deaths: 224 (-)
recovered: 1682 (+15)
active: 170 (-7)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 173 (-)
deaths: 12 (-)
recovered: 142 (-)
active: 19 (-)

two very positive details in regards to ibiza and formentera numbers (apart from the fact it's been another three days without any newly detected cases): it's five weeks now since we've had the last casualty because of covid-19 and almost two months now since the last new admission to an ICU because of covid-19.

news:
  • tirapalla bar in ibiza town opens tonight
  • tropicana beach club in cala jondal opens 12th june
  • restaurante can domingo on the road to san josé opens 4th june
  • amante beach club in sol d'en serra opens 3rd july
  • restaurante la luna nell' orto in san miguel has been reopened
  • restaurante el bigotes in cala mastella has been reopened
  • from this monday 1st june, the ferry service between ibiza and formentera will be increased to 9 daily connections (up until now 3 daily connections only). but for now, travel between the two islands is still only allowed if you've got a valid reason (work, medical, taking care of someone) - this should change on 8th june when ibiza hopefully also moves to phase III.
  • first international tourists likely to arrive in the second half of june as part of a pilot project, before international tourism then properly opens up again from 1st july onwards. those tourists in the second half of june will be coming from germany and other northern european countries and will be pcr-tested on arrival and have to pass a mini-quarantine of 6 hours until test results are out https://www.diariodeibiza.es/nacion...seguros-recibir-turistas-segunda/1146112.html and https://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitius.../plan-piloto-traera-500-alemanes/1146055.html
  • some club news to follow next week I believe...

daily update 31st may

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2080 (+4)
deaths: 224 (-)
recovered: 1692 (+10)
active: 164 (-6)

ibiza & formentera:
recovered: 143 (+1)
active: 18 (-1)

news:
  • spain's government's plan is to extend the state of alarm one final time. right now it runs until the 7th june and there will be one last 15-day extension to 21st june. this still needs to pass congress next week, but it likely will. according to the government it's the only effective way of limiting traffic within spain and guaranteeing the orderly finish of the de-escalation programme.
  • yesterday as well as today the police has been intervening on some of ibiza's beaches because they got too busy considering the current safety distance rules because of the coronavirus situation. this shouldn't be taken as negative, the opposite actually. any holiday resort will have to implement measures this summer to make sure their beaches don't get too crowded. once the season starts it likely won't be the police, but other people monitoring the busiest of our beaches and making sure safe distance between groups is being kept
  • boutique hostal salinas in las salinas opens july 1st
  • sunset ashram in cala conta opens tomorrow june 1st

o beach ibiza also opens 1st july

***WE’RE OPENING JULY 1ST 2020***
Over the last few months we all did the responsible thing. We stayed safe, we rested, we brought music to you in new and exciting ways, and although very much apart we still found ways to unite.
We absolutely loved your O Beach at Home videos. Thanks so much for sharing them with us but now we’re excited to tell you that we can bring you the real thing!
Your favourite day club is reopening next month, including some changes to ensure the health and safety of both our guests and staff and in order to respect social distancing, but you’ll still be able to join us and relax poolside.
We’ve missed you all and while the pace of our day-to-day events will temporarily be at a slower tempo than what you’re used to, you can still expect the same luxury experience from us.

daily update 1st june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2081 (+1)
deaths: 226 (+2)
recovered: 1702 (+10)
active: 153 (-9)

ibiza & formentera:
recovered: 143 (-)
active: 18 (-)

news:
  • formentera is in phase III as of today! this means further easement of restricitions such as terraces of restaurants can be filled to 75% of their capacity (but still with 2m distance between each table of course), shops can open their entire shop surface now (simply make sure the shops don't get too busy at once), people can meet in groups of 20 indoors and 30 outdoors etc. all going well, ibiza and the rest of the balearics will join formentera in this phase next monday 8th june.
  • we had the first blip / small spike on the balearics - but over on mallorca, not here on ibiza. yesterday, a big family living together in palma got tested, at least 11 tested positive and of course they all got isolated immediately (not just the ones testing positive). this blip hasn't been reflected in the official numbers yet though as far as I can tell, probably to come with tomorrow's numbers
  • the inter-island traffic within balearics will be allowed once we enter phase III - as mentioned above, all going well this should be the case on 8th june. so from then on, we can travel over to formentera as well as fly over to mallorca & menorca.
  • generally, travel between autonomic regions in spain will be allowed again from 21st june onwards, IF the autonomías in question are all in phase III by then (madrid and barcelona might be exceptions to that as they are a bit behind). the spanish government is currently treating this 21st june date as the start of 'new normal'.
  • 21st june shall also be the new date as for when no quarantine is required anymore coming to the balearics from abroad (instead of 1st july) - this isn't all confirmed yet, but the government is working towards this (I need to point out that we're currently talking continental european countries here, not the UK for now I believe, but I might be wrong)
  • you guys surely all remember the 'eco-tax' you have been having to pay during the last years when visiting the balearics? well, it's the balearic government's intention to use that money towards the cost of the corona virus crisis https://www.periodicodeibiza.es/pit...sa-pagaran-gastos-crisis-del-coronavirus.html
  • as mentioned above, both o beach ibiza as well as ibiza rocks hotel open on 1st july.

