Champions League

Their coverage of the grandslam of darts was appalling! They treated all the viewers as if they had never watched a game of darts before in their life!

they do that with everything. - only have to watch ITV News especially.

OTT panic enducing bull**** "news" at its very worst. especially its Sports coverage like theres only 3 teams in the entire country worth reporting about!

As expected Celtic crash out of the Champions League after a 1-0 defeat to Barca, and 4-2 on aggregate :cry:, i thought only for sloppy defending in the first leg we had every chance but it wasn't to be and the Celtic PLC are deluding themselves if they think we are ever going to progress beyond this stage of the CL unless we spend big, good luck to Barca anyway.

Highlight of the night has to be Arsenal's 2-0 win over Milan, a superb performance by all accounts and you have to take your hat off to them.

Man United made hard work of beating Lyon but as expected progressed, Sevilla v Fernabache was some game with some cracking goals, pity Sevilla lost on penalties but credit to the Turks they deserved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only tension in the Barca game evaporated once Xavi scored. Thought the game was quite dull after that. Looked like the Barca players were in shock after Messi got injured. Im gutted for him :(. Hope he comes back soon.

Jonny, I do think you can go further in the CL. You probably just had the toughest draw. Had you got Porto for example you may well have qualified.

Well done Arsenal, saw highlights and they played extremely well.

Man Utd weren't all that impressive apparently.

Sevilla shouldve won that, silly mistakes defending set plays cost them.

Celtic fans praised after barcelona visit

Newsroom Staff
CELTIC fans have been praised for their exemplary behaviour during their visit to Barcelona this week.

Despite the 1-0 defeat in the Nou Camp, which saw Celtic go out of the UEFA Champions League, the Hoops supporters were once again a credit to the club and only served to further enhance Celtic’s reputation in Europe.

A spokesperson for the British Consul in Barcelona said: “The exemplary behaviour shown by Celtic fans during their visit to Barcelona has reinforced their good reputation.

“Everyone we have spoken to in Barcelona has praised their friendliness and good humour.”

Ahead of the game on Wednesday night, Barcelona City Council had gone to great lengths to welcome Celtic fans to the Catalan city.

They set up a special meeting place which provided a whole range of entertainment, culminating in a live screening of the match for supporters who did not have a ticket.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “I would like once again to thank the people of Barcelona for their kind hospitality.

“We worked very closely with the city council, the police and with FC Barcelona to ensure that our visit to the city would be a great occasion on and off the pitch.

“We were absolutely delighted with the welcome extended to us and, despite the disappointing result, this visit has only served to further strengthen the bonds between our two great clubs, and we wish Barcelona every success for the rest of the season.

“The Celtic fans conducted themselves brilliantly during their visit to Barcelona and we are very proud of our support.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_050308111213.aspx

Im just hoem from barca, obviously disappointed at the result, but the whole weekend was amazing. Hopefully the people of Barcelona will see now the difference between celtic and fans of other clubs who travel to their city, despite the fact that we were beaten and exited the competition, we sang for the whole ninety minutes inside the stadium, and we sang for two days in the streets.

HAIL HAIL Mate good to see, gutted i couldn't make it in the end myself but we done ourselves proud.:)

Im just home from barca, obviously disappointed at the result though it wasnt unexpected, but the whole weekend was amazing. Hopefully the people of Barcelona will see now the difference between celtic and fans of other clubs who travel to their city, despite the fact that we were beaten and exited the competition, we sang for the whole ninety minutes inside the stadium, and we sang for two days in the streets.
Although the police were very on edge (probably due to the behaviour of our lovely glasgow neighbours a couple of months ago) there was almost no trouble to speak of, and when you think that there were at least 5000 celtic fans sitting in the barcelona end of the stadium (mysef and my girlfriend included), it goes to show that we do deserve the title of best fans in the world (Copyright UEFA and FIFA).

In footballing terms, most teams who were in the last 16 would struggle to beat barcelona, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went on to win it. Just as Milan did when they knocked us out last year...no shame in that!!

Hail Hail
Come on the Hoops

HAIL HAIL Mate good to see, gutted i couldn't make it in the end myself but we done ourselves proud.:)

Ye would've loved it, we ended up paying 250 euros for two tickets, but that was kinda reasonable considering other prices we'd heard being bandied about, and the spanish guy who sold us them couldn't have been nicer, even loaned me his jacket to wear into the ground in case the stewards wouldn't let me in with me celtic top!!

Come on you Blues!

When Claude Makalele has 2 shots on target and forces 2 saves from the keeper, you know you've had a good match :lol:

Great performances all around. Ballack was tops. Fingers crossed for Fenerbache, Schalke or Roma :D (thinking of potential travel here, not ease of victory!)

Well played by the blues. Didnt see it but heard it was a stroll in the park. Looks like Barca might be the only team to test the english teams this year.

Real Madrid were shocking, they've been playing badly all season and they've finally been found out.

