Champions League

Also agree with Micah Richards, he has the potential to be the best. Lucio is good too but I bet he wouldn't have liked playing against Big Duncan Ferguson in his day especially as he couldn't handle Kevin Davies of Bolton! However I wouldn't mind Lucio in my team.

John Terry is no way world class. You cannot mention him in the same breath as Cannavaro.Terry is a good premier league player and that is it.
I mostly agree about Terry. He tries to be the typical English hardman type, which doesnt quite translate to European ball sometimes.

But what about Ricardo Carvalho?! European defender of the year a couple years back. Comfortable on the ball. Well-timed tackles a plenty. Can surge forward as needed when given space.

William Gallas too, if you take away the attitude problems...

I mostly agree about Terry. He tries to be the typical English hardman type, which doesnt quite translate to European ball sometimes.

But what about Ricardo Carvalho?! European defender of the year a couple years back. Comfortable on the ball. Well-timed tackles a plenty. Can surge forward as needed when given space.

William Gallas too, if you take away the attitude problems...

Yep both are quality defenders. Carvalho has been one of the best in the world in my eyes for a while now. Got a little nasty snidey streak which I like in a player.

Thuram was class, and just got better with age

walter samuel & xavier zonnetti deserve a mention as rising stars

the best by a country mile for the last few years though have been

Cannavaro
nesta
maldini.............all Italian.......funny that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thuram was class, and just got better with age

walter samuel & xavier zonnetti deserve a mention as rising stars

the best by a country mile for the last few years though have been

Cannavaro
nesta
maldini.............all Italian.......funny that!!

walter samuel!! :lol:

he must be nearly 30, hardly a rising star!! he's ok but hasn't been at the races since he made his name at roma.

Another player who a great player in his day was Richard Gough. Shame he didn't stay down south too long to show how good he actually was. Never really going to get tested up there especially during that period Rangers dominated Scottish football if I recall. Please correct me if I am wrong Celtic bhoys. ;)

walter samuel!! :lol:

he must be nearly 30, hardly a rising star!! he's ok but hasn't been at the races since he made his name at roma.

i should have mentioned rising stars on the world class defender arena, almost ready to stand with nesta, maldini etc

Cannavaro has been poor since he's been at Real. Walter Samuel was also pretty bad at Real a few years ago... hmmm maybe it's more to do with Real Madrid than the individuals :lol:

Thuram is consistent, but now makes too many mistakes for Barca. He's a good replacement for Marquez and Milito.

I have to say, I'm not a massive admirer of italian football. I respect what Roma are doing this year because theyre much more positive than other italian teams. As for the national team don't get me started. They won the world cup playing one good game against Germany

what about carles puyol? did you forgot what a great defender he is? in my opinion he's the most important player in barca's defense by far for the last few years

woooooooh yeah!

mascherano is fcuking class - true world beater. we need rid of kuyt big time. time to buy a worldy of a wide midfielder. rafa to relaunch joaquin's career!!

united to get schalke or fenerbache in the quarters for sure.

and it just wouldn't be the same if we didn't get chelsea!!

Mascherano is if not one of the best holding midfielders in the world and has been for some time. Typical West Ham, played Hayden Muggins and Nigel Medicore in front of him! Be fair Mullins has proved a few people wrong at Ham. How come Mascherano only just signed permantley for the mickey mousers? If he as been on loan at Liverpool, on loan from who? Same with Tevez! Third party argument still goes on.

Joaquin at Valencia? He really has gone off the boil last couple of years. He is a beast of a player on his day but his day seems to be less and less often these days but still have him ahead of Pennant. Thought 2 - 3 years ago he was going to be a world beater and I think if Spain had played him during last world cup from the start they may well have progressed further.

Kuyt is ok but as a squad player and clubs size of Liverpool shouldn't be having him in starting line up if they are to be taken seriously. I mean would Barcelona, Chelsea, Man U or Real etc have Kuyt in their starting eleven? No question about his work rate though but hey I can work hard but I doubt many teams would have me.

woooooooh yeah!

mascherano is fcuking class - true world beater. we need rid of kuyt big time. time to buy a worldy of a wide midfielder. !

Kuyt on pitch with torres = Chris De bugh singing with Led Zeppelin :confused:

Funkin rubbish!

Can not believe he sent the italian geezer off tho :lol:

Kuyt on pitch with torres = Chris De bugh singing with Led Zeppelin :confused:

Funkin rubbish!

Can not believe he sent the italian geezer off tho :lol:

hargreaves is still of the best in europe for me, although Fergie seems to be trying to coach all of the flair out of him anmd turn him into another landcrab like carrick!!

I agree that Hargreaves is a good player and probably does not get the credit he deserves especially for England. He was our best player last tournament but to be fair they ain't saying much.

Back