☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of the problem is that it's hard to imagine going from where we are now to the economy being completely open and social distancing ended 3.5 months away. It's hard to imagine festivals happening. And yet, in Australia, they're doing exactly that right now

We all remember how things were last summer. This summer we'll be in a considerably more advantageous position than that

But if everything’s menna be normal by end of June whats the need in extending it to September?
My view is that this will help confidence in consumers and business and to stop firms just making a lot of furloughed staff redundant as soon as the scheme stops and allow people to continue to spend to aid the recovery ... personally I don’t think this is particularly linked to the medium term outlook on the pandemic but more economic policy to ride out the worst of the economic impact on jobs ... the flip side would be companies hit by ~18 months of lost turnover would try to survive on lower staffing levels but as unemployment rises no one (or a lot less people) would be spending to boost the economy at its time of need ... they are in this far (with mega borrowing) might not as well blow it now

Now for us on the continent, things aren't looking as rosy - looks like Brits on vacation in Spain aren't going to be disturbed by evil Germans snatching away sunloungers this year :(

I am sure you will get into Spain by summertime with a vaccine or negative test.

Do you want to switch places? I am an American and my current trip is for 99 days from today... taking bets!!!

this forum is really interesting as to how things are going on the ground globally
It’s interesting to see the cultural differences that this pandemic has highlighted. America in general has a higher risk tolerance than Europe, and we can see it clearly here.

I think us opening up early will help push Europe to follow suit. Fingers crossed it doesn’t blow up in our face.

It’s interesting to see the cultural differences that this pandemic has highlighted. America in general has a higher risk tolerance than Europe, and we can see it clearly here.

I think us opening up early will help push Europe to follow suit. Fingers crossed it doesn’t blow up in our face.

I for one know a few americans who look at texas and go 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

It may be a great example of not what to do....everyone will be watching...

Can't believe he said no face masks also

if things go wrong which they probably will he will be to blame

Last month there was a lot of talk about difference between Florida and California. The two most extreme examples in the US. After shutting down briefly in March/April, Florida has been wide open since this began. California was more European in its public health policy. There was not a lot of difference, apparently.

I for one know a few americans who look at texas and go 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

That’s my knee jerk reaction too, but the numbers tell a different story. Florida has had packed bars and clubs for awhile, and they are fine. Texas is taking it a step forward and removing face masks (which I think is silly). But if I were a betting man, I think you see some slight increases there, but not enough to matter.

That’s my knee jerk reaction too, but the numbers tell a different story. Florida has had packed bars and clubs for awhile, and they are fine. Texas is taking it a step forward and removing face masks (which I think is silly). But if I were a betting man, I think you see some slight increases there, but not enough to matter.
Not 100% accurate. Florida is still seing 6-7,000 cases a day (from a state known to manipulate their data or outright falsify it).

Texas just got their ass handed to them from a winter storm that showed how inept their electrical grid is and the governor is trying to pivot the news cycle away from that. It's a 100% politcal move with zero f***s given. No one except for covid deniers thinks this is a good thing.

Not 100% accurate. Florida is still seing 6-7,000 cases a day (from a state known to manipulate their data or outright falsify it).

Texas just got their ass handed to them from a winter storm that showed how inept their electrical grid is and the governor is trying to pivot the news cycle away from that. It's a 100% politcal move with zero f***s given. No one except for covid deniers thinks this is a good thing.

I mean Florida is no New Zealand, but their hospitals aren’t exactly overflowing. We’ll see about Texas.

Some folks on twitter have calculated we may have the capacity to offer every adult a dose by the end of May. Which would tie in nicely with the “3 weeks for protection” taking us to June 21st.

For full initial protection from AZ it takes about 4 weeks (it's pfizer that's 3) and it's not clear how well transmission is interrupted by just one dose. I'll bet they are now banking on the single-dose Janssen jab pretty much doing the job for the under 40s. It only makes sense to go with these timeframes if there's a major positive impact on transmission from a single jab.

For full initial protection from AZ it takes about 4 weeks (it's pfizer that's 3) and it's not clear how well transmission is interrupted by just one dose. I'll bet they are now banking on the single-dose Janssen jab pretty much doing the job for the under 40s. It only makes sense to go with these timeframes if there's a major positive impact on transmission from a single jab.
Will it also get to a stage especially in Spring summer where under 40s that are not jabbed do actually spread the virus but the vast majority are asymptomatic and therefore formally collected case numbers per 100k stay very low as restrictions lifted and hospitalisations are negligible?

Not withstanding the level of infection aquired immuntiy which exists in the population. More so amongst younger age groups as those who have had it will have all have survived, barring a few exceptions.

Last edited:
The Indians have a new Vax with some high profile people over there getting it this week. Shows 80% efficiency in trials, that’s 80% effective in not catching the virus at all! And if you don’t have it you can’t spread it! Game changer if what they are saying is correct.
It’s also manufactured in the traditional way not this new tech the others are using. They are using dead virus in this I think. It’s low cost, and no storage temp issues.
I read somewhere that they believe it to be safe for kids too.
France and Brazil said to be interested in this!

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 it comes on stream and we see these benefits

The Indians have a new Vax with some high profile people over there getting it this week. Shows 80% efficiency in trials, that’s 80% effective in not catching the virus at all! And if you don’t have it you can’t spread it!
Nope, they are talking about symptomatic cases only (so it's similar to phase 3 trials of other vaccines).

Here is their press release:
Bharat Biotech said:
The primary endpoint of Phase 3 clinical trial is based on the first occurrence of PCR-confirmed symptomatic (mild, moderate, or severe) COVID-19 with onset at least 14 days after the second study vaccination in serologically negative (to SARS-CoV-2) adult participants at baseline.

Asymptomatic spreading by vaccinated people cannot be ruled out at this point (and this again is similar to other vaccines, as I understand it).

Nevertheless, it's good news - the more working vaccines the better.

"higher risk tolerance" is one way of putting it. This is the country which had Trump as president and where a significant number of people still believe his bullcrap.

I find this slightly unnerving - if they only take those who've had two vaccines then the island will be filled with over 60's.

Greece's tourism minister said something slightly more encouraging yesterday - "To some extent the messaging in the news currently about vaccine passports and a Greece/UK corridor is misleading. We in Greece want to make it clear that everyone can visit Greece providing they show a negative COVID test and this is not just limited to those you have had the vaccine and posses a vaccine passport".

I find this slightly unnerving - if they only take those who've had two vaccines then the island will be filled with over 60's.

Greece's tourism minister said something slightly more encouraging yesterday - "To some extent the messaging in the news currently about vaccine passports and a Greece/UK corridor is misleading. We in Greece want to make it clear that everyone can visit Greece providing they show a negative COVID test and this is not just limited to those you have had the vaccine and posses a vaccine passport".

I'm sure it'll be the same here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back