CHAMPIONS!! força barça!!!!!!

Did anyone see the Barca celebrations?

Messi was completely hammered.. hilarious sight. He tried to say something with the mic, it was so slurred not sure what he said.
I think iniesta was also pretty wasted.

love this squad, came across like such a down to earth group of people.

Athletes = lightweights :lol: Good to see them like that, they seem more human :lol:

Is it not a bit ironic that while we used to roundly criticize Jonny69 for his love of all things Celtic and Manchester United, no one has taken Grego, Liam, etc. to task for having dual loyalties to Liverpool and Barcelona? :lol:

:)

As expats (like yourself) we are always going to support a team in our adopted country. Mine is Barça, though when we played them, LFC always come firs.t Plus i hate man utd. Just like I want Chelsea to win at the weekend, I dont hate Everton as much as Manure, I just wouldnt be able to face the stick from my friends back home :lol:

Ah very well observed Morbs.

So Morbs are you comparing Grego and Liam to young Jonny69???:eek::eek::lol: No malice?!!?!?:lol:

:lol:

:lol: Cheers Liam ;)

Three teams in the same league? Surely a violation of football supporter ethics! :lol: ;)

:twisted:

I'm not sure you understand the geo-political nature of Spanish football. It's perfectly natural for Catalans and Basques to support each other's clubs in the mutual struggle against castilian aggression, which dates back centuries. Football clubs are metaphors for armies - the gun was replaced by the ball after the civil war and that enmity has carried on to this day.

In my case, I don't choose to 'support' Barca. It's in the blood. It's not an option or a lifestyle accessory. You're Barca the moment you're born. There are a few Catalans who support Espanyol because they're eccentric/like the underdog/hate regionalism and others back Madrid for similar reasons, but for most, it's the nearest they will ever get to a "National" side, and for that, it is a very different understanding of loyalty to most British localised support, which perhaps only the Old Firm really come close to, in any political sense.

what a result!!

The rags were quick out of the blocks, but once Barca scored it completely knocked the stuffing out of the rags, they couldn't come back from it. They got a footballing masterclass on how to keep the ball. I dont recall seeing a manure team look so vulnerable, Barca just kept coming and coming. Fantastic technique from Messi with his header, Rio got a great view of it and Van der Sar could only wave at it as it shot past him :lol: also loved seeing Eto turn Vidic inside out for his goal!!

Ronaldo showed what a **** proffessional he is by putting in a few petulant challenges towards the end!

It was men vs boys!!!

what a result!!

The rags were quick out of the blocks, but once Barca scored it completely knocked the stuffing out of the rags, they couldn't come back from it. They got a footballing masterclass on how to keep the ball. I dont recall seeing a manure team look so vulnerable, Barca just kept coming and coming. Fantastic technique from Messi with his header, Rio got a great view of it and Van der Sar could only wave at it as it shot past him :lol: also loved seeing Eto turn Vidic inside out for his goal!!

Ronaldo showed what a **** proffessional he is by putting in a few petulant challenges towards the end!

It was men vs boys!!!

thats what football should be about
none of this "support the english teams" nonsense

a Man City fan revelling in Man U's defeat
rivalry and without it football would be poorer

I'm not sure you understand the geo-political nature of Spanish football. It's perfectly natural for Catalans and Basques to support each other's clubs in the mutual struggle against castilian aggression, which dates back centuries. Football clubs are metaphors for armies - the gun was replaced by the ball after the civil war and that enmity has carried on to this day.

I'm sorry but this is priceless... Olly you have out done yourself with this one my man!!!
Especially the bit about the gun being replaced with the football. Did this happen around the same time that the pen became mightier than the sword?

J

Yes, of course. I've got CSKA Moscow here and DC United back home. I was once even ridiculed on this very forum when I mentioned it!

Morb, Im moving to Toronto in June so I'm going to start watching MLS... ive seen a few games before but nothing big. Toronto FC are usually mid table right? I might have to take them on to my 'teams I'm allowed to support other than Chelsea list'

J

I'm sorry but this is priceless... Olly you have out done yourself with this one my man!!!
Especially the bit about the gun being replaced with the football. Did this happen around the same time that the pen became mightier than the sword?

