Champions League

Best Holding Midfielder (aka 'the Makalele role') = Claude Makalele

Even now, at 35, he's amazing on his good days. Has had some really good games this year.

No nonsense. No flair. Just effective. Gets the job done. Even brought 2 saves out of the keeper in his last match!

Even now, at 35, he's amazing on his good days. Has had some really good games this year.

No nonsense. No flair. Just effective. Gets the job done. Even brought 2 saves out of the keeper in his last match!

Yes and I have said this point before that Lampard should give up half his wages every week to Makele. Old Claude has done all his donkey work while he swans around. Why has Lampard been so unsuccesful for England? I will tell you why because he has no-one to do all the donkey work for him. (However to contradict that point name an England player over the last few years that has been successful or a find? None! None of them have recreated their club form and for Michael Owen that is probaly a blessing!)

Also I mean I know footballers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed but all this crap about Gerard and Lampard not being able to play together is an excuse for their glory-hunting egos. It is common sense that players cover one another when ones goes forward which you learn at junior school, the reason they can't understand that is they have egos and want to be scoring all the goals and grabbing the glory. Personally I would have Gerrard over Lampard. However both should give up a large portion of their wages to Claude and Javier.

surprise, surprise......Johhny picks a chelsea player :rolleyes:

How about Dunga??

It's Claude Makelele and not Makalele

In french, such player is called "porteur d'eau", because he is doing most of the job to get others to shine.
We also call Claude, "Monsieur 3 poumons" Mister 3 lungs.
Would be interesting to count the miles run during a game.

Platini had Tigana
Zidane had Makelele

Back