☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be interested what comes out in the press

My family members in Alum Rock are Pakistani and the belief in Covid being a hoax, 5g, chips in the vaccine etc is stunning. I wonder if they are just trying to get it in arms and build trust. The worst hit areas in Brum are mainly Pakistani and I'm guessing the uptake is really low

Build trust by totally going against everything they have put out in the media! Surly they know if this comes out it will have the total opposite effect of that is their reasoning!
My best guess is it won’t come out in the press!
This whole thing is f***ed up and our government are massively responsible because many don’t trust them and why would you?

Build trust by totally going against everything they have put out in the media! Surly they know if this comes out it will have the total opposite effect of that is their reasoning!
My best guess is it won’t come out in the press!
This whole thing is f***ed up and our government are massively responsible because many don’t trust them and why would you?
Trust is that bad in some communities they need people to have it, not drop dead then tell other people. I work in it and family members dont believe me. Very strange

Not sure at what level these decisions were made, I think GP practices have quite a bit of autonomy and it's more guidance from government

Trust is that bad in some communities they need people to have it, not drop dead then tell other people. I work in it and family members dont believe me. Very strange

i can see both sides mate but it’s a funny way to go about earning trust if what you have said is correct and I have no reason to doubt you.
Offering a vax to 13 year olds that’s untested on that age group when it’s the elderly that are meant to be getting it first doesn’t scream trust to me!
Believe me it’s not just the Asian community that has lost trust, it’s people from all walks of life and I can’t blame them! There has been that many mixed messages, u turns, wasting of public money and obvious corruption all over the place!

Do you trust them? I don’t mean do you think this is all a conspiracy because obviously you don’t and we all know better than that, nobody more than yourself but do you trust our government? Trust them to be honest and work for the people they serve? Have people’s best interests at heart rather than their friends and their own?

An additional 278,000 1st dose jabs in the past 24 hours in the UK. Leaked document by the Scottish Government today mentioning a new target of 3.8m doses per week for the UK by the end of next week.

The problem with banning flights is that it is both politically incorrect, it can be interpreted as racist or xenophobic, and it goes against the Neo-Liberal/Globalist trends that now dominate Western European countries. Freedom of movement is one of the pillars of our current societies. Go against that and all sorts of problems and delays seem to crop up. The system will work against it.

The Conservative Party in the UK doesn't dare to ban flights from one or more countries until the commentariat are almost screaming at them to do so. If they ban flights too early then they will be accused of racism and/or xenophobia. Also, most of the people in charge in government in the UK aren't exactly hardcore Brexiteers and/or against freedom of movement. They are in fact rather soft and wet. They don't have the confidence to do the right thing, simply because they are afraid of being called racists and "far right" by the people who get airtime on the BBC. Both Boris, Gove and Raab come to mind.

Patel might be a different case. She would probably be quicker at banning flights and not be too bothered about the left wing onslaught. The Home office really thickens one skin.

I suspect there will be a leadership challenge in a few months time. That'll be a bit of political drama to look forward to. I hope Patel wins.
How very muddled. Your hope for a Patel victory tells me everything, are you sure you're from Norway?

How very muddled. Your hope for a Patel victory tells me everything, are you sure you're from Norway?
Not originally from Norway.

Sometimes politicians need to take a decision, however unpopular, and not be too worried about being liked by absolutely everyone. Compromises, in particular with Covid-19, can often lead to a no result at all. One has to pick a side and stick to it. If you are going to ban flights from a country then do so straight away. There's no point in dittering about it for several days because you're afraid of being called xenophobic by people who will hate you anyway. Just do it.

Patel is one of the few leading Tory politicians that I can think of with this ... ability. But on second thoughts, Esther McVey is probably more ruthless.

I have no idea which politicians on the Labour side have this ability. Starmer comes across as a fence sitter. But Corbyn and his mate McDonnell probably had it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not entirely - 17% of serious infections despite having the 1st shot is quite high. Overall though, it should still have a massive impact in the number of fatalities, but it will be interesting to see how governments handle handing out second doses for some alongside first doses for others.

Are the younger generation going to be content to be locked up for longer, and unable to travel, if it means their elders can get their second jab? Imagine we'll hear a lot more about this in the next few months.

well, just shows how important it is to stay very careful until after your second shot! and that it's still not a 100% guaranteed protection.

Interesting part at the end about proof of vaccines for concerts and large events.

