☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the closer we got to the end, the saner the discussion would become.
I was wrong
It's because we are not getting closer to the end.
Apparently this has no end because our governments are misusing the situation to maintain control and power. Everyone who predicted that months ago was told to go wear a tin foil hat.
In the meanwhile the most vulnerable people are vaccinated so some people find their chances to get back to normality...such as going to raves in places where it's allowed again. The dj's and the audience get called out for it on this forum...of all places.
So I agree with you, the discussion has not become saner at all.

Last edited:
Apparently this has no end because our governments are misusing the situation for maintaining control and power.
Things in the UK are opening up. My amateur football league restarted at the weekend. Pubs and restaurants can open outdoor areas from next Monday. My kids favourite soft play place opens next Monday.

Progress may be slower than many would like, and the UK government has made a hash of the whole situation, with only the vaccine rollout being done well, but it is a cast iron fact that things are on their way back to normal.

Everyone who predicted that months ago was told to go wear a tin foil hat
Is that what happened? I really don't think that happened at all. Especially not on this forum

I think what did happen here, is a lot of tinfollery got ridiculed and shot down

Concurrently, lots of people who thought that lockdowns were a neccesary evil, also didn't trust their government's intentions

Concurrently, lots of people who thought that lockdowns were a neccesary evil, also didn't trust their government's intentions

Yup, but for some, those beliefs are mutually exclusive. You can't believe extreme interventions were required and also know some people in power took advantage off the situation. Taking a polarised position is easy. Admitting you don't know a lot is a lot less comforting.

Things in the UK are opening up. My amateur football league restarted at the weekend. Pubs and restaurants can open outdoor areas from next Monday. My kids favourite soft play place opens next Monday.

Progress may be slower than many would like, and the UK government has made a hash of the whole situation, with only the vaccine rollout being done well, but it is a cast iron fact that things are on their way back to normal.
I've read different things about the UK. A semi-lockdown and a test-based society even when you're vaccinated.

Is that what happened? I really don't think that happened at all. Especially not on this forum

I think what did happen here, is a lot of tinfollery got ridiculed and shot down

Concurrently, lots of people who thought that lockdowns were a neccesary evil, also didn't trust their governments intentions
It happened. Whenever I or someone else stated governments would not give back the freedom they took so easily...that statement got ridiculed and I got asked multiple times why governments would do that and what the motive for that would be. We're seeing it unfold now. A test or vaccine - based society, where you are sick until proven healthy and you're only allowed to take part in social gatherings if the government approves.

It happened. Whenever I or someone else stated governments would not give back the freedom they took so easily...that statement got ridiculed and I got asked multiple times why governments would do that and what the motive for that would be. We're seeing it unfold now. A test or vaccine - based society, where you are sick until proven healthy and you're only allowed to take part in social gatherings if the government approves.
I said it myself. As did many others who took the opposite stand point to you on lockdowns. Nobody ridiculed you for that and I suspect you know that

if you genuinely think that's the reason why people disagreed with you, I invite you to go back and have another read

Last edited:

Agreed.

Son back at school, I played golf Friday, had beers with my mates Saturday in the garden, football with the lads Sunday (managed 80 mins o_O) and have haircut and pub table booked in a week.

Also tickets for Sasha warehouse party in early July.

Def tide has changed so hoping it continues.

Yup, but for some, those beliefs are mutually exclusive. You can't believe extreme interventions were required and also know some people in power took advantage off the situation. Taking a polarised position is easy. Admitting you don't know a lot is a lot less comforting.
I think you're right when you say extreme interventions were required in the beginning of the pandemic. We were seeing the first disturbing images from China (we can question those images now btw...have we ever seen bodies in the streets?) and the EU had no idea so they followed Italy's example and put lockdowns in place.

But around summer 2020...this is what governments should have said:

- About those lockdowns, we had no scientific base for that but we did not know what to do...we will stop it now and inform you about the risks of this virus and give advise to shield the vulnerable instead of just continuing with it or putting them back in place again.
- We will do our uttermost to create more healthcare capacity
- We discovered outdoor transmission is VERY unlikely, so let's move as much as stuff possible to outdoors in the coming months
- Evening curfews are nonsense, even though other countries are enforcing them, we don't see any benefits in terms of battling the virus
- Facemasks don't work, you can wear them if you want, but we're not forcing you to wear something on your face.
- If you feel sick, take a test and self-quarantine where needed

Instead they just keep locking people up and are now pushing us into a society where you can get your fundamental rights and freedom back under conditions.

People in the UK believing that on 21st June, or the equivalent in whatever region you're in, we magically go back to 2019 way of life are going to be sorely disappointed I think. Just a head's up now

It was always going to be gradual easing. Even after the current announced tiers (when haven't there been some form of tiers during this crisis?)

Instead they just keep locking people up and are now pushing us into a society where you can get your fundamental rights and freedom back under conditions.

Maybe in the Netherlands, but not the U.K.
So stop making it sound like it is everywhere

Say what you like about the U.K. government and whether you agree with the roadmap or not - but we are sticking to it and I expect we will hit the April 12th and May milestones with no problem

People in the UK believing that on 21st June, or the equivalent in whatever region you're in, we magically go back to 2019 way of life are going to be sorely disappointed I think. Just a head's up now

Very much dependent on where you are in your life and unfortunately, the young lose out most. For me, now football's back on, and I can take my kids out and about, there's very little else I need.

If you read the weekend reports threads from 15 years ago, however, those weekends just aren't possible now. I do feel for the youngsters - they pretty much lost last year, much of this one too. Quite how single kids are managing without meeting randoms, I don't know. I know they have Tinder etc and may well be skirting the rules on meeting, but going out and meeting strangers can't be replaced.

Here's hoping for them for the near future

Speaking for myself I probably got a bit too wound up on here yesterday. Arguing achieves nada as I always belatedly realise...

I think it's partly irritation when I consider all those people I know who have been through absolute hell and it's also late-stage frustration. We've come this far and would hate people to mess it up now by going rogue

There's also a deeper issue here about what clubbing is supposed to be - a family or a greedy, cut-throat industry? a separate debate perhaps but one that is really relevant to where things are now

yeah, i mean the agoraphobes have had a cracking 13 months
when-you-find-out-your-nomal-daily-lifestyle-is-called-quarantine-meme.jpg

😬

There's also a deeper issue here about what clubbing is supposed to be - a family or a greedy, cut-throat industry? a separate debate perhaps but one that is really relevant to where things are now

'Clubbing' is big business. There might be some vestiges of where it came from left, I know you've posted about people doing it for love still etc, but to most of the world it's an industry, cranking out huge profits to a handful of top earners. Those among that set playing gigs to keep earning, most likely putting poor people in those areas at risk, says everything about the machine

Positive take for the morning in addition to the sun being out, Moderna is now coming on stream in the UK. 17M doses. Will that plug the AZ-shaped hole in the interim?
I’ve seen reports of “only” 500k a week so not sure it’ll have a massive impact.

Maybe in the Netherlands, but not the U.K.
So stop making it sound like it is everywhere

Say what you like about the U.K. government and whether you agree with the roadmap or not - but we are sticking to it and I expect we will hit the April 12th and May milestones with no problem
Good luck.
I don't think UK wil stick to that roadmap and all EU countries will turn to the 'conditional freedom model', which is very worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back