Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

Sven did another one, this time with new music! It‘s for tomorrowland core.

There is also a radioshow where they played a short interview with him, but not very interesting.
Not a big fan of Sven (sorry, I know that is blasphemy here), but this mix is excellent. Very hypnotic. A real modern day take on his previous trancey days a quarter of a century ago. Everything comes back round if you wait long enough!

Not a big fan of Sven (sorry, I know that is blasphemy here), but this mix is excellent. Very hypnotic. A real modern day take on his previous trancey days a quarter of a century ago. Everything comes back round if you wait long enough!
I found this mix a little too hard for my home listening taste.
More of an amnesia main room set than terrace

I found this mix a little too hard for my home listening taste.
More of an amnesia main room set than terrace
It is. Probably why I like it and you don’t! I’m sure I will be in the minority here though.

It’s been a long, long time since I enjoyed Sven’s output.

Leading on from my post in the party defining tunes, where I said my friend said she thought Sven has sold out from the Orbit days in Leeds. I'd still go and see him play, but guess my friend wouldn't, as she would always compare it to his early days. Even if you don't agree he's sold out, he's style of playing has definatley changed over the years, his style these days is along way from the Orbit days. Guess she would say, the change, in order for him to stay popular, is him selling out.

I get what your saying, but what dj is playing the same now as they did 20 years ago?

Personally I love sven and cocoon, but... I wouldn't listen to many sven sets at home in the gym and be blown away. In fact I don't listen to much techno at all in my headphones.
The last unbelievable sven set recorded was his boiler room in London around 2011.

For me it's the cocoon vibe, ethos, and atmosphere that attracts me, and sven is responsible for that. He can select some gems that other djs don't seem to play.

Last edited:
I like the music Papa plays these days, it's very carefully curated and he really avoids bland modern big room techno, even when he plays something on Drumcode it's a track like Black Dolphin (much more interesting than their usual output.)

I think it's one of the nice things with Sven, he usually picks well, and there are so few recordings of his sets that you are always in for a surprise when you go see him.

Think my friends old school when it comes to techno and yes I get cocoon has the potential still to be a good night, thats as much about the crowd it attracts and the atmosphere, mainly an older crowd. But I tend to agree Sven defo does not play old school techno any more. I like abit of a mixture, she obviously doesnt

Even if you don't agree he's sold out, he's style of playing has definatley changed over the years, his style these days is along way from the Orbit days.

I would hate it if any DJ played just like he did 20 years ago. Also the whole scene has evolved, there are few tracks that sound like 20 years ago that he could play. If you mean he doesn't play as fast as he used to - well, we all evolve and our tastes change.

I would hate it if any DJ played just like he did 20 years ago. Also the whole scene has evolved, there are few tracks that sound like 20 years ago that he could play. If you mean he doesn't play as fast as he used to - well, we all evolve and our tastes change.
Now I hear what your saying and your right it would be a very boring set, if a dj played the same tunes for 20 years, but as you say there are still a few new or even older banging techno tunes on the market and correct me if I'm wrong, but Sven never plays that sorta thing, even though that is what he was known for years ago, maybe he goes home and plays some banging techno, who knows haha

Think your right as people get older their taste changes, but then how can you tell if a dj is playing records because they genuinely like them or are playing them because they know that's what the audience wants to hear. If its the later, then he could then be accused of selling out.

Leading on from my post in the party defining tunes, where I said my friend said she thought Sven has sold out from the Orbit days in Leeds. I'd still go and see him play, but guess my friend wouldn't, as she would always compare it to his early days. Even if you don't agree he's sold out, he's style of playing has definatley changed over the years, his style these days is along way from the Orbit days. Guess she would say, the change, in order for him to stay popular, is him selling out.
I used to go see Vath at the orbit in Morley. He certainly banged it out there. However, he had a varied style. Back then he used to produce much more ambient mix tapes too. I’ve probably got some still. Reality is most DJs that are still relevant today have changed style and Vath remains relevant. Some DJs are blatant bandwagon jumpers. I wouldn’t say Vath is though. His style has evolved over time. Personally I really don’t like his output and haven’t for the best part of a couple of decades but keep checking in on him in the hope that he can return to former glories. However I came to realise that isn’t going to happen! One thing that does irritate me about him is that his record box is shallow and he is quite lazy. You could easily see him in April and hear the same set in October.

You could easily see him in April and hear the same set in October.
I can agree with this.
Lots of the sets are the same.

I'd prefer to see sven on special occasions where he is likely to be well up for it himself and bring out some classics and tracks that not many others play.

Yes, that can happen sometimes, with little variation over the months, in some years more than others.
He still plays banging sets though, on occasion. In the main room of Amnesia for instance, where he played industrial for a while. Or in Watergate Berlin while on a 12 hour journey. He usually plays softer during 3 hour festival appearances.
Don't think you can say he's sold out though, he would have to play melodic or edm for that to be true.

As somebody who saw him play most weeks in summer 2018 and also who complained about the lack of variety, it might've been 90% the same records from May to October but in fairness it was never the same set twice. Always different transitions. Still, some new tracks entering would've been good.

Frustrating for me, but few tourists would've known any different

Back