daily update 3rd june

before we start with the numbers, they've changed the recount method yet again and are now including antibody tests in the figures (while during the last month or so they only worked with PCR test numbers). this is the reason the numbers are now quite a bit higher, but we didn't actually have a lot of new cases in the last two days, see below.

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2198 (2089 PCR + 109 antibody positives, so compared to two days ago we've gone up 8 positives in PCR)
deaths: 226 (-)
recovered: 1725 (+23 compared to two days ago)
active: 247 (this number is obviously also different now)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 175 (+2 in last 48hrs, one per day)
active: 20 (+2)

news:
  • today, the state of alarm gets extended one more time. it's just being debated and voted in congress now, but I believe it has the votes to pass. so the nationwide state of alarm will continue until 21st june. the government has been clear this will be the last extension. also, it's a less strict state of alarm where travel within spain will be allowed for all autonomías that reach phase III
  • all the autonomías that reach phase III (balearics should hopefully get green lights for that either tomorrow or friday and then start phase III on monday 8th june) will have autonomic power to decide regarding travel within its territory and also they could theoretically decide to shorten this third and last phase. this could mean that, in an ideal situation, the balearics might still reach 'new normal' as early as 15th june. if the epidemic situation keeps being as favourable and the two-week default is kept, it would be on the 21st june, but the balearic government might decide to shorten the third phase to just one week. all TBC...
  • to give you an idea of the current economic situation on ibiza: out of roughly 150k inhabitants (as a guess maybe half to two third of that number are in working age), almost 23k are currently furloughed and over 10k are on an unemployment scheme. https://www.noudiari.es/2020/06/mas-de-22-900-trabajadores-de-ibiza-estan-afectados-por-un-erte/ these are numbers per end of may and have never been seen before in a month where usually everyone has a job!
  • hard rock hotel ibiza has just launched some promo rates for this summer, details on their social media channels...
if you check the summer 2020 pictures thread, you'll see I've been out and about a bit in the last few days. I've truly never seen ibiza this beautiful. the sea is crystal clear, for once hardly any rubbish anywhere, lots of fish in the sea and no bay has too many boats in it. summer feeling has arrived now, more and more people around and here staying outdoors is easy. gonna be a very different, but gorgeous summer here, I'm sure of that.

two well-known places have announced their opening dates:
  • destino pacha resorts opens 16th july. to specify, it's the hotel that opens on that date, it isn't an event
  • lío restaurant opens 10th july. to specify, it's dinner show only for now, no clubbing afterwards

daily update 4th june

numbers:

haven't got balearic numbers yet, just ibiza/formentera

balearics:
total cases: 2198 (pending update)
deaths: 226 (pending update)
recovered: 1725 (pending update)
active: 247 (pending update)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 175 (-)
active: 20 (-)

• awaiting confirmation for ibiza to move to phase III, should come today or tomorrow...fingers crossed
  • the spanish government is working on a decree for the 'new normal' period we'll soon start. it will include measures and guidelines for businesses, public transport etc and will be presented soon and passed through congress tuesday next week. I have a feeling it also might include some pointers as to what can be done legally in terms of events
  • restaurante can balafia has been reopened
  • bam-bu-ku, the bew beach club next to and run by o beach ibiza opens 23rd june
  • casa maca rural hotel opens 1st july
  • coco beach on playa d'en bossa opens 1st july

daily update 5th june

numbers to follow later, but here are news:

more later!

and here's the second bit for today

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2215 (+17 compared to two days ago)
recovered: 1764 (+39 compared to two days ago)
active: 225 (-22 compared to two days ago)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 177 (+2)
active: 22 (+2)

