Cheap flights & hotels

Finding a good ticket price can be tricky, especially during the holiday and tourist favorites for travel; you're competing with high demand and the airlines have a good notion for how to maximize their profit during the months of July and August especially. For my part, I had a one way to my destination and didn't know when I'd be returning exactly so just left it. What I found was between flying, landing, and checking in, prices had increased twofold!

What I learned is that you can extend your stay to wait for prices to come down. If you're like me, it may mean staying the course at a smaller property, making a new reservation for a lesser nightly rate, or financing the greater cost with a microlender (here we have one called Affirm) so that it doesn't have such an impact on your next month's budget.

But what happened with me is I got stranded! I am lucky enough to have a little bit of purchasing power with the microlender so as to procure a return ticket and also to extend the stay until a time such that the ticket will not be 100% higher than normal.

But it meant extending my stay until the ticket came down. At some point the cost of extending your stay to wait for more amicable airline prices increases your hotel expense by about the same amount.

Monitor the ticket prices or send alerts to your phone. Even take a flight with several stops or lengthy layovers! In the end you'll be dramatically reducing your costs, even if it means hanging out longer than normal at an airport terminal or spending during a really long layover on a nearby (or in-the-airport) hotel.

I learned during this trip that sometimes there is even a place to take a shower for €20.

I learned during this trip that sometimes there is even a place to take a shower for €20.
That's something I'm surprised that a lot of airports, especially in hotter countries, don't provide (for less than e20 mind!) - there's plenty of space at IBX for that if they dropped some of the retail units, but showers aren't even available in the lounge afaik.

Also would be nice if there was somewhere you could leave your carry-on luggage while you spend 2hrs in departures, bag-drop for a few euros?

Skyscanner didn't even show those. Tomorrow I'll have another look, try specific airlines like BA. Fancy early November in a hotel with indoor pool.

Skyscanner hasn’t been great for me lately and seems to now omit lots of airlines & airports.

When visiting my in-laws last month in the Algarve and looking for flights from Faro back to Ibiza (as no direct flights routes), it suggested I go to Liverpool or Leeds first for about 300 EUR rather than 20 EUR via Barcelona (plus likely a grim flight).

Skyscanner hasn’t been great for me lately and seems to now omit lots of airlines & airports.

When visiting my in-laws last month in the Algarve and looking for flights from Faro back to Ibiza (as no direct flights routes), it suggested I go to Liverpool or Leeds first for about 300 EUR rather than 20 EUR via Barcelona (plus likely a grim flight).
Is there an alternative to Skyscanner, I find Google Flights difficult to navigate eg can't input whole country and/or nearest other airport?

I guess the going for 2-4 day crowd becoming more the norm, it means those trying to book 7-10 days end up with limited availability as the long weekends are fully booked.
that's exactly what i meant a few days ago, if you ‘ re only on the island for 2-4 days, the whole thing might not play such a big role. But if, like us, you are there twice a year for +/- 2 weeks at a time...the prices are sometimes grotesque.

I paid £4800 GBP for 4 of us all inclusive for 10 nights that includes flights. Another grand would have got us 4 star but not in the bay and we can’t be bothered with all the taxis etc, we prefer to be able to go places on foot. We fly this coming Tuesday.

I always book separately, flights first then find a hotel.

Someone here may have the answer I need. trying to book to go to Mallorca with Air Europa but I can’t see anywhere how to get the resident discount. Does any smart person here know?

Someone here may have the answer I need. trying to book to go to Mallorca with Air Europa but I can’t see anywhere how to get the resident discount. Does any smart person here know?
This is from the Air Europa web site from my phone (I've just put some random dates just to get the form up)

IMG_20240818_203927.jpg

Booked a one way for 4 of us today, July 30th next year, £436 total.

The plan is to have 5 days in Ibiza then fly somewhere else for 5 days, no idea where yet though .

Why do we pay over the odds in the midlands from Birmingham and East Midlands.

Manchester, Luton, Bristol and London all seem to get much cheaper flights

Back