BPM Festival 2017 - yes or no?

How long before something like this happens in Ibiza

To provide some perspective here as someone who lives in North America...Mexico is absolutely ravaged by gang violence + drug cartels. There have been attacks in almost every major tourism area that the country has, and it is VERY palpable in nearby Cancun where you can't suntan with seeing armed police officers with AK's riding down the beach, or police convoys patrolling the streets after dark with all their lights on. Ibiza might have its fair share of petty crime - but we're talking about drug cartels who kidnap and kill children as well as seek out opportunities to terrorize tourists.

I haven't kept on it since late yesterday but would say that given it was mostly security + organizers targeted & killed in the attack, would say this has the makings of it.

In a New York Times article on the subject: "The shooting could put a dent in the robust tourism industry of the Yucatán, which has generally been less violent than many other places in Mexico, attracting millions of visitors to its white sand beaches and Mayan ruins."

I think banning the event from coming back to PDC is a strategic movement by the government to try and deflect any attention people would otherwise be giving to the safety issues in Mexico itself.

Jungle reminded me of benimussa park. Even though music on was packed there was still room to dance. The pricing was really good , think I paid 100 MEX for a beer, which is about £3. I know martina I got a hotdog, fries, and sauces for roughly the same price. Same price as a beer aswell 100 MEX.

If your all inclusive your quids in, if not local supermarket you can get a massive bottle of corona for 40 peso. Which is about £1.50!

That was my first thought when I walked in that it had the same feel as soon drinks were very cheap even vodka worked out around £6 it was only really in the day clubs that the bottle service was annoying at least the places we went happy to dance all night just useful to have a place to sit for a few minutes and could were we went unless you bought a bottle we tried a few bars and couldn't believe how cheap the drinks were £6 for a pint of vodka

Just stumbled upon this set from Solomun. . If anyone can ID this track 15 minutes in that would be great. He played it at bpm his +1 night

So just my general thoughts... This was my 4th year down there for BPM and in their sixth year they weren't nearly as popular as this festival became in last 2016 and 2017. Obviously you cant predict a shooting but in my opinion the whole vibe felt a little off this year. By mid week dealers seemed to be way more in your face and even to the point of insulting you in the streets at times if you continued to walk on from them as they approached you, so i couldn't even imagine what might have happened if you responded back negatively to them.

Generally i thought the first two days were actually the best, the Ants party was fantastic (Matthias Tanzmann tore the house down) and Better Lost than Stupid on Saturday at a super small venue in Salsanera was pretty special. Suara was pretty good, Solomun at Diynamic was massive as you'd expect, but the overall week itself i found to be my worst experience at BPM in general. I stayed at a fairly decent hotel (boutique spot as many in PDC are unless you stay further south in Playacar or at like the Thompson and they insisted on using a giant locked gate after 11pm due to what they said was precautionary based on rumblings in the street. Obviously again this can happen anywhere, but i would say things didnt feel quite right down in Playa. I think BPM had sort of outgrown PDC and maybe it is for the best they will move away from there, I'm not exactly sure how well they will bounce back from this as its a pretty big stain on the brand in general in my opinion, but with 2 festivals scheduled in Brazil and Portugal for 2017, i guess we will find out sooner than later. Things were always a little scattered in general down in PDC for BPM so im interested to see how they do elsewhere.

So just my general thoughts... This was my 4th year down there for BPM and in their sixth year they weren't nearly as popular as this festival became in last 2016 and 2017. Obviously you cant predict a shooting but in my opinion the whole vibe felt a little off this year. By mid week dealers seemed to be way more in your face and even to the point of insulting you in the streets at times if you continued to walk on from them as they approached you, so i couldn't even imagine what might have happened if you responded back negatively to them.

