be why you get the oldies about younsters at 'heritage' events. Fairly sure the tracks mentions above 'Zombie Nation, Freed from Desire & Be / Show me Luv' all featured in videos from Clockstock on Saturday.

It's pretty ear bleed.
Getting a lot of the new dj’s in trance going down the clubland / hard house route. Each to their own and all that as it seems popular. I think it’s all slowly heading in that direction again. Seems to be the classics / popular / cheese remixed to a clubland beat.

Off the top of my head I’ve heard, Maddison Avenue, Better Off Alone, Basement Jaxx & Eminem all remixed.

I think it’s all slowly heading in that direction again. Seems to be the classics / popular / cheese remixed to a clubland beat.

er no it isn’t all heading that way. The people I know in music have nothing to do with that shite. Plenty of people in Ibiza have nothing to do with it either

Back