#Brexit

Because without specific trade deals if you drop your tariffs you have to do it for everyone, not a specific country. That risks cheap(er) goods from other countries flooding your country and vice versa.

Thus trade deals are good but many countries said we can't just copy and paste the ones we use as part of the EU. Most likely because they want us over a barrel and better terms, since we have less clout.

Also be interesting if city of London declared independence so as to get rid of the rest of the "sponging" country which take more than they pay in ?

Because without specific trade deals if you drop your tariffs you have to do it for everyone, not a specific country. That risks cheap(er) goods from other countries flooding your country and vice versa.

Thus trade deals are good but many countries said we can't just copy and paste the ones we use as part of the EU. Most likely because they want us over a barrel and better terms, since we have less clout.

Also be interesting if city of London declared independence so as to get rid of the rest of the "sponging" country which take more than they pay in ?
Well its these specific trade deals which should of been arranged as soon as we voted leave. But our mps are too full of themselves to give a shit

There are plenty of countries who want us to as a trade partner, not all will try to screw us. .

I would love London to declare independence. Full of snowflakes and gone to the dogs as our capital.

Throw the jocks & welsh in the independence bracket aswell ?

Haha if london did go independent then rest of the country would be screwed (services make up large % of our gdp)
As for deals yeah, but they take on average 7 or so years. Why? Well haggling with a car sales person is bad, imagine for a full country. And every country wants a deal good for them which means not so good for you... hence why they take an age. Plus when you reduce the market they can access there are less incentives to give you a good deal.

Also remember politicians don't run countries for the masses but those with power and wealth, that's real reason things never get better regardless of who's in charge or what they promised.
They'll make a good packet out of it anyhow. (Around 9 billion iirc for a group of leave campaigners)

Haha if london did go independent then rest of the country would be screwed (services make up large % of our gdp)
As for deals yeah, but they take on average 7 or so years. Why? Well haggling with a car sales person is bad, imagine for a full country. And every country wants a deal good for them which means not so good for you... hence why they take an age. Plus when you reduce the market they can access there are less incentives to give you a good deal.

Also remember politicians don't run countries for the masses but those with power and wealth, that's real reason things never get better regardless of who's in charge or what they promised.
They'll make a good packet out of it anyhow. (Around 9 billion iirc for a group of leave campaigners)
We'll be on a no deal anyway because the EU refuse to renegotiate. So whose to blame then? Her deal is garbage, surley your not happy with that?

The EU did negotiate and said here is what we offer. "Free" Access to our markets etc, no real cost (39 billion is for already agreed projects) so long as you stick to meeting the rules (so know goods meet standards and thus don't need to be inspected). The backstop is really a requirement of good Friday agreement and thus Ireland requiring it to exist.

Stick to EU rules until you come up with another deal so we don't have to inspect goods etc and thus no need for a hard border.

But we don't like it cause if we can't sort out better trade deals/arrangements we are stuck with it.

The EU are "happy" for us to go it alone, wto or whatever. Its us who don't really want that as it hurts our economy and potentially bankrupt us (national debt vs GDP goes over 100%).

And if we did go it alone we'd still need an equivalent of the backstop separately with Ireland to meet the good Friday agreement.

I work at place that does packaging stuff. Lots of customers changing their headquarters to in the EU so lots of work for us which is good. But regardless of what happens they won't be moving it back.

There is a saying: People who think there are simple solutions to complex problems probably don't understand the actual problem.

Its a no-win scenario.
No deal wto = hard border with Ireland-> breaks good Friday agreement

Deal stick with EU rules and no say = peeps saying we wanted to leave the EU but haven't.

The latter is what is proposed so membership with lower/No fees but without any say in how EU makes new rules.

Shitfest in a word.

My question is who politicians gonna blame next? gotta shift the blame, not their fault for running the country into the shitter lol

I get the impression if Rees-Mogg and Boris told the likes of Nostalgiac the sky was green, you could take them outside and look up and they'd still try and defend it.
Atleast they'd spell my username right. Are you Diane Abbott in disguise? Long live Boris

They raise tariffs, we raise tariffs. They need us more than we need them.

Prove to me what countries don't trade on WTO?

Yeah lets stay in a club where they say brexiteers have a special place in hell. The bloke is rumbled and scared of whats going to happen when Britain tells them au revoir
He was only talking about the ones with no plan.
Why are they all taking it so personally?
@mrjamesob

Thanks for the link. Now this info says the EU are trading with 24 countries on WTO so whats stopping us doing that with those other countries once we leave?
There is, according to that link, only one country in the world that trades solely on WTO terms. All of the others have trade deals of some sort, mostly with their closest trading partners. We will, overnight, be making anything we produce between 5% and 40% more expensive, it defies logic to suggest that this will not have a considerable impact on the competitiveness of British made goods and cost hundreds of thousands of jobs.