Generally i thought the first two days were actually the best, the Ants party was fantastic (Matthias Tanzmann tore the house down) and Better Lost than Stupid on Saturday at a super small venue in Salsanera was pretty special. Suara was pretty good, Solomun at Diynamic was massive as you'd expect, but the overall week itself i found to be my worst experience at BPM in general. I stayed at a fairly decent hotel (boutique spot as many in PDC are unless you stay further south in Playacar or at like the Thompson and they insisted on using a giant locked gate after 11pm due to what they said was precautionary based on rumblings in the street. Obviously again this can happen anywhere, but i would say things didnt feel quite right down in Playa. I think BPM had sort of outgrown PDC and maybe it is for the best they will move away from there, I'm not exactly sure how well they will bounce back from this as its a pretty big stain on the brand in general in my opinion, but with 2 festivals scheduled in Brazil and Portugal for 2017, i guess we will find out sooner than later. Things were always a little scattered in general down in PDC for BPM so im interested to see how they do elsewhere.

Yeah I feel like it was time to shake things up regardless of what happened. Many places they can switch to and start something new. Between moving locations and the bad headlines, the crowds should be better the next few years.

Yeah I feel like it was time to shake things up regardless of what happened. Many places they can switch to and start something new. Between moving locations and the bad headlines, the crowds should be better the next few years.
I hope they will carry it on, its one of the best clubbing expierances i've done. How was the organisation compared to previous years?

We got to knee deep in sound just after 1pm and they didnt open until 2.30, nobody seemed to know why. Same when we went to the jungle, got there an hour after it was meant to open and was still closed I would say it opened at about 11.30 that was for music on.

I hope they will carry it on, its one of the best clubbing expierances i've done. How was the organisation compared to previous years?

We got to knee deep in sound just after 1pm and they didnt open until 2.30, nobody seemed to know why. Same when we went to the jungle, got there an hour after it was meant to open and was still closed I would say it opened at about 11.30 that was for music on.

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't keep their flagship winter week going, but at a different location. Then you have the Brazil and Portugal spinoffs which are completely different.

In terms of partying, it pretty much blows away most other festivals, and even Ibiza.

Organization may have been worse this year, but it's always been a little off. It's Mexico and similar to Spain when it comes to start times and some other details.

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't keep their flagship winter week going, but at a different location. Then you have the Brazil and Portugal spinoffs which are completely different.

In terms of partying, it pretty much blows away most other festivals, and even Ibiza.

Organization may have been worse this year, but it's always been a little off. It's Mexico and similar to Spain when it comes to start times and some other details.

I would pretty much fully agree with this. The festival itself offered some pretty unique venues and experiences but organization in general was always a little bit messy whether it be start/end times, set times, etc. They may try and keep the flagship week in January but it'll be very difficult to find a comparable location with enough venues and be as cost effective. BPM had really made a home in Playa with employees living down there year round and purchasing local venues like what became Patio 8 for smaller low key parties. As far as i am concerned it'll almost be like starting over which may prove difficult.

It'll be interesting to hear how these events in Brazil and Portugal turn out if they do in fact both happen. I dont see nearly as many people from Canada or the States traveling to Brazil, so they'll have to draw big time from Brazil itself and South America which i think their price points will be a big determining factor on that.

not BPM itself, but tulum related - no day zero there this year. they are doing it elsewhere and do just a smaller event there on 12th jan. source damian lazarus facebook

on the other hand I am almost certain we'll soon get an announcement from woomoon re tulum...

damian´s message:

Following 5 amazing years of Day Zero in Tulum, Mexico we have decided to take a break and open a new exciting chapter in 2018.

The event was designed to celebrate the wonders of Mayan traditions and culture and now it is time for Day Zero to align itself with another time, another space, another dimension.
Look out for announcements in the near future.

And if you are still interested in heading to Tulum in the new year, I will be making a special, more intimate event on January 12th with more details to follow.

With much love, Damian & the Day Zero Family

I don't see nearly as many people from Canada or the States traveling to Brazil, so they'll have to draw big time from Brazil itself and South America which i think their price points will be a big determining factor on that.

They should just move the whole shebang to Cartagena. Sorted ;):twisted:

Back