Cocoon20 - Discussion thread

okay so on the whole peggy gou discussion.

a - it's true she's been in that small cocoon booklet since the start of the season. for whatever reason it's not been properly announced yet though and you know how it is, as long as it's not properly announced...anything could change - although I don't expect it

b - from within cocoon circles as well as from beyond, her cocoon gig with sven at pacha last year has been regarded as one of cocoon's best parties last year. I'm no fanboy of her, I don't particularly like all her brand collabs and such, but I was there and I have to admit she massively surprised me in a good way. she can really mix and I thought her track selection was great. (if I compare it to nina kraviz who's loved by many but yet she trainwrecks mixes regularly). I get it peggy gets the slack from many people, but I truly believe she deserves a chance (for all those that have never actually gone and see a set of hers). the brand stuff is the brand stuff, but as a DJ, she's got my respect.

c - I get it people maybe expected hawtin or dixon or any other old legend, but them putting up peggy gou is also moving with the times.

lastly, with anna, beyer and alicante you've got a pretty techy main room. so the terrace will be a little housier/melodic (but again, for anyone who's never heard a set of PG before, her sets are pretty different than her productions - she can go pretty techy too).

a - it's true she's been in that small cocoon booklet since the start of the season. for whatever reason it's not been properly announced yet though and you know how it is, as long as it's not properly announced...anything could change - although I don't expect it

b - from within cocoon circles as well as from beyond, her cocoon gig with sven at pacha last year has been regarded as one of cocoon's best parties last year. I'm no fanboy of her, I don't particularly like all her brand collabs and such, but I was there and I have to admit she massively surprised me in a good way. she can really mix and I thought her track selection was great. (if I compare it to nina kraviz who's loved by many but yet she trainwrecks mixes regularly). I get it peggy gets the slack from many people, but I truly believe she deserves a chance (for all those that have never actually gone and see a set of hers). the brand stuff is the brand stuff, but as a DJ, she's got my respect.

c - I get it people maybe expected hawtin or dixon or any other old legend, but them putting up peggy gou is also moving with the times.

lastly, with anna, beyer and alicante you've got a pretty techy main room. so the terrace will be a little housier/melodic (but again, for anyone who's never heard a set of PG before, her sets are pretty different than her productions - she can go pretty techy too).
If that's the best they can come up with for a guest for what could possibly be the last ever party then it only confirms what I thought years ago - should have called it a day years ago.

Also if it's to "move with the times" then what a load of guff. Should be a guest who's been influencial over the 20 years of Cocoon on the island

How has the variation in Sven's sets been this season? The regular video clips are obviously always him hammering the same big records, but those particular records aside is it more varied than last season?

How has the variation in Sven's sets been this season? The regular video clips are obviously always him hammering the same big records, but those particular records aside is it more varied than last season?

Still not mixing it up enough for those of us attending each fortnight, I have to say. But aside from the week he was in the club room, I've enjoyed every set.

Should be a guest who's been influencial over the 20 years of Cocoon on the island

you shouldn't think they haven't tried.

I know from johannes personally they tried EVERYTHING to convince laurent garnier to come. he plays a cocoon gig in frankfurt in september, but he strictly doesn't want to play ibiza anymore.

I agree THAT would have been a smasher for the closing.

but still, I genuinely get why they got peggy.

you shouldn't think they haven't tried.

I know from johannes personally they tried EVERYTHING to convince laurent garnier to come. he plays a cocoon gig in frankfurt in september, but he strictly doesn't want to play ibiza anymore.

I agree THAT would have been a smasher for the closing.

but still, I genuinely get why they got peggy.

???

for what could possibly be the last ever party then it only confirms what I thought years ago - should have called it a day years ago.

so you really think that in todays marketing driven world they wouldn't announce it beforehand if this was the "last ever party in amnesia"? Find it odd that this "rumour" is still doing the rounds that cocoon is over in ibiza. even IF it is just one or two parties in a season now (and I very much doubt that it will be so few) don't expect the closing to be the very last cocoon :) but if more people go to the closing because they believe this - the better for cocoon i guess :)

You would have to think, given the current situation that Amnesia find itself in regarding parties, it will be doing its best to maintain Cocoon relations heading into 2020.

To be clear what I mean with this, is that Mondays along with elrow are the parties popular enough to warrant opening 2 rooms. Currently Together and ABODE are only the terrace, and it seems as though VGBDOS are debating heading the same way.
Though I can't comment on how People From Ibiza is getting on right now (those line-ups do pander to my tastes, but we know how competitive Sunday nights are).

I was personally hoping for a more melodic/housey terrace, so it’s all good for me. The latest sets I heard from Peggy were pretty techy and drummy, so I’m actually hoping she’s more on the melodic side that night.

You're two comments are precisely my thoughts right now @white_isle_calling - it seems that going bi-weekly and moving back to Amnesia has breathed some fresh life into Cocoon. That and also Sven making more appearances across the island at different venues. From the feedback I'm seeing on here combined with some video's on social media etc it seems that the numbers are doing the talking but I suppose we will have an accurate picture at the end of the season.

Either way, another season of Cocoon in this format works just fine for me!

The thing is though the marketing has been very good for this year with all the 20 year anniversary stuff. And with moving back to Amnesia and the rebound effect from that, I just don’t know if they will be able to recreate that next year or the year after that.

To me 20 years would be a good time to bow out of a season long residency. Rather go out on a high than die a long slow painful death.

Re: Peggy gou agree that it’s not the best booking for a Cocoon closing, but for me personally plenty of techno talent in the main room to get my teeth into before Sven comes on in the terrace.

Last edited:
The thing is though the marketing has been very good for this year with all the 20 year anniversary stuff. And with moving back to Amnesia and the rebound effect from that, I just know if they will be able to recreate that next year or the year after that.

To me 20 years would be a good time to bow out of a season long residency. Rather go out on a high than die a long slow painful death.

Re: Peggy gou agree that it’s not the best booking for a Cocoon closing, but for me personally plenty of techno talent in the main room to get my teeth into before Sven comes on in the terrace.
Unfortunately I think I may agree with this. With the 20 year thing I recon lots of people are coming out to what they believe is one last blast! Will they be able to carry that momentum on is another question. Have to say though from what you hear it does looks as though everything is going well for them so fingers crossed it does continue and continues to be a success.

They could always team up with another brands and have take overs in the main room, a bit like resistance do while keeping the terrace as Cocoon

Gonna be my first Cocoon closing at Amnesia. Based on previous years at Amnesia, how busy is it for the closing? Bearable or sardines?

Absolutely no chance they gonna do a small villa after for the closing of their anniversary season. And they shouldn‘t! It‘s gonna be for all and be huuuuge.

Back