☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a lot more to the economics of tourism than a DJ to a party. And you can ask the who benefits question, and make up the old lady story for anything related to tourism really. You either shut everything down or not.

They surely ought not to have been keeping the countries open for international tourism without the facilities to mop up the aftermath which have stretched way beyond the areas of the country which have stood to benefit. Apart from those directly employed in the industry, the economic benefits of mainstream Mexican tourism are predominantly concentrated in the hands of a relatively small few.

The real irresponsible parties alongside those vacationing are the countries allowing their residents to travel to these places without arrival quarantine on return as a deterrent. It's just another case of turning a blind eye to what happens abroad - except in this case the consequences will come back to bite everyone as these countries are a hotbed of variant mutation. Just as has now happened in Brazil and will no doubt happen elsewhere.

Its the same as Ibz : Normally you have to open because of the economy. But it will cause deaths and long Covid Cases. Life has priority in our culture. Before economical reasons. That means : No party , no clubbing , no risk , until Covid is nearly over and the risk is tolerable.
Its sooooo easy

It’s not black and white though. How do you define “when Covid is over”? Why can’t smaller outdoor parties happen as things improve?

I also hope you apply the same logic for other activities such as going to church, gym, restaurants, weddings, etc.

I’m just glad the US does not take the life as a priority culture as far as some other countries.

It’s not black and white though. How do you define “when Covid is over”? Why can’t smaller outdoor parties happen as things improve?

I also hope you apply the same logic for other activities such as going to church, gym, restaurants, weddings, etc.

I’m just glad the US does not take the life as a priority culture as far as some other countries.

Thats correct. Thats the question which is to answer. I for me have no exact answer. Zero deaths because of covid are impossible , maybe , for a longer time. If we have a bad flu season , nothing was closed and it caused deaths. I dont know where the limit is . But I know : Today , at this day , the risk is too high to open everything. If we have the situation above , its a totally different discussion. We accept traffic deaths , cigarette deaths , bad food deaths and so on. Maybe if everyone had the possibility to be vaccined ? Then its a personal thing , maybe.

I think what many are failing to grasp with the Mexico situation is that many of those people that work in tourism live week-to-week. The government will not pay them to simply "wait it out", or work from zoom and order take-out. They would literally starve. The same goes for the small Caribbean islands and central America. Just about all have been open since summer 2020.

In the USA, while we may have the wealth (debt capacity) to pay people for a while, there is (1) a huge cultural resistance to being paid to stay at home and (2) less regards to risk overall.

Its not easy or always nice, but yes, the additional potential for violence comes with freedom. Most Americans will freely admit that and accept the trade. Same argument can be made for private vehicle ownership.

So while UK is thinking about threatening status certificates at the football to encourage increased vaccine uptake by younger people, all Israel had to do was lay on free pizza and beer ? 🤷‍♂️ 🤣 This is actually a pretty good summary of why we are where we are as far as reopening risks are concerned >>

Meanwhile Brazil healthcare system in meltdown.

Actually saw a "Brazil is reopening" artwork yesterday. Guess the profession of the person who posted it 🤐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back