Champions League

I love Italian footy. They are always my default team after England make their traditional exit from a tournament (thats when they earn the right to play at a tournament). I actually enjoyed the 2003 Champs league Final, I love watching teams defend well!! The best game of World Cup 2006, Germany vs Italy, not that it was a defensive game at all!!!

Totally agree. Defending is an art form and being an ex-defender (sunday league division 4!) I used to love being under the cosh and keeping a clean sheet and nicking a 1 nil. Who wants to play in a game where you win 15 nil (unless you are a forward!) and don't get a touch of the ball and just catch a cold for standing around in the rain!
It is a shame now that any tackle that involves physical contact usually results in booking or free kick. People say that you can't show your studs when tackling but sometimes you have too as how can you block? If you go with your own foot pointing forward then you take the risk of snapping it and breaking it. A decent tackle in a game can lift the crowd and team as much as a goal.
You look at defenders like Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi, absolute magic. Also Paul McGrath was fantastic in his day. Look at the current English centre halves all are exceptional talents Ferdinand, Woodgate etc. The lad at Roma Mexes is another quality defender. I could go on all day about defending! :D

Totally agree. Defending is an art form and being an ex-defender (sunday league division 4!) I used to love being under the cosh and keeping a clean sheet and nicking a 1 nil. Who wants to play in a game where you win 15 nil (unless you are a forward!) and don't get a touch of the ball and just catch a cold for standing around in the rain!
It is a shame now that any tackle that involves physical contact usually results in booking or free kick. People say that you can't show your studs when tackling but sometimes you have too as how can you block? If you go with your own foot pointing forward then you take the risk of snapping it and breaking it. A decent tackle in a game can lift the crowd and team as much as a goal.
You look at defenders like Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi, absolute magic. Also Paul McGrath was fantastic in his day. Look at the current English centre halves all are exceptional talents Ferdinand, Woodgate etc. The lad at Roma Mexes is another quality defender. I could go on all day about defending! :D

Oh yes, let me think?

Agreed on Mcgrath, probably the first in the wave of "footballing" centre halfs!!

Dave Watson (ex city & england)
Richard Dunne
Kaladze
Nesta
Marquez
Staam

all quality

good to see the arse & chelski through, hopefully united will have to play a decent team for the first time in the next round. I tell you, if they were in the last 4 and the other 3 teams were Milan, Real Madrid & barca, then UEFA would bring in fooking wigan or fulham to play united, seeing as I reckon they pl;ay them at least 10 times a season in the premship!!!

nice rant jj my city friend, jealousy is an ugly thing........you may beat us twice in a season but your still worlds apart when it comes to europe.....one day mate ;):lol:!

I can see the scousers getting through to make it a 4 english in the quarters.......and then we'll see what happnes my predictions are.

Liverpool v Chelsea
United v Schalke :)lol:)
Arsenal v Barca
Roma v Fenerbache

Oh yes, let me think?

Agreed on Mcgrath, probably the first in the wave of "footballing" centre halfs!!

Richard Dunne
Kaladze
Nesta
Marquez
Staam

all quality

Stam was top draw

Cannavaro
Socrates(the 40 cigarette a day womaniser from Brazil with the beard not the prophet!)
Rikjard and Koeman Euro 88 and 92! Both could play no greatest defenders
Alan Hansen
Jurgen Kohler

credit where it's due mate!!

ok i'll mention Graeme Hogg & laurent blanc then :lol:

and Bruce, Blackmore(fullback granted but still sh1te!) and Mal Donaghy! Also what was the French player with the bald head who played about 15 games before being shipped out??

Back onto quality defenders Slaven Bilic.

nice rant jj my city friend, jealousy is an ugly thing........you may beat us twice in a season but your still worlds apart when it comes to europe.....one day mate ;):lol:!

I can see the scousers getting through to make it a 4 english in the quarters.......and then we'll see what happnes my predictions are.

Liverpool v Chelsea
United v Schalke :)lol:)
Arsenal v Barca
Roma v Fenerbache

See. You've just admitted Man U are the jammiest cnuts in football when it comes to getting the easiest possible ties in any cup competition!

Liverpool v Chelsea
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, let me think?

Richard Dunne
Kaladze
Nesta
Marquez
Staam

all quality

for a minute there, i thought you mentioned richard dunne in a list of good cantre backs! :eek::lol:

Stam was top draw

Cannavaro
Socrates(the 40 cigarette a day womaniser from Brazil with the beard not the prophet!)
Rikjard and Koeman Euro 88 and 92! Both could play no greatest defenders
Alan Hansen
Jurgen Kohler

socrates was a midfielder, as was rijkard.

jurgen kohler was nothing more than a brut.

did rafa marquez get mentioned somewhere, class, especially when he plays for mexico.

you can't put cannavaro in the ball playing centre back list, he is just a world class stopper of the roberto ayala, john terry ilk.

of the ball playing defenders, beckenbauer and bobby moore were the greatest exponents.

paolo maldini of recent times is perhaps my favourite ever player in the history of the game. he has won the european cup 5 times! 8) he is in another league to franco baresi.

another great defender was lilian thuram. there was a time when he was at his peak that he was invincible.

of the current breed, micah richards has all the attributes to be as good as it gets. lucio is probably most skilfull, but also mistake prone.

socrates was a midfielder, as was rijkard.

jurgen kohler was nothing more than a brut.

did rafa marquez get mentioned somewhere, class, especially when he plays for mexico.

you can't put cannavaro in the ball playing centre back list, he is just a world class stopper of the roberto ayala, john terry ilk.

of the ball playing defenders, beckenbauer and bobby moore were the greatest exponents.

paolo maldini of recent times is perhaps my favourite ever player in the history of the game. he has won the european cup 5 times! 8) he is in another league to franco baresi.

another great defender was lilian thuram. there was a time when he was at his peak that he was invincible.

of the current breed, micah richards has all the attributes to be as good as it gets. lucio is probably most skilfull, but also mistake prone.

Rijkard played centre half in Euro 88 with Koeman.

Socrates played centre half at club and national level on many an occassion more so at club level (especially towards end of his career when didn't fancy that running lark). But granted him and Rijkard were famous and known for being midfielders. In that case you could also say Marcel Desailly. Awesome centre back and midfielder.

I didn't bring up the usual Moore, Beckenbauer as I never saw then play so I don't comment on them but yes without a doubt you could say both of them as best ball playing centre halves.
I like a defender to defend and leave the ball playing to the ball players, hence why Jurgen Kohler was there. You can't say he was just a brut. World Cup winner, European Championships winner, champs league winner, uefa cup winner, god knows how many Serie a and Bundesliga titles he won. You have to be able to play and defend a bit to have a career as succesfull as his.
John Terry is no way world class. You cannot mention him in the same breath as Cannavaro.Terry is a good premier league player and that is it. Same as Ian Wright great premier league player but you would never say he was world class. Terry has only played so many times for England due to injuries to others. Ayala is quality too.
Thuram totally agree a magnificent player in his day and would still walk into most sides.

Back