Boycotting the clubs...

stuie

There has been a lot of people talking about boycotting the big clubs on here in the last couple of days because of all thats been going on.

A couple of points...

Firstly, we don't KNOW that the disco mafia is to blame for some of our fave places being closed down.

Secondly, who of you would seriously not attend your fave ibiza superclub when the line up is amazing out of protest? I'm sorry but not me!

So... :idea: it would be more effective if the DJ's boycotted the clubs. We'd have a reason not to be bothered we're not going and numbers would drop very rapidly.

But which DJs will give up their pay cheque :?: None.

So basically we can't do anything, we don't have the power to do anything and we never will. :twisted:

Opinions please ;)

I think its a good idea in theory, but in all honesty how many of us are going to fork out all that money to go to ibiza and then not go to any of the clubs? Particularly now so many other places have had their music licences taken off them it isn't going to leave a lot of choice in terms of dance music is it?

Also- the disco mafia aren't doing anything they haven't done before - Pin-up anyone?????

:confused: :rolleyes:

I think it's more to do with the government than the disco mafia.

Anyway, Ibiza isn't the only place in the world where clubs are run by dodgy people. If you were going to boycott everything that wasn't completely ethical then you'd be avoiding most things.

The Disco Mafia has tremendous influence on the island with the government and councils....it has been trying to close the smaller venues as long as I can remember....Jockey Club anyone... :evil: :evil:

What we could do is boycott one of the big 7 clubs to show them that their 'punters' have had enough....

I suggest Amnesia....spread the word....

Comrade Midlife x

u seem to be missing the bigger picture. the government don't want low income tourists, pill heads, drug dealers, hippies, hedonists etc and for this reason are attacking the likes of dc10 & bora bora. the club owners have a similar vision and have introduced a pricing structure which allows them to become increasingly elitist. the owner of pacha would rather see a middle aged, silver haired investment banker from new york spunkin' his $s on champagne than some brit kid who can barely afford the ents fee & a bottle of water... such peops are no longer wanted.

el divino & pacha are clear examples of clubs which are aiming for the upper quartile market and the change in clientele has already become evident. music laws have become much tighter, policing has become much more active & the general clean up is in full swing. go to the kingly club in marbella and u'll see the jet set/celebs eating foie gras & sipping on elaborate cocktails (not a gurn head in sight). welcome to pacha 2010.

Exactly Lee.

This is why I don't really like Pacha. They make it so blatent about the kind of clientele they want and unless you're spending megabucks on drink, they're not interested in you. Hence why you can now only sit on the rooftop terrace if you're buying drinks which I think is disgraceful considering how much they charge for entry (60 euros on the door for Pure Pacha!).

The best thing to do would be to write to the British consulate in Ibiza or tothe Ibizan authorities en masse.

If "our lot" could articulate a reasonable argument highlighting our representative economic influence upon the White Isle and our concern over the "monopolisation of the island's nightlife industry" we may at least know we're getting our point across.

But I'm washing me hair so i can't be arsed...

it will be interesting to see how the likes of amnesia & space react over the forthcoming years. they will need to fairly dynamic and proactive if they are to prosper in the new face of ibiza. a packed out terrace listening to deep prog, but little or no jacks available on the street... no chance! they'll either go the way of pacha/el divino or go under!

leecashin said:
u seem to be missing the bigger picture. the government don't want low income tourists, pill heads, drug dealers, hippies, hedonists etc and for this reason are attacking the likes of dc10 & bora bora.

Firstly I don't think that the government are stupid enough to ever think they would be able to move out the hippies.

Secondly low income tourists and pill heads keep hundreds of hotels and restaurants in business and thousands of the islands residents in employment.

leecashin said:
the club owners have a similar vision and have introduced a pricing structure which allows them to become increasingly elitist. the owner of pacha would rather see a middle aged, silver haired investment banker from new york spunkin' his $s on champagne than some brit kid who can barely afford the ents fee & a bottle of water... such peops are no longer wanted.

I disagree. The likes of Privilege and Space just wouldn't fill to capacity with this kind of customer. And Eden and Es Paradis definately aren't trying to get the elite crowd.

leecashin said:
el divino & pacha are clear examples of clubs which are aiming for the upper quartile market and the change in clientele has already become evident.

If Pacha wanted the upper quartile market so bad they would not have one of the UK's most commercial DJ's headlining every Friday. The same for El Divino - Hed Kandi and Defected punters not exactly the richest people on the island are they?

Clara said:
unless you're spending megabucks on drink, they're not interested in you.

this is the same in all clubs tho isn't it Clara. Privilege staff are rude, Eden have heaters on in August.

the difference is made by the promoters - Carl Cox makes the crowd feel like he cares if you are having a good time, as do Mike and Claire Manumission. The venues are all just interested in your money!

How do you lot come up with all this reasoning when none of you even lives there never mind being involved with the behind the scenes politics.

comin' at ya said:
How do you lot come up with all this reasoning when none of you even lives there never mind being involved with the behind the scenes politics.

Reading?

So what are you gonna do in the evening/nigh tif you arent going to the big clubs? The smaller venues will all have been shut down and bars cant play music after midnight.....

I just love reading all the ideas to sort out all the 'problems' e.t.c.

You lot go there once a year and the clubbing side is a tiny part of the place. I bet the locals are over the moon.

comin' at ya said:
I just love reading all the ideas to sort out all the 'problems' e.t.c.

You lot go there once a year and the clubbing side is a tiny part of the place. I bet the locals are over the moon.

Just having a discussion mate. It is quite a big deal anyway, even if you don't like the clubbing. Preventing venues for playing music during the day whilst others are allowed to do whatever they want at night isn't really on. I think we have to look at the wider picture here.

What else could they change? The fact that the go-ahead has been given to building hotels in previously protected areas is another shocking change.

Its not really a big deal.

World poverty is a big deal, global terrorism is a big deal.

Some bar in a small island in the med not being able to play the latest subliminal hit isnt.

comin' at ya said:
Its not really a big deal.

World poverty is a big deal, global terrorism is a big deal.

Some bar in a small island in the med not being able to play the latest subliminal hit isnt.

Freedom of speech and all that?

Anyway, what got your goat?

Back