recovered: 1823 (+2)
active: 209 (-)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 184 (+1)
deaths: 12 (-)
recovered: 152 (+1)
active: 20 (-)

news:
  • spain's borders will reopen to schengen countries (portugal excluded) on 21st june finally and from that date onwards, no quarantine will be applied anymore. the borders to the rest of the world will reopen on 1st july, always respecting the pandemic situation of the countries in question and basing on a reciprocral open borders agreement.

daily update 15th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2262 (+3)
deaths: 227 (-)
recovered: 1838 (+15)
active: 197 (-12)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 184 (-)
recovered: 152 (-)

news:
  • the night league have announced there won't be any events at ushuaïa or hï in the month of JULY
  • chirincana in cala martina opens saturday 20th june
  • pikes sunday lunch & 'pikes on sunday' social gathering restarts 5th july
  • one ibiza suites in figueretas reopens 1st july
as for events/parties, ibiza is still awaiting to receive the rules for the 'new normality' valid from next monday 22nd june onwards. the guidelines and limits included in that decree will be one of the deciding factors as to what venues will open and under what format.

daily update 16th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2268 (+6)
deaths: 227 (-)
recovered: 1853 (+15)
active: 188 (-9)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 185 (+1)
recovered: 153 (+1)

news:
  • bar can berri in san augustin reopens tomorrow 17th june
  • restaurant es torrent reopens 19th june
  • playasol hotel group will gradually open up their hotels from 3rd july onwards and for now roughly half of their total beds
  • since anyone entering the UK has to go through a 14 day quarantine, spain is currently debating doing the same for UK travellers arriving in spain...this isn't confirmed yet though. https://www.periodicodeibiza.es/not...mponer-cuarentena-visitantes-reino-unido.html

daily update 17th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2270 (+2)
deaths: 228 (+1)
recovered: 1868 (+15)
active: 174 (-14)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 185 (-)
recovered: 153 (-)

news:
  • restaurante can berri vell reopens 1st july
  • chiringuito es cavallet reopens 4th july
  • on 16th july the spanish state will pay tribute to the victims of covid-19

club news:

daily update 18th june

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2272 (+2)
deaths: 228 (-)
recovered: 1886 (+18)
active: 164 (-12)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 185 (-)
recovered: 155 (+2)
active: 18 (-2)

news:
  • the island of formentera is currently corona free!!
  • there's already some news in regards to yesterday's newspiece from the diario de ibiza which said clubs weren't gonna be able to open (and which then got copied from pretty much every media worldwide....without reading it properly and without having any decree out anywhere): in a first step, as from sunday 21nd june onwards, small venues with an official capacity up to 300 people may open, with half of their capacity. as is the case in other countries, currently it's without dancefloor action - so bar only or table system (indoor our outdoor). also places that open will most likely open earlier than usual because they can't stay open until 6am currently - as in other countries, it'll be over either at 1am or at 2:30am (so figure an evening party rather than a proper nighttime event). lastly, and this is an important point, both parties (government and nightlife industry) have agreed they will revisit those rules every two weeks to see if any easing of rules can be considered or to reverse the opening grant in case any spikes happen.
resuming - as I had hinted lots of times, it is definitely a very unlikely thing to see one of the big indoor dancefloors busy at any time this summer. but the situation is dynamic and the fact the government has agreed to revisit the situation every two weeks does show exactly that. I understand their careful approach, but at the same time also believe there's still a chance the rules might be eased a little more as the summer goes on. various promoters have ideas to run things here and if the evolution continues favourable on the balearics and we don't see any huge spikes from any of those parties in switzerland for example, as delusional as some might think I am, I still see chances for some smaller shindigs with dancefloor action.

daily update 20th june

(sorry I was too busy yesterday)

numbers:

balearics:
total cases: 2279 (+7 compared to two days ago)
deaths: 228 (-)
recovered: 1906 (+20)
active: 149 (-15)

ibiza & formentera:
total cases: 187 (+2 compared to two days ago)
recovered: 156 (+1)
active: 19 (+1)

news:
  • spain is reaching 'new normal' after this weekend. tomorrow sunday 21st june the nationwide state of alarm ends and as from monday 22nd onwards, the borders reopen for schengen countries. bit by bit tourism will return to the balearics with more and more places opening up over the coming few weeks. some hotels and other businesses might only open in august and undeniably there will be places that will not open this summer.
  • as explained earlier this week, the nightlife options look very limited for this summer. some of the big venues have already announced they won't open (hï & ushuaïa, privilege too), others might follow, but there are also still various indoor and outdoor venues that are awaiting the evolution and the bi-weekly meeting between the nightlife industry sector and the balearic government to see if and what improvements might be granted. as said previously, don't get your hopes up too high is definitely a safe bet.
as the balearics get back to some sort of normality and after three months of daily updates, today's the final daily post in this thread. I will update the thread whenever there's important stuff to post, but it just won't be on a dailly basis.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - while ibiza 2020 will be far quieter than usually, it might as well be the most beautiful and true/real ibiza you could discover by visiting us this year.

