Buddhism...

Not looked at Buddhism in any detail, other than previously mentioned. This concept of one universal mind appeals to me, it can make perfect sense when considering the actual matter of planet earth would fit on a full stop.

Reality is surely an illusion?

Reality can't be an illusion. Our packaging of it can create an illusion. I think.

If there is one universal mind, why would it try and trick itself into thinking it consists of separate minds :?:

If there is one universal mind, why would it try and trick itself into thinking it consists of separate minds :?:

In the words of the great Alan Watts, "An apple tree apples, the earth peoples" :D

Seriously this is a great thread, and it would be good to see how peoples thoughts and opinions develop over the months and years. Will develop into a spotlight classic thread:D

**** me, it's either a Word Association thread or this psycho-babble navel gazing.

Prescribing to Bhuddism is like prescribing to any religion.

****ing Bollocks.

**** me, it's either a Word Association thread or this psycho-babble navel gazing.

****ing Bollocks.

Do you know anything about Buddhism? It's totally different from Islam, Christianity, etc in that it shouldn't be taken on faith. I don't quite understand some of the conclusions it comes to; however, it includes a lot of good suggestions about what causes us pain in life and how we might deal with it.

Some suggested reading for the flat earth bridage;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Hippies-Saved-Physics-Counterculture/dp/0393076369

51fnNNmnjTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apologies for the slight deviation, JV. It would not be easy for believers in Newtonian physics to appreciate the potential benefits of Buddhism...

A renewed attempt at trying to apply mindfulness today!

My mate's recommended 'The Power Of Now'. Anyone here read it?

A renewed attempt at trying to apply mindfulness today!

My mate's recommended 'The Power Of Now'. Anyone here read it?

Not read the book you mention, but in similar vein have listened (audio books) to a lot of Deepak Chopra. Some interesting ideas, mainly on the concept of we are all part of one conciousness.

I think actual Buddhist philosophy is of less interest to me now than practising mindfulness. I've picked up way too many negative thought patterns and mindfulness may be the best way of dealing with them.

I've made an effort to watch my mind this morning, note the beginnings of any unhelpful thoughts, and it's been one of the easier Monday mornings for a while.

Not read the book you mention, but in similar vein have listened (audio books) to a lot of Deepak Chopra. Some interesting ideas, mainly on the concept of we are all part of one conciousness.

In Ireland, the teachings of Ajai Chopra are now popular.....

****ing Bollocks.

Agree on the dogma sentiment - but the Buddhist path is definitely not like any other religion. It can be used as a practice and it's easy to take the bits you want and leave the hierarchical smug bull$hit.

I do however think it's a massively incomplete teaching. (see previous comments)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have really enjoyed reading this thread :)

I find Buddhism applies itself well to individuals. Its a very "for myself" and soloistic concept that pritorises the one rather than the whole. I realise the one is part of the whole but IMO Budhisim does not try hard enough to be part of reality. It is what it is.... you have to find Buddhism it does not come to you. A little Selfish maybe ??

For a person with life responsibilities, a family, a job, dependents and other people to look after I find Budhisim does not suit them. Unless the person walks away from those responsibilities and starts to "find themselves" then Buddhism in its purest form can not function for a certain people.

Maybe thats the reason all the respected Buddhist gurus end up as lonely old men???

I prefer family, I prefer engaging with society, its not perfect but its interesting. I enjoy meeting all sorts of people and taking the best bits of all beliefs and cultures and learning from it.

I have adapted many Buddhist belifes into my life but to say I would like to live under one dogma or culture would not be good for me. I like diversity I feel it enriches life and teaches us more about all nature not just the good stuff.

Thats way I like Ibiza. Its diverse and tolerant to all and allows self expression.

this quote is brilliant tho and is more in the way that I think but I would love to learn how to cope with everyday 'hurdles' more calmly! :lol:

Have a read about mindfulness.

I think I have been told about that book before, you recommend it then? Im always looking for bedtime reading as that is usually the only chance I get to read a book, that is if Im not too knackered from being a mum all day!!! :lol: Oh how my life has changed!

Agree on the dogma sentiment - but the Buddhist path is definitely not like any other religion. It can be used as a practice and it's easy to take the bits you want and leave the hierarchical smug bull$hit.

I do however think it's a massively incomplete teaching. (see previous comments)...

and theres no ancient 'book' which can be interperated in so many way to justify one's means to an end...

I think I have been told about that book before, you recommend it then? Im always looking for bedtime reading as that is usually the only chance I get to read a book, that is if Im not too knackered from being a mum all day!!! :lol: Oh how my life has changed!

'Life With Full Attention: A Practical Course In Mindfulness' - I've been reading through it without doing the exercises/meditations. That said, I do feel I get some benefit from it. If I find my head is swilling with -ve thoughts, I do try and remember to just note them and it does help them go away.

'Buddhism: Plain & Simple' - good book for describing the Buddhist perspective and offers you a different way of looking at things.

My mate has recommended 'The Power Of Now' - sounds like it covers similar stuff. The point is to live in the now, not in the past or in the future (& you do that by employing mindfulness). I may have a read of that next.

I can't say any of these books will totally change your life, but I do think they can give pointers/clues to what might be wrong with life and offer some practical advice and mind tricks that if applied enough can help. I do find you need to keep it in your head - for me, that means reading (or re-reading) something mindfulness or Buddhism related for 5 or 10 minutes over breakfast every morning. Kinda like 'thought for the day'.

JV, I am currently listening to "You're it: On Hiding, Seeking and being Found", Alan Watts.

Of all the stuff I have read and listened to over the years, this is soooo good. I will happily copy to mp3 and send over to you. The guy is awesome in the way he can teach a lot of zen stuff without going deeper than necessary. He doesn't take himself or the subject matter at all seriously yet gets across some profound thinking in an amazing way. Of course the purists will argue, and rightly so in a way, it's not possible to reach such a heightened state of awareness using an eleven hour audio tape but it is great listening:D

He is a hero of mine, so perhaps I am slightly biased:oops:

Sounds good WeLuv - would be up for a listen... As i said, though, prob getting away from all the fluff surrounding Buddhism and trying to find the stuff of practical use - though the ideas feed into that. If you accept you are not your thoughts (if there is a 'you' at all), then it becomes easier to disassociate yourself from your thoughts and let unwanted ones go. :D

Back