I'm not sure yet as how long I'll keep continuing with the numbers - I guess at some point I'll stop putting up the daily recount and would then only mention it if we had blips or spikes etc. I'll keep on doing it for another few days for sure though.

more news:
  • pikes hotel opens july 1st
  • chiringuito blue in santa eulalia opens june 18th
in a few days (midweek next week) I shall put up an opinion piece regarding the ibiza summer season 2020 in which I'll explain what I believe the summer will look like. I'll put it up here of course.

daily update 6th june

numbers

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 177 (-)
recovered: 143 (+2)
active: 20 (-2)

• clubs may open in phase III, but only a third of its capacity and no dance floor & dancing in this period just yet. details for 'new normal' to follow soon

daily update 8th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2238 (+23 compared to two days ago)
recovered: 1785 (+21 compared to two days ago)
active: 227 (+2 compared to two days ago)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 181 (+4 compared to two days ago)
recovered: 145 (+2)
active: 24 (+2)

news:

a specification/correction first to my post from saturday

• clubs may open in phase III, but only a third of its capacity and no dance floor & dancing in this period just yet. details for 'new normal' to follow soon

this is the spanish government's rule for phase III, but, as previously announced already, the balearic local government vetoed this and has decided that here on our islands, the clubs must stay shut still in this phase. apologies for not pointing this out on saturday, I'd simply forgotten. everyone is now awaiting to see the decree that will specify the rules for the 'new normality', meaning the period after phase III and until a cure/vaccine against covid-19 is available.

more news:
  • as of today, the entire balearic archipelago is in phase III. this means we can travel between the islands again freely and more measures are being relaxed (inside bits of restaurants can be used to 75% of capacity for example)
  • the restaurant of rural hotel casa maca already opens this friday 12th june. the hotel as such opens on 1st july as announced last week
  • bar/restaurant can terra in ibiza town reopens today
  • beachouse in playa d'en bossa reopens either on 20th june or 1st july. their post on social media is inconclusive regarding the date.

I originally wanted to wait until the details are out regarding the 'new normal' rules (we'll know them tomorrow or wednesday I believe). but I won't be online so much this week and because of that I decided I'll post this post now already. once we do know the 'new normal' rules I shall update the thread again of course. also, please keep in mind this is an opinion piece of mine - it is genuinely how I personally think things will pan out.

Ibiza 2020 - what to expect?

Planning on visiting the island this summer? Here's what you need to know.

As Europe slowly but steadily leaves the coronavirus crisis behind (most countries have been opening up and so far no real spikes have been seen anywhere) and you read about Ibiza re-opening, you may find yourself in the situation of having flights to Ibiza booked or just have your finger on the button to book them, but you're unsure...should I or shouldn't I? This is where we jump in to help you take the decision.

The below is how I expect this summer could pan out here on Ibiza, with today's knowledge, pure and uncut. I believe it is a realistic approach on what Ibiza will look, feel and sound like in this very special summer 2020.

Travel

A lot of airlines are picking up flights to Ibiza from mid-June onwards, some hold off until the start of July (or later if from the UK). Generally, this year, July 1 is regarded as the start of the season while the second half of June is sort of the run-up to the start.Also, you might not find daily flights from your home airport this year and thus you may have to show a little flexibility when it comes to dates, but in a month's time from now, Ibiza's airport will certainly be busy.

Ferries from the spanish mainland are also picking up their services again. So if you're currently not feeling comfy to board a plane, make that long-awaited roadtrip to Ibiza reality. Pack your car with anything you want (one of the big advantages when travelling by car: there is no luggage limit!), hit the road, visit a few nice places along the way and get on the ferry in Valencia or Dénia, from where it's just three to five hours to Ibiza depending on the connection. Think about it, it genuinely might be the perfect summer to finally do it and it would also mean you don't need to rent a car once you're on the island!

You'll surely have read about the 14 day quarantine which Spain had imposed to people arriving in Spain. From June 21 onwards, this quarantine on arrival will be gone so for tourists coming from July onwards you won't have to quarantine.

Also, and this has literally just been confirmed, the Balearics will indeed lead a pilot project from 15th June onwards with German tourists arriving (those will be PCR-tested on arrival and will go through a mini-quarantine for a few hours until test results are out). The results of this pilot project might have consequences on how the actual procedure with tourists will work this summer. As usual, we shall update whenever we get news.

