☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 2 links I posted were referencing quotes from people who will have seen the data from initial vaccine trials indicating the vaccines will most likely reduce the severity of illness but not prevent transmission.

The 30-50% was just something I knew I had read before so I googled it an came up with the lancet article.

Now I have looked back it was this news piece I came across 30-50% being discussed

Covid vaccine rush could make pandemic worse, say scientists

Fair enough we don't know the exact figure yet, we could even be lucky to get 30%, or it might be 0% or 100%

Can you provide a quote from the lancet article that says this? What I'm reading is

" the impact of these COVID-19 vaccines on infection and thus transmission is not being assessed. Even if vaccines were able to confer protection from disease, they might not reduce transmission similarly. "

and

"Challenge studies in vaccinated primates showed reductions in pathology, symptoms, and viral load in the lower respiratory tract, but failed to elicit sterilising immunity in the upper airways. Sterilising immunity in the upper airways has been claimed for one vaccine, but peer-reviewed publication of these data are awaited."

and

"These observations suggest that we cannot assume COVID-19 vaccines, even if shown to be effective in reducing severity of disease, will reduce virus transmission to a comparable degree. The notion that COVID-19-vaccine-induced population immunity will allow a return to pre-COVID-19 “normalcy” might be based on illusory assumptions. "

You also asked how this can be negative. Here is an example

I get vaccinated and I'm protected from Covid19 but can still transmit it
My dad gets vaccinated but is one of the 50% who is not protected
I catch and transmit the coronavirus to my dad
I will need to look for that later. It was the lancet some time ago if memory serves me. I think reality is we don’t know if those vaccinated will or won’t be able to transmit the virus.

This is positive. Wouldn’t fancy being a trialist!

after 6 weeks off in the sunshine back to the grind today in the dreary Northeast ? the Covid Convo has not been missed! everyone seems more beside them selves now more than ever.. had a feeling the 10pm curfew on boozers might of been a bleak week to come back? was never going to go down well up here amongst the fish

There will be multiple vaccines available Q1 2021 as well as good treatments.

It would be ridiculous if Ibiza isn’t 100% open next year.

There will be multiple vaccines available Q1 2021 as well as good treatments.It would be ridiculous if Ibiza isn’t 100% open next year.

...it is always only talked about when a vaccination could be available, so you will be vaccinated as soon as available ?

Source? Are the pharma companies already mass producing based off early trials?

Yes. Most governments already have contracts with pharma in place. Many are structured to have an initial purchase, with an option to secure additional at a set price. These initial orders are already starting or expected to start shortly -- before the phase 3 results and approval process is complete.

Since they don't know which vaccine candidates will be effective yet, and we need more than one company could possibly produce most governments have contracts with multiple pharma companies.

Yes. Most governments already have contracts with pharma in place. Many are structured to have an initial purchase, with an option to secure additional at a set price. These initial orders are already starting or expected to start shortly -- before the phase 3 results and approval process is complete.

Since they don't know which vaccine candidates will be effective yet, and we need more than one company could possibly produce most governments have contracts with multiple pharma companies.

Yep. Fingers crossed the Phase 3’s all go well. So far so good, except for the Oxford vaccine that had neurological issues with two people....they are in a bit of trouble.

Shouldn’t the fatality rate + survival rate = 100%? Looks a bit dodgy that it doesn’t. Some decimal place iffyness going on
There should be no percentage signs in the "fatality rate" column - it contains decimal numbers. The data apparently comes from this CDC page. It's not really newsworthy - reported fatality rates by age back in April weren't that much different.

The main reason why the virus spread needs to be controlled is not the current fatality rate, but the need to have enough hospital capacity to treat serious but non-fatal cases.

There should be no percentage signs in the "fatality rate" column - it contains decimal numbers. The data apparently comes from this CDC page. It's not really newsworthy - reported fatality rates by age back in April weren't that much different.

The main reason why the virus spread needs to be controlled is not the current fatality rate, but the need to have enough hospital capacity to treat serious but non-fatal cases.
Forgive my stupidly, but why should a % not contain decibel numbers?

If these stats are accurate then surely its newsworthy.

Forgive my stupidly, but why should a % not contain decibel numbers?
It can. But the fatality rates shown are not percentages (measured in 1 out of 100), but absolute numbers (measured in 1 out of 1). So if they want to show percentages, they need to multiply these numbers by 100.

If these stats are accurate then surely its newsworthy.
I believe they are accurate (except for the mistake with percentages shown above), but there is practically no difference to earlier stats. Here are the numbers from South Korea from back in March - they are very similar.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mail suggests that having decent amounts of vitamin D can prevent death by covid. Vitamin D - obtained by sunlight which we are all-but-banned from seeking.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mail suggests that having decent amounts of vitamin D can prevent death by covid. Vitamin D - obtained by sunlight which we are all-but-banned from seeking.
One of my Mrs many arguments since day one...

Asda have lots of chewable one a day vitamin D3 in. In autumn/winter the uv levels are pretty low in northern latitudes, so would need a lot of sun exposure.

Vitamin D acts in part of the immune RAS system which apparently goes a bit haywire in covid with some peeps.

(Also why none white people may be suffering more, white skin better at making vitamin D in northern latitudes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back