☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean he says the variant isnt that bad or the situations in hospitals?

*I really shouldn't be looking at this page on my break
Why engage? He's either too stupid to understand (despite having had it pointed out numerous times) that lockdowns and masks are there to try to prevent the overwhelming of a country's health service by holding back the tide or he's just trolling, presumably the latter and no-one's that thick surely?

Do you mean he says the variant isnt that bad or the situations in hospitals?

*I really shouldn't be looking at this page on my break
He basically says both in Dutch Media.
He's not 'one medic' btw. He is the head responsible for multiple London hospitals.
He basically said the following things:
- it's not that more contagious
- triage rumours about having to decide who gets a bed in the UK were untrue
- critcon level four was never in place

There's is another professor virologist Fouchier from the Rotterdam Erasmus University hospital saying there is no evidence at all that the British variant is more contagious, however Dutch politicians and dutch media continue to say so...(even though they have weakened the argument by saying it is not 70% more contagious like they thought initially, but now it is supposed to be 30% more contagious).

Both Levi and Fouchier, well educated and extremely well informed people are saying the same. It's more likely the peak in the UK was caused by Xmas. They add that variants of a virus are generally good news, they get more contagious but less severe so if the British variant takes over the regular variant...less people would end up in the hospital instead of more people.

That's why I despise the 'variant scare tactics' as a way of enforcing and extending lockdowns, curfews, etc.
It's based on thin ice...calculations that assume the worst and turned out to be totally wrong earlier, for The Netherlands at least. Not one predictions from out government turned out to be realistic.

However...do I doubt you and your co-workers are having a hard time Hally? Not at all.

Dude...your last question I remember was where exactly in Amsterdam I live since I stated it's already dead quiet the street without a curfew? I indeed did not even bother with answering that question.

It sounds like you feel I’m asking a silly question? How come? I was wondering what your observations are based on.

Before we misunderstand each other: What do you consider to be a good indicator of “people abiding the rules”?

Where in Amsterdam are you living?

So let’s try this again because it seems like we both appreciate a critical conversation:

What do you consider to be a good indicator of “people abiding the rules”?

It sounds like you feel I’m asking a silly question? How come? I was wondering what your observations are based on.

So let’s try this again because it seems like we both appreciate a critical conversation:

What do you consider to be a good indicator of “people abiding the rules”?
Good, because I actually do appreciate a critical conversation indeed. But to be fair, most criticism or other views then "follow the rules and all will be good" gets thrown aside and framed as 'stupid and covid denier, just wait until it's your grandma on the IC unit etc" That gets boring easily and doesn't create a healthy space to seriously and critically look at all sides of this story.

Anyway...my view on people abiding the rules is based the general population.
Like I said, there will always be excesses, people breaking the rules, even with new measures such as a curfew...
But with the current set of rules in The Netherlands I see the general population is abiding the rules. I see facemasks in supermarkets and public transport. All shops, bars, restaurant stay closed (unlike the disobedience in Italy by example) and my workplace is totally empty. I do an evening walk pretty much every night and I don't see big groups coming together. Most people I know and speak to are following the rules, they don't visit the vulnerable etc.

So my indicators are personal experience, comparing that to the people I speak too and what I see in public....that creates my view that MOST people are abiding the rules. However our government seems to use this strange narrative that they will have to enforce new rules and stricter rules because we are not doing enough.

Good, because I actually do appreciate a critical conversation indeed. But to be fair, most criticism or other views then "follow the rules and all will be good" gets thrown aside and framed as 'stupid and covid denier, just wait until it's your grandma on the IC unit etc" That gets boring easily and doesn't create a healthy space to seriously and critically look at all sides of this story.

Anyway...my view on people abiding the rules is based the general population.
Like I said, there will always be excesses, people breaking the rules, even with new measures such as a curfew...
But with the current set of rules in The Netherlands I see the general population is abiding the rules. I see facemasks in supermarkets and public transport. All shops, bars, restaurant stay closed (unlike the disobedience in Italy by example) and my workplace is totally empty. I do an evening walk pretty much every night and I don't see big groups coming together. Most people I know and speak to are following the rules, they don't visit the vulnerable etc.

