☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrest in the UK? We’ve been on ‘partial lockdown’ for 8 days:lol: people still working,being able to go outdoors for no reason, even some non essential shops are still open for people to go to. Its gunna be months and months (imo) until bars/restaurants start opening back up but i agree with you that they will do with tables being further apart etc
Folk still aren’t getting it. Baffling.

It’s far more likely that we’re still like this in December nevermind being down the cricket with a cargo or in a pub with a one to two metre gap and some table service :lol:

My area of expertise is on the same level as anyone here.
And judging by what I've read from multiple sources...the side effects of the worldwide lockdowns are gonna be terrible. It's not just economic...it's what happens because of the economy. Suicides, depressions..poverty. It's a proven fact that people that lose their jobs and have to live on welfare will live 10 years shorter than the average person. The measures and the economic crisis that will follow ...will also have a death toll. In my country the telephone number dedicated for children in trouble in their own home has seen a huge increase in calls because of their parents working from home and abusing them. And im not even talking about how sad the elderly people are now. If you'd ask my elderly relatives...they say: Give me my life back with the risk of death. There is always a risk of death with living. But the way we are living now is not living at all.
Wait till you know someone directly fighting to get a ventilator in an ICU. This living at all pish and selfishness will soon evaporate.

Someone I work with friends uncle has died from it. Was in his 40s ?.

Up north here we are few weeks behind rest of country, hoping distancing measures reduce severity of it here ?
Yeh mate it’s now getting very close to home, I know two folk that have died and two in ICU’s and dafties are thinking about cricket and pints.
Also one of my pals wife is working in respiratory intensive care and working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week at high risk everyday.

Selfishness and ignorance of some is incredible.

it's simply a matter of everyone being disciplined and patient. latest figures from the balearics give a lot of hope and spain's numbers in general are getting better too.
Last three days the number of new cases (in the UK) has steadied and still hasn't hit the 5000/day mark. Sadly deaths still rise, but those figures should flatten out later as the infection rate flattens out now. What we don't want is a massive jump again.

Wait till you know someone directly fighting to get a ventilator in an ICU. This living at all pish and selfishness will soon evaporate.
The thing is...as soon as someone (me in this case) starts a discussion if the global approach could have been different...these are the answers I get.
I'm not saying the people you know should get no help. I'm not saying all elderly people should die. I'm not saying we should have done nothing at all.

But the discussion that is starting to grow in the Netherlands now (I can't post the articles here cause they're all dutch)...and will start soon all over the world..is:
Was this the right approach or will more healthy young people eventually die from the approach rather than from the disease on the long term? There are many experts (health, economy, philosophy, society) who are debating these lockdowns without a solid plan or perspective.

I know I said I was done with this topic, but since people keep quoting me and coming with the same kinda responses...I repeat: I am not saying we should let your elderly or risk group family die. I'm saying there should be room for a critical view on this approach.
Not to let me go to Ibiza in June or have a festival this summer.....but to make sure we and the generation that comes after us still has a decent life too. Cause if this goes on too long, we're ruining that.

But I think the counter point to your argument is there are a lot of unquantifiable things in the above (never mind a lot of those things happen regardless).

Where as it is *very* quantifiable that lots will die if social distancing etc is not done. (Until vaccine, antibody test etc)

Damned if you do or don't, but imho taking a different approach and *adding* a lot more deaths (40m +) to those other things isn't that great. A lot of the other things can be solved by taking action (basic income, shelters for vulnerable etc), but no alternative at min to reduce death toll from covid19 ? (esp with all stupid mouth breathers out there)

The thing is...as soon as someone (me in this case) starts a discussion if the global approach could have been different...these are the answers I get.
I'm not saying the people you know should get no help. I'm not saying all elderly people should die. I'm not saying we should have done nothing at all.

But the discussion that is starting to grow in the Netherlands now (I can't post the articles here cause they're all dutch)...and will start soon all over the world..is:
Was this the right approach or will more healthy young people eventually die from the approach rather than from the disease on the long term? There are many experts (health, economy, philosophy, society) who are debating these lockdowns without a solid plan or perspective.

I know I said I was done with this topic, but since people keep quoting me and coming with the same kinda responses...I repeat: I am not saying we should let your elderly or risk group family die. I'm saying there should be room for a critical view on this approach.
Not to let me go to Ibiza in June or have a festival this summer.....but to make sure we and the generation that comes after us still has a decent life too. Cause if this goes on too long, we're ruining that.
I would imagine that the response will be fully reviewed, was it too slow? Appropriate? And any part of that will be juggling the numbers. However aren't all virus's different, so what could well be the correct response to one would be totally inappropriate to another?

well @ElrowLovers obviously a lot of people simply couldn't disagree more with your views. I said it yesterday, no one should attack you for your views, but I personally also understand people get emotional about this
Yeah I get it. It's an emotional topic and I think even most politicians are acting upon those emotions.
But yeah I get it, most people disagree. If you look at countries, the only country in the whole world that agrees seems to be Sweden.
I fully understand the emotions. I get that my first few replies on the matter would make me seem cold or heartless, so that's another reason I came back to the topic cause I did not want to create that image of me, that's not who I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back