Think that will be a thing this summer.

either that or tests or a mix of both. we need culture to be able to reopen this year somehow, but IMO it's clear it won't be without restrictions until next year

well, just shows how important it is to stay very careful until after your second shot! and that it's still not a 100% guaranteed protection.

either that or tests or a mix of both. we need culture to be able to reopen this year somehow, but IMO it's clear it won't be without restrictions until next year
Would be interesting to know how long after 1st dose those serious cases got infected. Anything withings first 3 weeks is going to be dodgy protection wise. Or how long after 2nd dose etc.

It kind of fits with the 80 odd percent protection a single dose is supposed to give you, but afaik its supposed to protect almost completely against serious disease.?

I didn't see if it was the mRNA type vaccine (Pfizer biontech/moderna, cold temps) or virus vector (oxford) they are using. What I have read is for oxford types the 1st dose does most the heavy lifting, 2nd more a top up. Where as for mRNA ones it's more evenly split & 2nd dose more important.

Hopefully with time more data will tell us more. So long as it gives society the same or better coverage as the flu jab, I think we will be ok.

As for the dodgy GP in brum, that really is going to trigger conspiracy theories, even if its something as "innocent" as, we've got lots of doses sat in the fridge/freezer about to go out of date due to low uptake. Who can we get it into.

I did read some Muslims are refusing the vaccine cause think it's not halal or contains alcohol. ?. It actually does meet both their criteria (oxford contains tiny amount of ethanol, not alcohol), but you can see how poor communication and social media can turn groups easily against something that is in their interest. - would be good if some religious leaders publicly got the jab while informing them it's safe and ok to have it. Esp with BAME at higher risk of serious disease.

Anyhow fingers crossed uk keeps up this vaccination rate, they are at almost 2m a week, but will need just over that to meet 15th feb deadline. If do get near 5m a week end feb, then I might get mine before end of summer! ??. I also hope they reduce transmission too, but will have to see!

Last edited:
The problem with banning flights is that it is both politically incorrect, it can be interpreted as racist or xenophobic, and it goes against the Neo-Liberal/Globalist trends that now dominate Western European countries. Freedom of movement is one of the pillars of our current societies. Go against that and all sorts of problems and delays seem to crop up. The system will work against it.

The Conservative Party in the UK doesn't dare to ban flights from one or more countries until the commentariat are almost screaming at them to do so. If they ban flights too early then they will be accused of racism and/or xenophobia. Also, most of the people in charge in government in the UK aren't exactly hardcore Brexiteers and/or against freedom of movement. They are in fact rather soft and wet. They don't have the confidence to do the right thing, simply because they are afraid of being called racists and "far right" by the people who get airtime on the BBC. Both Boris, Gove and Raab come to mind.

Patel might be a different case. She would probably be quicker at banning flights and not be too bothered about the left wing onslaught. The Home office really thickens one skin.

I suspect there will be a leadership challenge in a few months time. That'll be a bit of political drama to look forward to. I hope Patel wins.

I don't understand your point at all. I'm anti-Brexit (and am quite happy to throw accusations of xenophobia at the Tories) but also see the value of short-term banning of flights if it helps control the pandemic. It's all about the 'why'.

I don't understand your point at all. I'm anti-Brexit (and am quite happy to throw accusations of xenophobia at the Tories) but also see the value of short-term banning of flights if it helps control the pandemic. It's all about the 'why'.

They have clamped down very quickly on flights from South America and Portugal and Cape Verde (due to the strong historic ties) which makes me suspect they are concerned about this Brazil variant, or could just be finally acting more quickly on decisions. Its hard to tell.

As for the dodgy GP in brum, that really is going to trigger conspiracy theories, even if its something as "innocent" as, we've got lots of doses sat in the fridge/freezer about to go out of date due to low uptake. Who can we get it into.

I did read some Muslims are refusing the vaccine cause think it's not halal or contains alcohol. ?. It actually does meet both their criteria (oxford contains tiny amount of ethanol, not alcohol), but you can see how poor communication and social media can turn groups easily against something that is in their interest. - would be good if some religious leaders publicly got the jab while informing them it's safe and ok to have it. Esp with BAME at higher risk of serious disease.

I'll update on Birmingham off piste vaccination when I know more.

The local Mosques are really trying to promote uptake of the vaccine

They have clamped down very quickly on flights from South America and Portugal and Cape Verde (due to the strong historic ties) which makes me suspect they are concerned about this Brazil variant, or could just be finally acting more quickly on decisions. Its hard to tell.
Indeed, they acted quick in this case.

I was trying to explain why the Tories take so long time to make a decision, and when a decision is made it's often half-hearted and doesn't solve the problem either way. They are afraid of people calling them xenophobes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back