So my indicators are personal experience, comparing that to the people I speak too and what I see in public....that creates my view that MOST people are abiding the rules. However our government seems to use this strange narrative that they will have to enforce new rules and stricter rules because we are not doing enough.

One thing I can say is that you definitely have not run away... especially given the regular beatings you get on this forum! Cheers to you sir! :lol:

He basically says both in Dutch Media.
He's not 'one medic' btw. He is the head responsible for multiple London hospitals.
He basically said the following things:
- it's not that more contagious
- triage rumours about having to decide who gets a bed in the UK were untrue
- critcon level four was never in place

There's is another professor virologist Fouchier from the Rotterdam Erasmus University hospital saying there is no evidence at all that the British variant is more contagious, however Dutch politicians and dutch media continue to say so...(even though they have weakened the argument by saying it is not 70% more contagious like they thought initially, but now it is supposed to be 30% more contagious).

Both Levi and Fouchier, well educated and extremely well informed people are saying the same. It's more likely the peak in the UK was caused by Xmas. They add that variants of a virus are generally good news, they get more contagious but less severe so if the British variant takes over the regular variant...less people would end up in the hospital instead of more people.

That's why I despise the 'variant scare tactics' as a way of enforcing and extending lockdowns, curfews, etc.
It's based on thin ice...calculations that assume the worst and turned out to be totally wrong earlier, for The Netherlands at least. Not one predictions from out government turned out to be realistic.

However...do I doubt you and your co-workers are having a hard time Hally? Not at all.
He is one medic, albeit a senior one

Hospitals definitely are very bad, not a discussion point. The fact that people still get a bed means it hasnt failed. Although stopping a huge amount of cancer and other treatment could be considered a failure

The vast majority of virologists and medics disagree. The problems in London and the South East were before Christmas

Not one prediction? Sounds unlikely

Like I said , easily lured. Time to come out the toilet and get back to work!

Last edited:

Perhaps that is the source of our disagreement. One of my indicators is “work from home when possible”.

Data shows that during the 1st wave people worked from home when possible resulting in 42,86% - 48,57% less movements to the workplace compared to a baseline in February. When strong restrictions were introduced in October (including closing bars/restaurants) the advice was again to restrict movement and to work from home. This time the advice was followed a lot less often according to the same data. From October 12 onwards the biggest drops in less movement to work correspond to the holidays (autumn break/Christmas). The lowest reduction in that period is -17,71%. That is a lot less then the 48,57 in the previous wave.
If you look into more local reporting the numbers are even less.
Certainly there are factors to consider like seasonality which may skew this data a little. But that shouldn’t result in double digit differences.

How do these numbers make you feel? What do they signal to you?

Source of data: Google Mobility Reports.
Accessed through this website: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-mobility-trends

Check hashtags #IoAopro #IOpen #TheGreatReopen #OtwieraMy on twitter, instagram...
On January 17th 70.000 restaurants in Italy opened their doors against the policy.
Never trolling, never lying....but sometimes giving sources is pointless if the majority here wants to frame it as conspiracy or denial.

You are turning an opening protest for few minutes with No food served, to a mass protest.
The purpose was to get some needed help from government.
The swiss gastro distanced itself.

GastroSuisse

@GastroSuisseCH

Nous nous distançons de l’initiative #WirMachenAuf (#RestonsOuverts) et soulignons ne rien à voir avec celle-ci. Pour nous il est clair que l’on doit se tenir aux #mesures ordonnées par la Confédération et les cantons. #CoronaInfoCH https://gastrosuisse.ch/fr/federation/medias/communiques-de-presse/communiques-de-presse-2021/#c11681

You are turning an opening protest for few minutes with No food served, to a mass protest.
The purpose was to get some needed help from government.
The swiss gastro distanced itself.

GastroSuisse
@GastroSuisseCH

Nous nous distançons de l’initiative #WirMachenAuf (#RestonsOuverts) et soulignons ne rien à voir avec celle-ci. Pour nous il est clair que l’on doit se tenir aux #mesures ordonnées par la Confédération et les cantons. #CoronaInfoCH https://gastrosuisse.ch/fr/federation/medias/communiques-de-presse/communiques-de-presse-2021/#c11681
You're using one example from Switzerland.

In Italy it was and still is a mass protest. Restaurants opened and people went out to eat. It was unstoppable. You can find the videos of people dining and singing. Police showed up and they got yelled away by the crowd.
I called it mass disobedience....and that's what it is.

