☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Research by South African government scientists reveals that mutations of the new variant, known as 501Y.v2 or B1351, make the variant substantially resistant to antibodies in blood plasma donated by Covid patients.
The findings suggest it may be more likely to reinfect people who have already had Covid, and that vaccines being rolled out across the globe may be less effective. Since the variant emerged late last year, it has prompted travel bans around the world

The researchers found that the ability of antibodies to neutralise the virus typically fell eight-fold with the new variant, meaning that in lab tests eight times as much antibody was needed to disable the B1351 variant than older ones.
In work that has yet to be peer-reviewed, the team at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in Johannesburg found that the potency of antibody-rich plasma varied widely.
The neutralising ability of plasma from some patients fell a staggering 64-fold when tested against the new variant, while for others the ability to wipe out the new variant was unaffected. Nearly half, or 21 of 44 patients, “had no detectable neutralisation activity”, the scientists write.

from The Guardian.

Every time I say this I get ridiculed and people are shouting: lockdowns work! masks work!
They just don't. All measures are a temporary halt to something we can't control. If vaccines weren't created relatively quickly governments would probably decide to let it all go or mass public disobedience (something we're already seeing in Italy, Poland and Switzerland) would have been the only way out.

Any source or just trolling/lying?

I do agree that everywhere will eventually get the virus, and everywhere will be eventually effected. But there is no doubt that having lockdown's are a necessary tool to stop the health service to be overrun. I think that is the bottom line that cannot be argued with. Gradually more and more people will have the antibodies, the vaccine will start having an effect, and the pendulum will swing back in our favour.

I do agree that everywhere will eventually get the virus, and everywhere will be eventually effected. But there is no doubt that having lockdown's are a necessary tool to stop the health service to be overrun. I think that is the bottom line that cannot be argued with. Gradually more and more people will have the antibodies, the vaccine will start having an effect, and the pendulum will swing back in our favour.
I think this is sadly, going to be the best outcome we can hope for! I say sadly because ultimately this means more people will get ill or worse!

I think this is sadly, going to be the best outcome we can hope for! I say sadly because ultimately this means more people will get ill or worse!
Yeah if you think that, say 1 in 8 have the antibodies already, the older generations are going to be safer with the vaccine, it may be the case that everyone else will just have to suck it up and hope they don't get it too badly

I’m hoping we won’t get there. Cases look to have peaked on December 29th and we’re now 3 weeks and a day post that, so this week I expect and hope to see peak deaths (by date of death, not reporting date). Fingers crossed from next week we start to see the numbers come down, but we know it’s not going to drop off a cliff, it’ll be a slowe decline with many tens of thousands still going to die.

The latest deaths by date graph indicates they peaked 12th JanuaryEsMGTicW4AE7e8i.png

260 new cases on ibiza and formentera in last 24hrs. I think / hope we are at the peak of this wave now.

the hospital situation is expected to get worse still and this is why they are searching nurses over in mallorca now to come ablnd work here until things get better

Any source or just trolling/lying?
Check hashtags #IoAopro #IOpen #TheGreatReopen #OtwieraMy on twitter, instagram...
On January 17th 70.000 restaurants in Italy opened their doors against the policy.
Never trolling, never lying....but sometimes giving sources is pointless if the majority here wants to frame it as conspiracy or denial.

I think the last person that has tried to understand your point of view was me.
I am still waiting for answer to my questions.
Dude...your last question I remember was where exactly in Amsterdam I live since I stated it's already dead quiet the street without a curfew? I indeed did not even bother with answering that question.

Check hashtags #IoAopro #IOpen #TheGreatReopen #OtwieraMy on twitter, instagram...
On January 17th 70.000 restaurants in Italy opened their doors against the policy.
Never trolling, never lying....but sometimes giving sources is pointless if the majority here wants to frame it as conspiracy or denial.
I think most people are intelligent and mature enough to want to see all the factual data and, the context to it before forming a view.

Where you don’t help yourself is that when your views are discredited, you don’t accept it, you just run away and days later introduce more data and opinion that doesnt stack up to scrutiny.

Yesterday I showed you irrefutable evidence of the benefit of lockdowns and the way out of them through the vaccination process, you ran away. A few days later you then present the same opinion.

The evidence comes secondary, you just want to find anything that will justify your preconceived opinion that you don’t want lockdowns or restrictions. That is the problem with your posts. You have a preconceived view because you don’t like something and then look for the evidence to back it up, regardless of how discredited or out of context that evidence is.

Last edited:
I think many people are open minded and went to see all the factual data and, the context to it.

Where you don’t help yourself is that when your views are discredited, you don’t accept it, you just run away and introduce more data and opinion that doesnt stack up to scrutiny. I showed you irrefutable evidence of the benefit of lockdowns yesterday, you ran away. A few days later you then present the same opinion.

The evidence comes secondary, you just want to find anything that will justify your preconceived view that you don’t want lockdowns or restrictions. That is the problem with your posts. You have a preconceived view because you don’t like something and then look for the evidence to back it up, regardless of how discredited or out of context that evidence is.
I have never run away from anything.
I can find so much contra-evidence about lockdowns....I'm just tired to post it here, simple as that.

Don't claim that people here are open minded. If it's about this topic they are clearly not.
We've had multiple discussions here about the validity of PCR tests...everyone had tons of "evidence" that I was wrong. But now that the WHO has published that they decided to adjust the PCR tests for the same validity...no one here mentions it.
Same goes for the "British variant". We are being scared here with images of the UK hospitals while the director of 11 London hospitals even claims it's not that bad as it is projected by the media. That kind of stuff never gets posted here. It's pretty one sided, while I would expect very differently from a forum with open minded people.

I can find so much contra-evidence about lockdowns....I'm just tired to post it here, simple as that.

Don't claim that people here are open minded. If it's about this topic they are clearly not.
We've had multiple discussions here about the validity of PCR tests...everyone had tons of "evidence" that I was wrong. But now that the WHO has published that they decided to adjust the PCR tests for the same validity...no one here mentions it.
Same goes for the "British variant". We are being scared here with images of the UK hospitals while the director of 11 London hospitals even claims it's not that bad as it is projected by the media. That kind of stuff never gets posted here. It's pretty one sided, while I would expect very differently from a forum with open minded people.
You do run away all the time!

You are very adept at finding alternative evidence but it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny and gets discredited here, so off the run again. That’s the first problem. The other is that your search for evidence is to justify your preconceived opinion.Most reasonable people do form a view after considering the evidence and the context of that evidence. They are doing that before they come on this forum and for some, this forum helps them form a view. None of us are scientists. We have to do the best with what we hear and read.

We are scared of the London variant too. That director may be right, it may not be as bad there. But that is one hospital.The good news is that infection rates and new hospitalisations are declining in London, but have you seen the numbers they are declining from? Have you seen the mortality rate? They are declining because of lockdown and vaccinations, no other reason. If you are scared by what you see in London now you would be very scared indeed if those two things were not happening here considering the rapidity of the rate of infection in London pre and during the Christmas period, it was horrific.

Last edited:

You suggested that rises in autumn were due to false positives. They weren't

You have one quote from one medic about the UK variant not being more virilant. There are about a thousand saying the opposite

You do seem to just look for anything that fits your arguement that lockdowns are bad or unnecessary. I think everyone else believes they are bad and necessary

Do you mean he says the variant isnt that bad or the situations in hospitals?

*I really shouldn't be looking at this page on my break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back