Clubs officially opening after the COVID19 pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since their financial disaster in 2013, Eastern Electrics festival has catered almost exclusively to the young tech house generation. This year it's a lot more balanced. Jamie Jones headlining and Denis Sulta hosting his own stage, sure. But also a really nice stage with NOW, Folamour & Lovebirds (shame it's in the Big Top - uck!), Zip, Sonja Moonear and Rhadoo on another, plus Secretsundaze in VIP.

More concise than past years and moving to August Bank Holiday weekend is a bold move. SW4 will suffer I think

... if these festivals happen, of course
What happened 2013 ? I’ve followed it for a while but only first went last year. Could never be arsed to go up to Hatfield etc for a day festival

Despite the location being a bit of a pain thought it was fairly decent. Musically could have been better but was fun with a good group of mates. The switchyard bit with Defected was cool, and a shame the big top had the acts it did as that was pretty techno. Main stages are always pretty meh I think for atmosphere, and the evening got a bit cheesy (can’t even remember who was on but it defo wasn’t suitable for last set)

What happened 2013 ?
They tried to do a full weekend camping, completely misjudged it. Overspent considerably, loads of artists didn't get paid. It actually bankrupted them - surprised to see them return a year later

Despite losing a load of cash, it was actually a decent weekend I thought

Since their financial disaster in 2013, Eastern Electrics festival has catered almost exclusively to the young tech house generation. This year it's a lot more balanced. Jamie Jones headlining and Denis Sulta hosting his own stage, sure. But also a really nice stage with NOW, Folamour & Lovebirds (shame it's in the Big Top - uck!), Zip, Sonja Moonear and Rhadoo on another, plus Secretsundaze in VIP.

More concise than past years and moving to August Bank Holiday weekend is a bold move. SW4 will suffer I think

... if these festivals happen, of course
Did SW4 a few years ago- what an awful day, definitely not my kind of ravers. Not as bad as the shit show that was WERFSTVL or whatever the balls it was called in 2018

SW4 was always hampered by the sound restrictions of the location. Went a few times and was always OK - as long as you didn’t take it to seriously. The after parties were always much better. But agree the crowds progressively got worse and the line ups (I guess sensibly given the competition) reflect that

never bothered with WeAre... any line up with HUGE amount of DJs can’t be any good. 1 hour sets galore

SW4 was always hampered by the sound restrictions of the location.

Agreed on this. I went once about 6 years ago - the sound in the techno tent was abysmal. It was like listening to music on a Motorola Razr from underwater. Also agreed that the crowd is pretty insufferable.

More on topic - did anyone else see the Printworks email yesterday? It was a teaser for the AW21 season. A friend of mine works there and a few months ago wasn’t sure about the future of the Surrey Quays venue - there was apparently some discussion about moving somewhere else. Not sure how much truth or accuracy was in it - but looks hopeful that they’re staying put for now.

Agreed on this. I went once about 6 years ago - the sound in the techno tent was abysmal. It was like listening to music on a Motorola Razr from underwater. Also agreed that the crowd is pretty insufferable.

More on topic - did anyone else see the Printworks email yesterday? It was a teaser for the AW21 season. A friend of mine works there and a few months ago wasn’t sure about the future of the Surrey Quays venue - there was apparently some discussion about moving somewhere else. Not sure how much truth or accuracy was in it - but looks hopeful that they’re staying put for now.
Got the Printworks email and got excited about things to come.
I really like the venue, I've had so many good times there.

Printworks is only a temporary fixture, yeah. Once the Surrey Quays regeneration programme is complete, it will cease being a venue. Why there were so keen to secure Magazine as a permanent location.

That was the initial plan. Maybe it will get a stay of execution now?

Printworks is only a temporary fixture, yeah. Once the Surrey Quays regeneration programme is complete, it will cease being a venue. Why there were so keen to secure Magazine as a permanent location.

That was the initial plan. Maybe it will get a stay of execution now?

Ahh interesting. Did you ever make it to Magazine? I only went the once but loved it - felt much roomier than Printworks, although the sound drifted a bit towards the back of the room. I’m hoping there are a few events there again this year - all being well of course.

always decent bar staff at PW. But agreed, with a small group a visit to the toilet, regrouping, someone saying shall we get some fresh air / have a smoke, walk back, get a drink is invariably a 45 minute round trip

always decent bar staff at PW. But agreed, with a small group a visit to the toilet, regrouping, someone saying shall we get some fresh air / have a smoke, walk back, get a drink is invariably a 45 minute round trip
Was a shame for me when they switched from Meantime to Beavertown, but agree on the crew that worked it, never saw any aggro and quick service at all the bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back