☣ Coronavirus ☣

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read of a good quote from one of the guys working on the Oxford vaccine:

"Fortunately we only need a 70+% uptake in the vaccine for it to be successful (herd immunity), and the percentage of idiots is far lower than that" ?

He was half joking, of course

When you stick a committed anti-vaxxer and a bioinformatics scientist side by side and read their exchange, it should leave little doubt to anybody sitting on the fence as to who knows what they're talking about and who is the fool

I do find it curious that a lot of people who are sceptical about vaccines have no qualms sticking untested powder bought off a criminal and smuggled from the rainforests of South America up their hooter
Or even better, people buying "natural remedies" off the internet, which is fine cause "it's from nature man". And then end up with kidney or liver problems as such things have not gone through medical approval processes.

And yeah nothing is 100% successful in vaccines or meds, that the nature of biology. But 90% is better than 0% homeopathy ?

I read of a good quote from one of the guys working on the Oxford vaccine:

"Fortunately we only need a 70+% uptake in the vaccine for it to be successful (herd immunity), and the percentage of idiots is far lower than that" ?

He was half joking, of course

When you stick a committed anti-vaxxer and a bioinformatics scientist side by side and read their exchange, it should leave little doubt to anybody sitting on the fence as to who knows what they're talking about and who is the fool
The irony is the anti vaxxer are usually saying it's a conspiracy to reduce population or something like that, but not getting medical assistance or intervention for such diseases is in itself a way to reduce the population.

Plot twist, anti vaxxers are funded by "them" who want the world population to reduce and thus want more to catch it and die ?

To be diplomatic on the whole debate, we all share our opinions on here about stuff that is pretty frivolous most of the time. Sometimes it gets heated. When it's things about music taste and our stance on brexit, that stuff is subjective.

But science is different. It's irrefutable truth. It is merely a method of proving whether something is or isn't true. Sometimes it might be inclusive, true. But when you weigh up the body of evidence, you get to a point when things are either true or false. Our opinion is f***ing irrelevant. Vaccines work. That happens to be "my opinion", but it's not my opinion that makes it fact. It just is.

Arguing with it, is like trying to argue you can breath without oxygen

One last quote, from the same guy. Talking about the (lack of) vaccine testing:

It's likely that we will not know the longterm effects of the vaccine when it goes into manufacture. Although that doesn't come without some risk, albeit a minute one, you have to ask yourself a question:
would you rather take a vaccine, rigorously tested on several hundred thousand people over 9-months and developed in collaboration with the best brains in humanity, or would you rather take a chance on a new, novel respiratory illness that has been festering in the caves of China for the last few decades?

It's likely that we will not know the longterm effects of the vaccine when it goes into manufacture. Although that doesn't come without some risk, albeit a minute one, you have to ask yourself a question:
would you rather take a vaccine, rigorously tested on several hundred thousand people over 9-months and developed in collaboration with the best brains in humanity, or would you rather take a chance on a new, novel respiratory illness that has been festering in the caves of China for the last few decades?
aha that's a great outlook tbh ..risk from neither would of been smashing though ? but suppose we are where we are, I just hope if it did infact stem from a wet market in China once the issue at hand is sorted everything that can be done to deal with and the hygiene practices there are sorted out

I’d take the vaccine ?

I took Nerve Agent tablets and an anthrax vaccine in 2003 and it had absolutely no negative effects on me whatsoever ?

Took Larium once, as an anti malarial. Fcuked me right up, quite badly.

Took Larium once, as an anti malarial. Fcuked me right up, quite badly.

Me too mate. Evil stuff. I've never dismissed depression, but after only 3 weeks on that stuff I can say that I now have a better understanding of it

What were your symptoms?

Mine were really vivid, hallucinogenic dreams and basically just being in absolute bits. Broke down in tears a couple of times for literally the slightest of reasons. Gave me a proper insight into my own mind

Me too mate. Evil stuff. I've never dismissed depression, but after only 3 weeks on that stuff I can say that I now have a better understanding of it

What were your symptoms?

Mine were really vivid, hallucinogenic dreams and basically just being in absolute bits. Broke down in tears a couple of times for literally the slightest of reasons. Gave me a proper insight into my own mind

Holy hell!

Yes mate very similar. Extremely vivid dreams, beyond anything I could imagine. Some absolutely terrifying and others that were strangely erotic ?‍♂️ (not ideal in the situation) Feeling of being really broken and beyond any motivation.

If that’s a fraction of what depression feels like then I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Only solace I had was being amongst others in the same state and we could all recognise what was going on.

100% would not want to be in a situation like this alone.

We do not need 100% compliance for a vaccine to be “effective.” Once you get to around 70% it slows the transmission.

I don’t expect mandatory vaccination in the USA but there are plenty of ways to push people to do it. No in-person school, no international travel, no visiting hospitals / nursing homes if not vaccinated etc.

If it makes you feel better you might not be high on the list for vaccination anyways. Medical workers, police, elderly, high risk, etc will be first up when supply is limited

Feeling of being really broken and beyond any motivation.

Yes, that's the crux of depression. Spent months on and off in my 20s feeling like that before eliminating drugs and alcohol from my life (except nicotine albeit in chewing gum form lol) and learning a vast array of coping strategies, all of which (20 years later) started to finally shift it from the majority of my life.

Most anti-malarials are pretty nasty (chloroquine included). 20 years in a malarial region and very soon stopped taking any prophylactics. The downsides pretty much wiped out the benefits from reduction in risk.

lockdown again for Aberdeen due to cluster of 54 so far

Some wee dafty who had symptoms done a bar crawl at the weekend visiting over 20 pubs so i’m getting told by some work colleagues and No SD by the young team’s ??

Has there been any kind of indication when the UK-Ibiza quarantine rules may be re-examined or is it indefinite now? Need to make a decision by end of the week about whether we cancel or not... booo.

Has there been any kind of indication when the UK-Ibiza quarantine rules may be re-examined or is it indefinite now? Need to make a decision by end of the week about whether we cancel or not... booo.
The 8th is the next review I believe, the last few haven't been anything to go by though but ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back