British and Bad teeth, Myth or for real?

Holly G said:
MARKB said:
[
People from the Southern states in the USA all *beep* their cousins, so i hear.... :rolleyes:

See...there could be some truth to that. Then again, in small towns all over the world, not uncommon to marry cousins...not many people to choose from. So I can see that happening.

Well the above post about Euorpeans and teeth just about sums up the attitude that makes Americans almost universally loathed !!!

WhiteIsleGirl said:
Well what do you know? Am curious about that as I have seen the bad teeth myself. And more than quite a few to conclude...too lazy to brush em? And I don't think it's cracked/chipped teeth he's referring to but more so, why the buildup (tartar)?

I never had my teeth whitened and most of us here don' t either. It's about $650 dollars to whiten teeth. Overall, even insurance does not cover for most repairs anyway. Don't know what insurance you are referring to. I had very good insurance at the Hedge Fund I used to work...still had to pay out of pocket. Premiums for both medical or dental are extremely high in America if you are not fully covered by our company (fortunately I was). Why do you think there are so many that don't have health insurance?! Point is, my teeth are white and I hardly go to the dentist...I just brush quite frequently.

All in all, I think it's more of a hygiene issue. Also, all about keepinp up appearanes here as well. I would not even narrow to only the UK but more so Europe. I have traveled quite a bit and have dared to ask several of my peeps and they do admit that they don't shower as much as we do. Even change of clothes... It all stems from the lack of water back in the day and also having communal baths. Water was also very expensive. It was not unusual to bathe in dirty water your whole family used. (Always open for other ppl's views)

As for the fatties stereotype in America...well the stypes come from some truth. Studies have shown over and over, we are the largest peeps in all of the world. Even when I am abroad, it's usually Americans that are hogging up two seats. LOL! Ok...let me stop being silly. But it's true. Just look around you...it's quite evident. And have to admit, have exprienced the loudness too! It's annoying. And have to add, rat packs...always traveling in packs of 5 or more! Why?!

Again, for both, the stereotypes do come from some truth so let's not deny. I'm American born but will admit what I see around me.

Hope this will spark ya all. Hee, hee.

Stereotypes come from truth! :confused:

I'd think about that a bit more. Dangerous words that racists and homophobes use to justify their thoughts and actions!

comin' at ya said:
Well the above post about Euorpeans and teeth just about sums up the attitude that makes Americans almost universally loathed !!!

Care to elaborate? Am interested to know why Americans are loathed.

I'd think about that a bit more. Dangerous words that racists and homophobes use to justify their thoughts and actions![/quote]

I would take your own advice to make such judgement. :eek:

WhiteIsleGirl said:
I'd think about that a bit more. Dangerous words that racists and homophobes use to justify their thoughts and actions!

I would take your own advice to make such judgement. :eek:[/quote]

I havent made a judgement about anyone- nor would I! I have not accused you of anything, all I am saying that the myth that stereotypes are true can help certain sections of society to justify their actions! :rolleyes:

comin' at ya said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolute quality. Need he say more?

Yanks are fat b/c food is cheap here and portions are big. We work long hours and the markup on carbs at restaurants is tremendous. This is less in sunbelt states, as they get to excercise more, and restaurant menus , markets carry better varieties.

WhiteIsleGirl said:

I would copy and paste if i were you as I wrote, from "some truth"...not the entirety.

I'm sorry but playing with semantics does not disguise the fact that you are making prejudiced statements against entire nations of people! :rolleyes:

comin' at ya said:
Think about it - you come on here and make the most ridiculous statement like the above and then ask that question.

:confused:

Why is it a ridiculous statement? They are my observations and partial conclusions as I have not seen every person in the regions mentioned. Hello...that is why I wrote in parenthesis, I am open to other's people views. Why just not elaborate? I made a statement and I shared my observations and opinions. To eradicate stereotypes, then why not start here by stating your opposing views rather than just "loathing" us. Go on, educate us, if you will. Why so defensive?

Also, I did not take either side as I addressed the Americans being fat stereotypes. We are all entitled to our opinions so am interested to know what are yours.

Scoobie said:
WhiteIsleGirl said:

I would copy and paste if i were you as I wrote, from "some truth"...not the entirety.

I'm sorry but playing with semantics does not disguise the fact that you are making prejudiced statements against entire nations of people! :rolleyes:

Not a case of semantics, point is and I am entitled to my opinion, stereotypes do stem from "some truth" which is my statement and now you are extending it to me "making prejudiced statements against entire nations of people! "

vdubjb said:
Yanks are fat b/c food is cheap here and portions are big. We work long hours and the markup on carbs at restaurants is tremendous. This is less in sunbelt states, as they get to excercise more, and restaurant menus , markets carry better varieties.

There you go, nuff said.

You dont think the fact you came on to a board full of Europeans and said that Europeans dont wash as much as Americans and it might be something to with the fact we didnt used to have much water or some s*hit like that ??

I think there are 3 options.

1. You are on the wind up.
2. Your extremely dense.
3. Both of the above.

I'd think about that a bit more. Dangerous words that racists and homophobes use to justify their thoughts and actions![/quote]

Don't edit it as you did make a judgement. The original quote as you wrote it is above. The word "some" truth meaning partially and not the entire truth makes a big difference as you are now carrying it on that I have these views on an entire population which is not the case in point.

Why just not elaborate instead of making judgements and attacking with your general statement of being loathed? There's another fellow American expressing his view about the fat stereotype, he did not get defensive and said his two cents. Why the attack?

WhiteIsleGirl said:

Don't edit it as you did make a judgement. The original quote as you wrote it is above. The word "some" truth meaning partially and not the entire truth makes a big difference as you are now carrying it on that I have these views on an entire population which is not the case in point.

Why just not elaborate instead of making judgements and attacking with your general statement of being loathed? There's another fellow American expressing his view about the fat stereotype, he did not get defensive and said his two cents. Why the attack?[/quote]

What on earth are you on about - I havent edited anything, and if I had it would say on my post! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I really don't care enough about what you think to bother editing my posts. The fact is I have never, nor would I make a judgement about you or anyone else. The post as above is what I wrote in my original post - which is still there as written. At no point did I say it was about you as I've already explained. All I said was that by perpetuating the idea that sterotypes are there for a reason, it helps some parts of society (which again I stress was not directed at you in any way) to justify their actions. :rolleyes:

comin' at ya said:
You dont think the fact you came on to a board full of Europeans and said that Europeans dont wash as much as Americans and it might be something to with the fact we didnt used to have much water or some s*hit like that ??

I think there are 3 options.

1. You are on the wind up.
2. Your extremely dense.
3. Both of the above.

So then you would mean to say that, we should not address, express our view or ask anything European related because the general audience here is European? Why this post in the first place?!

If you beg to differ then just elaborate on your views and don't be so quick to attack with such a general statement.

WhiteIsleGirl said:
All in all, I think it's more of a hygiene issue. Also, all about keepinp up appearanes here as well. I would not even narrow to only the UK but more so Europe. I have traveled quite a bit and have dared to ask several of my peeps and they do admit that they don't shower as much as we do. Even change of clothes... It all stems from the lack of water back in the day and also having communal baths. Water was also very expensive. It was not unusual to bathe in dirty water your whole family used. (Always open for other ppl's views)

Holly/Scoobie, are we all ok to share a bath tomorrow night :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barbie said:
WhiteIsleGirl said:

Holly/Scoobie, are we all ok to share a bath tomorrow night :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I'm not wasting extra water on you two, so its all together or not at all till our next scheduled wash in September :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back