British and Bad teeth, Myth or for real?

C

Crazed

I've always wondered that stereotype about english people and bad teeth.. I never really noticed it but I've always wondered if that was true about some brits. I know it's not true for all, and probably just older people probably have that problem but whats the deal with that stereotype?

I think its probably because you Americans are stereotyped to all have perfect white teeth.

I think your dental care is superior to ours, and that shows in your teeth. Luckily...I have nice white straight ones ;)

How much are veneers where you are? I just got six done to fix up marks I've had since birth and they weren't that cheap!!!

Yeah that could be the case...they are very expensive over here!

I have two veneers at the front, cause I cracked my front teeth in a skiing accident :confused: Luckily I got them for free cause I was only 15 at the time...otherwise they would be at least £1000! :confused:

ouch that is expensive. Are they porcelain or white filling veneers? Mine are white filling veneers and cost me $AUS 1000 for six.

well I only have two, but my insurance covers most of it, just 50$ per veneer(replacement or new)

All though, I did always have a perfect set of teeth until college, got both front incisors cracked in an intramural football game.

The two I have are porcelin I think :confused:

Got them for free cause I was only 15 at the time, but for 2 I think they would have been near £1000 :confused: :confused:

Hurt a fair bit getting them done :evil:

well I only have two, but my insurance covers most of it, just 50$ per veneer(replacement or new)

All though, I did always have a perfect set of teeth until college, got both front incisors cracked in an intramural football game.

:eek: :eek: :eek: That is cheap!

aussie_leah said:
ouch that is expensive. Are they porcelain or white filling veneers? Mine are white filling veneers and cost me $AUS 1000 for six.

porcelain veneers.

but I don't think everyone in the US gets cheap veneer like myself, without good insurance it's bound to be a a couple hundred per veneer or 1000$ for a set.

Is this a p*iss take ??

Brits and bad teeth ??

Thats like saying 'Why are all Americans fat ba*stards' ??

or 'Why do Americans talk louder than everyone else' ??

Crazed said:
I've always wondered that stereotype about english people and bad teeth.. I never really noticed it but I've always wondered if that was true about some brits. I know it's not true for all, and probably just older people probably have that problem but whats the deal with that stereotype?

I've never heard of this stereotype and ofcourse it's not true! Just because you can afford to get your teeth whitened doesn't mean that you have good teeth. I didn't get my first filling until I was in my early 20s and I only have two now.

Ps British doesn't equal English by the way!!! :rolleyes:

I got elbowed in the face playing footy 2 years ago and it chipped a back tooth. I didn't go to the dentist until it recently started hurting and the white filling for it is costing £69. That's private fees cos they don't do white fillings with National health prices.
I was pleasantly surprised at this price. Thought I was looking at a lot more.

I have actually heard that sterotype before but its generally not true. Im Irish but live in london now and my English dentist told me that overall English people do tend to have more problems with their teeth than Irish patients she see and that is because in ireland they add flouride to the drinking water which is really good for your teeth......of course the flouride has other effects......it makes us all mad!!

comin' at ya said:
Is this a p*iss take ??

Brits and bad teeth ??

Thats like saying 'Why are all Americans fat ba*stards' ??

or 'Why do Americans talk louder than everyone else' ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

comin' at ya said:
Thats like saying (...) 'Why do Americans talk louder than everyone else' ??

but *too many* of them do! at least when in europe: in every single
youthhostel i ever visited troughout europe there was always
a loud american to be heard over everyone else... :-/

### barx

[
People from the Southern states in the USA all f*** their cousins, so i hear.... :rolleyes:

(that's Brit sarcasm by the way - whoops another tooth has fallen from by rotten gums)

Crazed - go fck yourself you pig ignorant twat.

MARKB said:
[
People from the Southern states in the USA all *beep* their cousins, so i hear.... :rolleyes:

(that's Brit sarcasm by the way - whoops another tooth has fallen from by rotten gums)

Crazed - go fck yourself you pig ignorant twat.

A bit harsh...but funkin funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well what do you know? Am curious about that as I have seen the bad teeth myself. And more than quite a few to conclude...too lazy to brush em? And I don't think it's cracked/chipped teeth he's referring to but more so, why the buildup (tartar)?

I never had my teeth whitened and most of us here don' t either. It's about $650 dollars to whiten teeth. Overall, even insurance does not cover for most repairs anyway. Don't know what insurance you are referring to. I had very good insurance at the Hedge Fund I used to work...still had to pay out of pocket. Premiums for both medical or dental are extremely high in America if you are not fully covered by our company (fortunately I was). Why do you think there are so many that don't have health insurance?! Point is, my teeth are white and I hardly go to the dentist...I just brush quite frequently.

All in all, I think it's more of a hygiene issue. Also, all about keepinp up appearanes here as well. I would not even narrow to only the UK but more so Europe. I have traveled quite a bit and have dared to ask several of my peeps and they do admit that they don't shower as much as we do. Even change of clothes... It all stems from the lack of water back in the day and also having communal baths. Water was also very expensive. It was not unusual to bathe in dirty water your whole family used. (Always open for other ppl's views)

As for the fatties stereotype in America...well the stypes come from some truth. Studies have shown over and over, we are the largest peeps in all of the world. Even when I am abroad, it's usually Americans that are hogging up two seats. LOL! Ok...let me stop being silly. But it's true. Just look around you...it's quite evident. And have to admit, have exprienced the loudness too! It's annoying. And have to add, rat packs...always traveling in packs of 5 or more! Why?!

Again, for both, the stereotypes do come from some truth so let's not deny. I'm American born but will admit what I see around me.

Hope this will spark ya all. Hee, hee.

Back