Accommodation

First things first. Yes, it's true your fave hotel might indeed not open this summer. Tourism experts expect 'half a season' this summer and thus by far not all properties will open. But most of those who will are offering good rates. Lots of well-known hotels on the island are currently offering attractive discounts and we believe it might be a great opportunity to try something new in case your usual haunt is shut. A lot of hotels are still deciding whether to open or not and we expect lots of movements to happen in the next few weeks.

Similarly, in the villa rental market, currently lots of properties are offered at remarkably low prices compared to their usual rates. Maybe it's the one time you finally rent that dream villa of yours together with your nearest and dearest?

The Beaches

They are open! Ibiza's beautiful beaches and the crystal clear sea is where most people spend their days when on holiday on our beloved island. Due to the coronavirus situation, not just on Ibiza, but pretty much in every holiday resort in the Mediterranean, the authorities will have to implement some measures to make sure beaches don't get too busy so the two meter safety distance between groups can be guaranteed. Now, we genuinely don't expect Ibiza to ever get packed this summer, not even in August - we're far too realistic for that. And so, we don't think the beaches will turn into an issue here. There will be a few beaches (Cala Conta and Cala Bassa, Salinas and Es Cavallet and certainly also Cala Salada) where the local authorities will have to implement some limits (the island of Menorca actually knows a similar system for years now and it works well), but the beauty of Ibiza is that there's always another beach close by if one is full. Having some space on the beach is actually nice and we believe that if allotments will be created, it will be beneficial for everyone.

Restaurants & Bars

In short? Yes and yes! Lots of restaurants have already opened their doors and more will do so in the coming weeks. As it's really warm here in summer, the vast majority of restaurants here have big open air terraces. The Spanish rules currently call for two meters distance between each table and this combined with the fact you're somewhere outside guarantees you a fantastic and safe dining experience.

Outdoor terraces of bars have also opened a while ago and now that Ibiza has entered the third phase of the Spanish de-escalation programme, the inside bits of bars may open as well. Same here, bar owners need to make sure their premises are at max 75% of their capacity so that some personal distance can be kept.

Clubbing

This is where we just can't negate the obvious. Because of coronavirus, the global nightlife community has pretty much come to a standstill and had to come to terms with the fact that, until a cure or a vaccine is available (or a radical change in direction of pretty much the entire world's governments as to how to approach the coronavirus situation is being performed, something rather unlikely at this point), clubbing as we know it is currently sadly on pause. Let's face the facts, the pure nature of clubbing - hundreds or thousands of people together in one closed room (often with low ceilings, maybe not so much in Ibiza), shoulder to shoulder, breathing and sweating - simply make for the perfect breeding ground for viruses. We wish it weren't so, but it's simply the truth.

Most of the nightclubs on the island haven't officially announced their decisions yet as to what their plans are. As of today, both O Beach Ibiza as well as Ibiza Rocks Hotel (both of them are outdoor, daytime clubbing venues) have announced they will open their doors on July 1 with a small capacity and socially distanced clubbing experience. We expect more venues to announce similarly, but we also expect some of the big venues eventually making it clear they won't open at all this summer.

What we do envisage this summer are small parties - these could be in nightclubs (say a few hundred people rather than the usual three to five thousand), these could be in villas (oh yes, villa parties will be a thing this summer) and these could also 'break out' spontaneously in some of the beach clubs in the late afternoon.

What's not very likely to happen this summer is seeing a club with a packed dancefloor. If some dancefloor action is allowed by law, it will most likely be limited / distanced or alternatively it could be a table-only system which means there will be more tables than usual in the entire venue and people stay around them which would avoid the currently possibly 'dangerous' mingling with others. don't see it as a sat down clubbing - people that take a vip table aren't sat at their table all the time - but if you stick to your group only around your table, the risk of contagion is much smaller. also, if such a system came into place, don't expect it to have the usual high vip table prices. but these are just assumptions made by seeing other venues in Europe going for such a system (pacha barcelona, kiesgrube in germany to name two examples).

So, in a nutshell, we are afraid, but this summer, Ibiza just won't be the same party island it usually is. But at the same time, you can't stop people from having a good time. People will get creative. The fact that there are outdoor venues where you can easily throw a party for a nice group of like minded people, and the experience and expertise the local promoters have in doing those parties make it clear for us that there will be things going on. Small and intimate will be the formula and we suggest you check out our forums for hints as to where those shindigs might happen...see you there!

part II

Activities

OK so if you are a clubber you've maybe just swallowed the bitter pill by reading the above paragraph. No packed clubs this summer. But hey, seeing you won't be hungover every day, maybe you finally get to do that scuba diving open-water course you've had on your pendings list for years? Ibiza has some amazing dive spots and the water's the cleanest we've seen in decades. Or do more of your yoga? Finally go cliff diving, sunrise or sunset hiking, horse riding, Formentera exploring, stargazing in the north of the island. The list goes on. Ibiza summer 2020 is all about doing all those things you always wanted, but never got to do so (no matter if you were clubbing all the time or not to be honest!).