"They" are the other countries we would be trading with. Why would they hike up the tariffs knowing said country wants a trade deal with UK as easy as possible? Surley then the UK turns round to the country they are dealing with and says no drop your tariffs lower to what we can match and then we'll talk?
As I have already explained to you, no-one can "hike" tariffs up, they are automatically activated the moment we leave the EU - by legally binding international agreements. The can be lowered according to the rules I already told you, or by negotiating a trade deal, which takes years and they will not be as favourable as the ones we already enjoy via the EU. The reason being that as a market of 60M people and in a desperate situation we will be in a far weaker position to negotiate. Secondly, trade deals typically have clauses stating that if a better deal is offered to a third party that must also be offered to the EU - so if we were, by some miracle, able to negotiate a fantastic trade deal with Japan, it would be offered to the EU as well.

I would suggest listening to Jason Hunter, who has actually negotiated international trade deals , if you want to learn more about WTO and trade deals.

Well he ain't far off wrong comparing them to a soviet bloc. Just you wait till that EU army gets up and running. .
In what way is a democratically elected parliament like a Soviet bloc? We had a veto over the EU army and in any case we are already members of NATO, I don't see what the big difference would be.

Revealed: Brits WILL face mobile data roaming charges in a no-deal Brexit.
Govt has quietly slipped out new draft regulations.
@paulwaugh

Revealed: Brits WILL face mobile data roaming charges in a no-deal Brexit.
Govt has quietly slipped out new draft regulations.
@paulwaugh

Is it revealed? We knew this was coming.

Three users may be ok, they were doing roaming free before the EU law come to force, so it could be the same after.

There is, according to that link, only one country in the world that trades solely on WTO terms. All of the others have trade deals of some sort, mostly with their closest trading partners. We will, overnight, be making anything we produce between 5% and 40% more expensive, it defies logic to suggest that this will not have a considerable impact on the competitiveness of British made goods and cost hundreds of thousands of jobs.

As I have already explained to you, no-one can "hike" tariffs up, they are automatically activated the moment we leave the EU - by legally binding international agreements. The can be lowered according to the rules I already told you, or by negotiating a trade deal, which takes years and they will not be as favourable as the ones we already enjoy via the EU. The reason being that as a market of 60M people and in a desperate situation we will be in a far weaker position to negotiate. Secondly, trade deals typically have clauses stating that if a better deal is offered to a third party that must also be offered to the EU - so if we were, by some miracle, able to negotiate a fantastic trade deal with Japan, it would be offered to the EU as well.

I would suggest listening to Jason Hunter, who has actually negotiated international trade deals , if you want to learn more about WTO and trade deals.

In what way is a democratically elected parliament like a Soviet bloc? We had a veto over the EU army and in any case we are already members of NATO, I don't see what the big difference would be.
Are you on about the EU being democratically elected? They are elected by the people in the European Parliament. UK mps/people certainly didn't vote them in. This is one of the reasons why I dislike the EU. Even more so since we didn't have a vote to join up in the first place.

I am going to agree to disagree with you as my opinions won't change.

But this deal we've currently got and the way the EU are dealing with it saying no renegotiation, then no deal seems the only way. What possible other outcome is there?

I'm presuming most remainers on this topic are living in the UK? Would you be moving to a country in the EU then as you are so against Brexit?

Also, we have NATO so why would we need an EU army?

Within the lifetime of the EU, the UK is the only power to have had its territory attacked. Would the EU military defend the Falklands? Spain actually supports the Argentine claim there - would Spanish troops from an EU army be willing to lay down their lives for something their own Government doesn’t believe in? Hard to expect that. Not to mention Gibraltor aswell if that kicks off. .

Last edited:
I'm presuming most remainers on this forum are living in the UK? Would you be moving to a country in the EU, as you are so against Brexit?

If I was 10 years younger I would be seriously tempted. But then again, moving to a country in Europe will become a lot lot harder now - another disadvantage!

If I was 10 years younger I would be seriously tempted. But then again, moving to a country in Europe will become a lot lot harder now - another disadvantage!
I dont think it is a disadvantage. More checks and paperwork on people coming to live in a country can only be beneficial in the long run considering the amount of scum that have ventured into Europe quite easily and caused damage

Back