BPM festival expanding (brazil & portugal)

Really looking forward to seeing how this unfolds - Having attended the Mexican version some years ago, I'm really hoping the Portugal version brings the same vibe/energy!

Heading over next year will be a very strong option!

Considering the name BPM has built up and still bringing a strong lineup after the debacle that was Mexico this past year, I think this will do very well. My guess is a lot of the same people who made the trip over to Mexico will give this a shot minus a lot of Americans/Canadians (though im sure some will still travel). Vibe wise i think this year will be great because its still new and wont have grown to the mess that PDC Mexico eventually became. Only shame of it from my perspective is you were able to travel and party for 5 days in PDC for around $1000-1200 if you wanted to. That would just cover flights pretty much to Portugal, so not sure I will ever get to see this one live in front.

Thankfully, without sounding like 'one of those guys' I made it over to the Mexican version long before it became the circus it finished like.

Hoping to achieve the same with this version too if all the boxes get ticked! ... Only time will tell.

I'm also in Brazil for the latter part of January / early February next year -I'd be one very stoked man if that version dropped during my dates!

Dry day today after messy first night..o_O
Waterpark tomorrow 10am its pretty close.:) lots of chill Thursday action happening.
IMG_20170913_223418.jpg
IMG_20170913_223350.jpg as Well as some other stuff.. its my only day/evening:twisted: out...suits me perfect.no swedger as daughter will be with me, a sneaky toot or two should get it going..:twisted: mrs got 3types of #:eek: she happy out.:) will put pics up tomorrow. Wifi not the May West in, apts so have to go elsewhere.. all good though and cheap..

It was really great here.. mrs said I think we should only go to Ibiza out of season from now on.. I think I agree.. only went to one party but the whole vibe around was all like a day at sa trinxa:cool:.. im old enough to know it wont last but definitely put this on your calendar for next year.. the people were great,no trobbers.. my mrs attracts every kind of pleb possible when left alone, usually because she topless or the fact she'd skin up in a church given half the chance.. not once did we have to politely move on from anywhere.. found it hard to spend more than €120-150 a day and that was 2+2kids:) from looking at some djs twatters they all agree..

It was really great here.. mrs said I think we should only go to Ibiza out of season from now on.. I think I agree.. only went to one party but the whole vibe around was all like a day at sa trinxa:cool:.. im old enough to know it wont last but definitely put this on your calendar for next year.. the people were great,no trobbers.. my mrs attracts every kind of pleb possible when left alone, usually because she topless or the fact she'd skin up in a church given half the chance.. not once did we have to politely move on from anywhere.. found it hard to spend more than €120-150 a day and that was 2+2kids:) from looking at some djs twatters they all agree..

Have you ever been to BPM Mexico? If so, how did it compare?

How were the venues?
Did they have any outdoor venues that went all night?
When did the parties stop at night?
How was the availability of goodies on a scale from Saudi Arabia to Ibiza?

I had a friend go and he told me it wasn't as cheap as expected, inside the venues atleast? Saying it was closer to Ibiza prices with water being a tenner?!!

Think this could be an option next year! Whats the chances of it being extended past the 4 days as it was originally only going to be 2 IIRC

I dont think water was a tenner.. I only went to clouqe on Thursday, cant imagine it going on longer,why should it.. pints were 5€ at the big venues . Nice all round the beach area with little pop up place to chill and chat. Very different feel to ibiza, in a good way.. it all looked really good..

Have you ever been to BPM Mexico? If so, how did it compare?

How were the venues?
Did they have any outdoor venues that went all night?
When did the parties stop at night?
How was the availability of goodies on a scale from Saudi Arabia to Ibiza?

Can't compare to BPM Mexico as I never went but I just got back from the Portugal version so happy to answer your questions.

Outside venues:

NoSoloAqua - great beach venue based around an existing bar/restaurant. If you were facing the dj booth you had the sea on the right and the existing restaurant/apartments on the left. Reminded me of Bora Bora in the early days. 12pm-12am Thursday/Saturday/Sunday but stayed open to 4am (extended to 5am I heard) on Friday night. About a 10 min walk from centre of town

Blanco Beach - right next door to NoSoloAqua in a cordoned off area of the beach. 12pm-10pm Thursday/Sunday and 12pm-12am on Saturday

Cloque Bar - Lovely little venue further along the coast on the other side of Praia da Rocha. Had a small restaurant inside but the dance floor was on a raised area looking out to the sea. About a 10-15 min walk from centre of town. Open 4pm to 12am

Indoor venues in central Praia Da Rocha:

Katedral Disco - one of 2 existing discos. Small dance floor with smaller raised balconies on all sides. Open 10pm-5am

Ocean Club - almost next door to Katedral. Bigger dance floor with open roof terrace upstairs that looked out over ocean. Open 10pm-5am

Villa Marzinha - free venue off a side street facing Katedral. I really loved this bar. Small inside dance floor with outside courtyard with comfy chairs. Open 9pm-4am. Had a great few hours here on Sunday night.

Indoor venues in Parchal:

Centro de Congressos Do Arade. Basically a big congress centre with 3 clubbing rooms, 1 upstairs and 2 downstairs. More your typical warehouse type vibe. Reminded me of some of the ADE venues when they are put on at a Congress Centre. Personally I preferred the smaller more intimate venues which had a little more character but if you wanted a full-on night this was where to go. 15 mins (€10) in a cab from the Centre of Praia Da Rocha. Open 11am to 7am.

So you could easily party from midday to 7am if you moved around the venues and be outside clubbing until 4am on some nights.

Goodies - widely available in the clubs even more so than Ibiza.

Prices of drinks:

Note all bars were only accepting tokens (each worth €5)

Initially I was charged 1 token for a pint of beer at the beach venues but I did notice that this changed at the town venues to 1 token for a half litre of beer.

Long drink (€10) - standard spirits plus mixer (including red bull)

Long drink with premium spirits (€15)

Water (0.5l) - 5€

Security/Queues

For some of the busier nights at peak times there were some long queues (1 hour+). A lot of this was due to the security checks at the doors which were often very thorough. They said part of this was due to the terror attack in London over the weekend but I also think they were being especially careful after what happened in PDC earlier this year. However there was no doubt they were also looking for other things as well. You were usually asked to completely empty your pockets and they then checked everything very closely.

Atmosphere

Absolutely top-notch. Plenty of happy smiley faces everywhere. Very international crowd with a noticeable North American contingent. I saw very few posers/moody characters anywhere and I must say it was really refreshing. Had loads of chats with random people and the feedback was exclusively how much people were enjoying themselves. The location itself in fabulous with huge sandy beaches everywhere and being able to pop in and out of venues really was handy. You could take a break for a few hours and get some drinks at a local bar (which were amazingly good value) or get some food/change your clothes.

We were lucky enough to be based in the centre of Praia Da Rocha so could get to 6 of the 7 venues within 20 mins walk.

Downsides

It was cold at night (down to 11 degrees on Saturday night) so unless you were in the midst of a crowd dancing it did start to get uncomfortable. I don't think this temperature was typical of the time of year though so it might just have been bad luck.

Queuing was a pain at times so I hope they can improve this next year.

Overall, it was a great long weekend that reminded me a lot of Ibiza in the '90s. People who were there to enjoy the music with like-minded souls. I agree with Craig72 that it'll probably not last and will become a victim of its own success but for the moment, I'd definitely recommend it.

I would happily see out my final days at cloque..reminds me of early bhs and monkey bar kinda place..and you don't have to go at bpm time to enjoy some good nights..;)

Back