Safety

Spain's mainland has been hit really hard by coronavirus, we're not telling you any news there (luckily the Balearics weren't hit as hard). And Spain's lockdown has been one of the strictest on the entire globe. The consequence is that the vast majority of locals are very conscious about the situation. Also, the Balearic islands depend on tourism and thus everyone is ready to do their utmost to make sure holidaymakers will feel safe here.

As mentioned further up, Spain's rules for public places currently include a two meter distance between groups of people, this is valid for restaurants, beaches etc. Also, wearing face masks will be compulsory whenever the minimum distance cannot be guaranteed - something we currently have to live with, but don't expect to be having to wear them on beaches, literally carry one with you in case you arrive somewhere with lots of people at once. One big advantage we have here in the Mediterranean is that life basically happens outdoors from April to November. And according to the scientists latest findings, outdoors contagion of coronavirus is almost inexistent. So while we certainly understand you currently might have reservations to hit a club filled to capacity with people (something that's not gonna happen this summer anyway by the looks of it), the fact is, Ibiza's 2020 version is set to be a very safe one.

Resuming - what atmosphere to expect?

What we expect is a very atypical summer. Ibiza will certainly be a lot quieter and more relaxed. We genuinely don't believe the island will ever get really full - not even in August. In a way it's a totally unique opportunity to see an island that's usually very busy for four entire months, but this year being far from 'peak', even in peak summer. There likely won't be any really big parties, but then again, will there be any huge parties anywhere in the world this summer? Instead, you'll find small gatherings, you'll likely see the cleanest Ibiza you've ever seen, you'll find space everywhere you go. Same for Formentera by the way, how many times have you wished to see that pearl just a little less busy...well there you go, one more thing for your Ibiza 2020 bucket list.

One thing is certain, while the world seems a weird place this year, those who do travel to Ibiza in the coming months will definitely experience a summer like no other here on the island.

daily update 9th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2240 (+2)
deaths: 227 (+1)
recovered: 1798 (+13)
active: 215 (-12)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 181 (-)
recovered: 146 (+1)
active: 23 (-1)

news:

• STK ibiza opens 9th july
  • hard rock hotel opens 10th july
  • Amàre Hotel in cala de bou opens 24th july
  • oceanbeat boat parties start from 11th july

daily update 10th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2242 (+2)
deaths: 227 (-)
recovered: 1809 (+11)
active: 206 (-9)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 181 (-)
recovered: 147 (+1)
active: 22 (-1)

news:
  • nobu hotel in talamanca opens 10th july
  • MiM hotel Es vivé opens this sat 13th june
  • restaurante o galego in santa eulalia reopens tomorrow 11th june

daily update 11th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2247 (+5)
recovered: 1817 (+7)
active: 204 (-2)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 183 (+2)
recovered: 148 (+1)
active: 23 (1)

news:
  • bora bora apartments open 1st july
  • nassau beach club opens 4th july now
  • in situ, weekly event at enigma ibiza, starting 5th july

daily update 12th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2251 (+4)
recovered: 1820 (+4)
active: 204 (-)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 183 (-)
recovered: 150 (+2)
active: 21 (-2)

news:
  • restaurante puertas del cielo has been reopened
  • the giri cafe reopens 23rd june
  • es cucons rural hotel opens july 1st
while we are still waiting to see the rules for the so-called 'new normality', we know that it'll be the 22nd june when we arrive in that phase. we also know that it'll be the balearic government that will have deciding power to set up rules for its territory. obviously we are all waiting to see what they plan to do regarding events and parties so we get a clear picture of what will be allowed.

daily update 13th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2257 (+6)
recovered: 1821 (+1)
active: 209 (+5)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 183 (-)
recovered: 151 (+1)
active: 20 (-1)

50 days without any deaths due to covid-19 on ibiza and formentera.

news:
  • restaurant cas pagès has been reopened
  • sa cova bistro reopens 19th june
  • new restaurant 'tapas & tablas' in pdb opens 19th june
  • hotel ocean drive reopens 1st july

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back