after a few days here's another ibiza update for you.

from an epidemiological point of view, right now the balearics are looking really good. we're down to roughly 150 active cases for the entire balearic archipelago and 11 active cases only on ibiza with a very small number of new daily cases.

at the same time, flights are picking up - I can tell because I see and/or hear them coming in / leaving and while it's a fraction of what it's usually at this time of the year, it's definitely also a lot more than a month ago.

same as elsewhere in europe, on the spanish mainland we have seen the first 'rebrotes' (new small local spikes) - it's something we had to expect. and I personally also expect that at some point, our islands might get hit - with tourism coming back now going into july, it'll be almost impossible to avoid I think. but with the far quicker detection, track and trace (plus isolate) system, I believe no one should be overly worried. it simply is part of that 'new normality' we live in currently and big parts of europe are on a very similar epidemic level right now.

both the list of places not opening this summer (such as hotel garbi in playa d'en bossa which has announced it stays shut) as well as the list of places opening (such as ibiza gran hotel which opens july 24th or o beaches new venture bam-bu-ku next door which has opened yesterday) are growing. as I had said previously, to me it looks like 'half a season' from july onwards and I do think it'll take a few weeks into july until the season gets a bit of traction.

the EU is currently debating/preparing a list of 'safe' international countries (outside the EU) to open arrivals to from july onwards - rumour has it, the USA might be one of the countries not to be on that list...

from a clubbing point of view, from what I can tell, some of the still planned big july events will be soon called off unsurprisingly given the rules. as mentioned, the government and the nightlife sector will meet on a two week basis to discuss the state of things and see if anything more can be allowed, but at this point I'm not too optimistic personally. it seems the only feasible way is indeed the table only option or similar which guarantees social distancing. busy dancefloors can probably only be seen at villa parties this summer and after the cala conta party videos we've seen last weekend, it's likely a few people will have learnt something and will prohibit people to take videos and pics from villa parties.

pacha confirms the club won't open - for the first time in 52 years!

a quick update today

on the balearics we've got 141 active covid-19 cases, 12 of them here on ibiza. things keep looking good for now.

just seen hacienda na xamena opens on 14th july so that's another well-known place added to the list of hotels that do open this summer.

I'll probably hit the beach a bit this weekend so I'll report how the island feels - I haven't been out much during the last few days so will be good to see the evolution in terms of crowds etc.

and here's some more - anyone coming to ibiza this summer and staying in figueretas or playa d'en bossa: the aquabus ferry to formentera picks up its service again from the jetty between pdb and figueretas on 6th july. it's a little slower than the big ferry from ibiza town, but on the other hand it means you can walk to and from the ferry from your accommodation and don't need to go into town.

also...I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but visiting formentera should definitely be on your list for this year's ibiza holiday.

also, important for UK peeps wanting to visit ibiza this year, it seems that from 6th july onwards you won't have to quarantine on your return to the UK anymore after your holidays.

arrivals from 1st july onwards for US, russian, brazilian citizens (amongst others) - not decided yet, but it's looking like a no-go currently

here are some personal impressions from the first weekend after the end of state of alarm...

the beaches are definitely busier now. of course not as busy as they are at the end of june in a normal summer, but you can clearly see there's more people around and you hear more italian, french, german, dutch etc than a few weeks ago when all still was muy español. in a first wave in this week, I believe a lot of second home owners have come back to ibiza to stay here for as long as they can after their own lockdowns.

the first tourists are also here now - again, nothing compared to a normal summer just yet, but friends living in ibiza town have said that finally the centre gets a little livelier in the evening. I've thought about that and I actually think it could be a chance for ibiza town and the port this summer - as you've surely heard by now, it's not very likely we'll get a lot of proper nightlife this summer and thus hitting the port and its bars might actually be a good alternative this year. keep that in mind.

on the way back home today we did a detour and drove through playa d'en bossa. as you probably know the majority of hotels are still shut and so PdB is still very quiet and hardly anything has opened yet. but, as said further up, it's the first weekend in the new normal and step by step hotels and businesses will start opening up now. I think I've said it before, I believe it will take almost the entire month of july until the season finds its very own gear. in two weeks time things will look differently and at the end of july it will again be much busier.