Perhaps that is the source of our disagreement. One of my indicators is “work from home when possible”.

Data shows that during the 1st wave people worked from home when possible resulting in 42,86% - 48,57% less movements to the workplace compared to a baseline in February. When strong restrictions were introduced in October (including closing bars/restaurants) the advice was again to restrict movement and to work from home. This time the advice was followed a lot less often according to the same data. From October 12 onwards the biggest drops in less movement to work correspond to the holidays (autumn break/Christmas). The lowest reduction in that period is -17,71%. That is a lot less then the 48,57 in the previous wave.
If you look into more local reporting the numbers are even less.
Certainly there are factors to consider like seasonality which may skew this data a little. But that shouldn’t result in double digit differences.

How do these numbers make you feel? What do they signal to you?

Source of data: Google Mobility Reports.
Accessed through this website: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-mobility-trends
I must agree with you that the work from home "advise" is a really troublesome measure and I see the numbers.

Perhaps if everyone had really worked from home and the government truly enforced that measure.....restaurants would not have to close now or the youth was not be blamed and punished even more with a curfew.

I think this Dutch medical guy referenced seems to be being falsely represented in the Dutch media or at least changed his view on how bad things are

Posting these interviews of his personnel on his socials says nothing about his quotes in Dutch media imho. He's their boss, so off course he will praise them for the hard work they deliver. That was never in question.

You're using one example from Switzerland.

In Italy it was and still is a mass protest. Restaurants opened and people went out to eat. It was unstoppable. You can find the videos of people dining and singing. Police showed up and they got yelled away by the crowd.
I called it mass disobedience....and that's what it is.

No source still!
It is NOT a mass protest. SOME restaurants don't mean mass protest.

Some restaurant owners in Rome have defied coronavirus restrictions, keeping their doors open for customers at dinnertime.

Not bothering anymore. IGNORE it is.

No source still!
It is NOT a mass protest. SOME restaurants don't mean mass protest.

Some restaurant owners in Rome have defied coronavirus restrictions, keeping their doors open for customers at dinnertime.

Not bothering anymore. IGNORE it is.
You asked for sources on mass civil disobedience, I never said the word protest. I pointed you in the right direction with hashtags.
Italian news sources spoke about 70K restaurants. Besides the restaurants, gyms also reopened. To me, that's mass civil disobedience.
Not just some restaurants in Rome.

And it didn’t take long to prove the point. @Moha , @Hally and @Sassette immediately discrediting evidence provided to prove a preconceived view that lockdowns and interventions should not happen. The evidence provided is not baseless, but is simply a small minority of contrary examples or views that have been taken out of context.

It’s just blatantly unhelpful to post this content and leads to readers having to undertake their own checks and balances to identify what is and isn’t accurate. It leads to a fundamental credibility issue.

it's incredible that people go around looking for articles or people that agree with them. It's just confirmation bias ? . Of course they don't have an example of a country that hasn't locked down and has handled it well. Every country that has handled well has used similar tactics and certainly hasn't allowed it to rise exponentially.
The kicking the can down the road argument is hilarious, if cases rise after a lockdown do they somehow think that if we weren't locked down they wouldn't have risen? Do they not understand that if cases rose exponentially then many more people that didn't have covid would die due to the fact that the healthcare system would not be able to cope and other treatments would be sacrificed too. When hospital beds are full the rate of death suddenly jumps higher than whatever figure they say isn't substantial, as everyone needing a ventilator dies, anyone needing oxygen doesn't get it and therefore deteriorates and is then much more likely to die too.
When they say vulnerable people should shield do they not understand that vulnerable people don't all live by themselves with no contact from anyone that isn't vulnerable?

'HEY, I KNOW 99.9% OF EXPERTS DON'T AGREE WITH ME BUT I'VE FOUND SOMEONE WHO IS AN EXPERT THAT DOES'. Usually an expert in a completely different area. Take this as an example of the idiots that people were quoting and pushing.
All I know is that if 99 experts agree and 1 doesn't, you can bet your life which side is correct. I can only imagine how I'd laugh if someone had read a couple of articles on the internet and was trying to tell me that I was getting everything about my profession wrong ?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back