J

you can mock me all you like

but these are the FACTS

My Gran was a card-carrying member for nearly 40 years and saw it all... Football assumed massive significance in the post civil war years because it was the ONLY place where people could speak their own language in public, the only place people could express their views without being carted off to jail and the only place people could blow raspberries at the fascist military kunts ruling Spain at the time. So the resistance carried on but in a peaceful way - hence the gun/ball analogy. That is why Real Madrid is HATED so much because they were the team of the central government and the symbol of the occupation. The Basques took it further and took up arms and eventually terrorism. The Catalans were different and resisted in different ways, above all through football.

Morb, Im moving to Toronto in June so I'm going to start watching MLS... ive seen a few games before but nothing big. Toronto FC are usually mid table right? I might have to take them on to my 'teams I'm allowed to support other than Chelsea list'
The MLS made the unfortunate mistake of following the same pattern as other N.American sports and dividing up the league into divisions, so it's hard to say who is mid-table because there are 2 tables! :lol:

Just looked it up and Toronto are in 3rd place in the East, just behind DC United :D

(as an aside, they just announced that Real Madrid will play DC in a friendly in August...)

J

I believe Franco's soldier executed Barcelona's president during the war for supporting Barcelona. I may be wrong and I am sure I will be pulled up on this if I am! So I think Olly may be referring to this and the rivalry in Spain.

Check out the book on Barca - A People's Passion by Jimmy Burns. Very interesting read.

you can mock me all you like

but these are the FACTS

My Gran was a card-carrying member for nearly 40 years and saw it all... Football assumed massive significance in the post civil war years because it was the ONLY place where people could speak their own language in public, the only place people could express their views without being carted off to jail and the only place people could blow raspberries at the fascist military kunts ruling Spain at the time. So the resistance carried on but in a peaceful way - hence the gun/ball analogy. That is why Real Madrid is HATED so much because they were the team of the central government and the symbol of the occupation. The Basques took it further and took up arms and eventually terrorism. The Catalans were different and resisted in different ways, above all through football.

Ok, you tell a good story I'll give you that. :rolleyes:
Similar situation in the North of Ireland. We started a league as well to settle the political differences, but for some strange reason people just seen it as a game (WHICH IT IS) and continued to shoot each other.
J

The MLS made the unfortunate mistake of following the same pattern as other N.American sports and dividing up the league into divisions, so it's hard to say who is mid-table because there are 2 tables! :lol:

Just looked it up and Toronto are in 3rd place in the East, just behind DC United :D

(as an aside, they just announced that Real Madrid will play DC in a friendly in August...)

Aha, East Coast and West Coast conferences I take it? I assume they have playoffs then as well?

J

J

Priceless? It's true, Spain's recent history is well complicated and difficult to understand and to explain but more or less is how Olly explained it.

Priceless? It's true, Spain's recent history is well complicated and difficult to understand and to explain but more or less is how Olly explained it.

Of course there are going to be rivalries... thats not what disagreeing with, but i just think to say that the gun was replaced by the football is taking it a bit too far. Just my opinion of course and don't want to step on any toes but I find that comment hard to accept.
J

Of course there are going to be rivalries... thats not what disagreeing with, but i just think to say that the gun was replaced by the football is taking it a bit too far. Just my opinion of course and don't want to step on any toes but I find that comment hard to accept.
J

You are not stepping on any toes, I'm just pointing that if you knew about the spanish recent history you wouldn't be surprised with the comparison

a side note re: the anti-franco

heard from a few people that were at the 192 Cup Winner Cup final in barcelona

Rangers won and the fans went en masse onto the pitch to celebrate
to be met by the national police of Franco
mass brawl ensued with Franco's boys meeting some resistance

a few fans have told how they walked back from the Camp Nou to the centre of Barcelona and once there didn't buy a drink all night - so delighted were the Catalans with the show of standing up to Francos police

Back