the sea is beautifully clear and the water temperature is perfect - the ideal between cold and too warm - it's still refreshing, but warm enough so you can swim for half an hour if you want. also, and various friends who are just as passionate about the sea as I am have confirmed that too: funnily enough, this year so far there's very very few jellyfish around. hardly any.

so, if anyone is coming in the next ten days or so, expect a very summery but still very quiet ibiza as lots of places will just open up next weekend. I personally have a feeling that from mid-july onwards it'll start feeling like a 'season' - just a different one.

we haven't received any current covid numbers this weekend, but I guess tomorrow we'll get some up to date standings for the balearics and ibiza again. in spain there are various small spikes now, but I just think the 'new normal' does entail that.

here are a few news
  • https://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitius...-antoni-ampliara-cierre-terrazas/1152218.html - bars in the west end will be able to open their terraces until 2am. but only their terraces since because of covid-19 and the rules imposed by the balearic government, the inside of their establishments must stay shut this summer. this is still to be confirmed though and could take a month until OKed.
  • privilege has now just officially announced they won't open this summer (its owner had already hinted at that in an interview a while back)

figures to follow later I guess

and here are the current covid-19 figures for the balearics:

139 active cases as per today for the entire archipelago - only 11 of them here on ibiza. right now it's a very stable situation. since the outbreak of the pandemic, on ibiza we've had less than 200 cases (189 current total) and 12 deaths, the last casualty has been a long time ago.

while it's still a week to go until the next meeting between the balearic government and the nightlife industry, here's a current overview of what we know in terms of nightlife (and daytime venues) for this summer:

ushuaïa - won't open this season
hï - won't open this season
pacha - won't open this season (destino opens as a hotel though and lío opens with its dinner shows, but for now without dancefloor action afterwards)
privilege - won't open this season

amnesia - no events in july
eden - no events in july
(from what we know, both of them would be up for doing events from august onwards if they got the go ahead from the government)

o beach ibiza - opens 1st july, bed bookings only to guarantee social distancing
ibiza rocks - opens 1st july, socially distanced concept as well
bora bora - opens 2nd july, but from what we know for now just as a restaurant (TBC)

other venues such as benimussa park, cova santa, underground, dc10 and octan that haven't really communicated anything in the past few weeks are pending the outcome of said future meeting(s). from what we know, at least some of them are definitely interested to run things this summer still if they can.

other than that, there's now a decent number of beach clubs that are either already open or will open in the next ten days such as:

- malibu (salinas)
- sa trinxa (salinas)
- beso beach (salinas)
- jockey club (salinas)
- beachouse (pdb)
- nassau (pdb)
- coco beach (pdb)
- experimental beach (cap d'es falco)
- tropicana (cala jondal)
- cala bassa beach club (cala bassa)
- alma (port d'es torrent)
- bam-bu-ku (san an bay)

all of them are great for an afternoon out in the sun, with some tunes, food and drinks and good summer vibes. this list probably isn't complete, it's just off the top of my head

hola july!

today, the ibiza 2020 season sort of officially starts. more planes are coming in as from today and as mentioned above, over the course of the next few days, lots of places open their doors.

for people looking for a bit of music while on their holidays, adding to the list I put up the other day, here's some more:

las dalias has los suruba on sunday evenings (that one opened last sunday) and namasté on wednesday evenings (from next week onwards). table reservation essential!

pikes are welcoming non-hotel guests (it was a question here on the forums which is why I'm pointing it out). table or bed reservation is absolutely essential and you can either go during the day (until 8pm) or then in the evening (from 8pm until 2am, weekends only for now).

a specification in regards to bora bora: they'll have music all day, again it's beach loungers or restaurant tables only and no dancefloor action, reservation essential.

as mentioned, today both ibiza rocks as well as o beach open their doors - I'm sure we'll soon see some videos popping up on socials.

the current covid-19 situation on the balearics looks similar as in the past few days, a total of 144 active cases on the entire archipelago and 15 of them on ibiza. we've had the first small blip here with a total of 7 infections (they're included in the total number). in lots of places in spain these are popping up and while I'm not so sure all the citizens do as they should in terms of respecting the rules of 'new normal', it does at least seem the track, trace and isolate system is working currently.

one of the two local nightlife associations has requested the government to ease restrictions a little, let places up to 400 official capacity open (rather than 300 only) and until 3am instead of 2am. next week there's a new meeting to discuss and decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back