Personally im delighted Shalke beat Porto, i still haven't forgiven them for cheating their way to the UEFA Cup Final win against us in 2003:spank::lol: stroll in the park for Chelsea as expected but i don't think they'll go beyond the semi finals, Real Madrid were indeed bad but you have to give it to Roma they played very well.

man united's game was really boring and awful. i could hardly keep my eyes open during most parts of the game, and i'm a united fan. only after teves was sent off to the pitch around the 75 minute, united started to look a bit better in general, mostly because of the fact that teves is passing the ball much more often then ronnie and ronaldo.

i couldn't understand why scholes was left out of the starting 11, becasue i thought after viewing the whole match, that anderson and nani both had a really bad day.

i was really happy that real madrid lost to roma in both matches,it's good that smaller clubs then real madrid are in the next level.
maybe the draw will fix up a rematch between united and roma, and between chelsea and barcelona - that would be some great matches if and when that will be the case.

This is the best chance for any off the English sides to win the Champions League. Mind you there were 3 in the semis last year and still failed. Also all the other teams will be thinking the same thing.
Overall I do not think this year has been the strongest but this was gives the other smaller clubs a better opportunity to be fair.
Saying that the Champions League is now getting the same way as most leagues that only the same few teams can win it. Porto broke that rule a few years ago when they won it but I would be surprised if that happened again.

good to see the arse & chelski through, hopefully united will have to play a decent team for the first time in the next round. I tell you, if they were in the last 4 and the other 3 teams were Milan, Real Madrid & barca, then UEFA would bring in fooking wigan or fulham to play united, seeing as I reckon they pl;ay them at least 10 times a season in the premship!!!

Celtic fans praised after barcelona visit

Newsroom Staff
CELTIC fans have been praised for their exemplary behaviour during their visit to Barcelona this week.

Despite the 1-0 defeat in the Nou Camp, which saw Celtic go out of the UEFA Champions League, the Hoops supporters were once again a credit to the club and only served to further enhance Celtic’s reputation in Europe.

A spokesperson for the British Consul in Barcelona said: “The exemplary behaviour shown by Celtic fans during their visit to Barcelona has reinforced their good reputation.

“Everyone we have spoken to in Barcelona has praised their friendliness and good humour.”

Ahead of the game on Wednesday night, Barcelona City Council had gone to great lengths to welcome Celtic fans to the Catalan city.

They set up a special meeting place which provided a whole range of entertainment, culminating in a live screening of the match for supporters who did not have a ticket.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “I would like once again to thank the people of Barcelona for their kind hospitality.

“We worked very closely with the city council, the police and with FC Barcelona to ensure that our visit to the city would be a great occasion on and off the pitch.

“We were absolutely delighted with the welcome extended to us and, despite the disappointing result, this visit has only served to further strengthen the bonds between our two great clubs, and we wish Barcelona every success for the rest of the season.

“The Celtic fans conducted themselves brilliantly during their visit to Barcelona and we are very proud of our support.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_050308111213.aspx

no doubt helped by this

http://www.lavanguardia.es/free/edicionimpresa/res/20080305/53442167119.html

http://www.lavanguardia.es/free/edicionimpresa/res/20080305/53442173210.html

good to see the arse & chelski through, hopefully united will have to play a decent team for the first time in the next round. I tell you, if they were in the last 4 and the other 3 teams were Milan, Real Madrid & barca, then UEFA would bring in fooking wigan or fulham to play united, seeing as I reckon they pl;ay them at least 10 times a season in the premship!!!

I wouldn't say Lyon was an easy draw though but I know what you mean. Milan and Real Madrid are probably the best time to play them as Milan are too old now and Madrid are not quite as good as they used to. They have signed a fair few youngsters including Robben which i do not believe for 1 minute he is 24 or 25, nearer 40, the same applies for Yakubu at Everton and Oba Femi Martins at Newcastle who both claim to be early 20s!! I think Moyes said it the other day that it was in Nigerian years!
I think all the clubs are hoping to draw the Germans or the Turks. Also the LIverpool Inter game is not over by a longshot yet. Roma have plodded along quietly without fuss.

I wouldn't say Lyon was an easy draw though but I know what you mean. Milan and Real Madrid are probably the best time to play them as Milan are too old now and Madrid are not quite as good as they used to. They have signed a fair few youngsters including Robben which i do not believe for 1 minute he is 24 or 25, nearer 40, the same applies for Yakubu at Everton and Oba Femi Martins at Newcastle who both claim to be early 20s!! I think Moyes said it the other day that it was in Nigerian years!
I think all the clubs are hoping to draw the Germans or the Turks. Also the LIverpool Inter game is not over by a longshot yet. Roma have plodded along quietly without fuss.

Liverpool & Roma could be the "dark horse" I reckon

Yeah as said Roma just going about their business quietly. The Italian league yet not the most exciting is a very stong league. My mate thinks its rubbish yet I shut him up by saying who won the European Cup last year and the World Cup in 2006? Also who won world footballer of the year in 2007 was it Cannavaro? Same at the Germans you write them off at your peril.

Yeah as said Roma just going about their business quietly. The Italian league yet not the most exciting is a very stong league. My mate thinks its rubbish yet I shut him up by saying who won the European Cup last year and the World Cup in 2006? Also who won world footballer of the year in 2007 was it Cannavaro? Same at the Germans you write them off at your peril.

I love Italian footy. They are always my default team after England make their traditional exit from a tournament (thats when they earn the right to play at a tournament). I actually enjoyed the 2003 Champs league Final, I love watching teams defend well!! The best game of World Cup 2006, Germany vs Italy, not that it was a defensive game at all!!!

Back