Books about Ibiza?

Just remembered an old interview with Cesar de Melero and had to go to the McArchives to find it...

* In the 80s and 90s Ibiza was created by people from Ibiza. Some saw that it was beautiful and wanted part of the cake. The promoters got in and the night of Ibiza was spoiled. Before people would go out at night and listen the music at Ku, they weren't going to listen to a specific DJ.

* It also bothers me that Ibiza is associated only with "party, party, party" and with something dirty. When I first came it was a very esoteric, spiritual and telluric place. Arriving to Ibiza and getting into a club is to slap you. I don't know, go to Dalt Vila, discover its architecture and history.

[answering to the fact that some club owners defend that tourists continue coming to the island thanks to them] I would tell them to set up their clubs somewhere else, we would set up something more pretty here.

* In summer there's confusion about what is music from Ibiza because the promoters and DJs play their stuff. Is this music from Ibiza? I believe that the music from Ibiza is created by the ibicencos, those born or those who reside here.

*This star DJ that they've invented and that comes in a private jet... stop busting my balls.

*etc, etc... the whole interview is juicy but I don't have time for more translations!

[appeared in Prensa Pitiusa on august 2013]

Just remembered an old interview with Cesar de Melero and had to go to the McArchives to find it...

* In the 80s and 90s Ibiza was created by people from Ibiza. Some saw that it was beautiful and wanted part of the cake. The promoters got in and the night of Ibiza was spoiled. Before people would go out at night and listen the music at Ku, they weren't going to listen to a specific DJ.

* It also bothers me that Ibiza is associated only with "party, party, party" and with something dirty. When I first came it was a very esoteric, spiritual and telluric place. Arriving to Ibiza and getting into a club is to slap you. I don't know, go to Dalt Vila, discover its architecture and history.

[answering to the fact that some club owners defend that tourists continue coming to the island thanks to them] I would tell them to set up their clubs somewhere else, we would set up something more pretty here.

* In summer there's confusion about what is music from Ibiza because the promoters and DJs play their stuff. Is this music from Ibiza? I believe that the music from Ibiza is created by the ibicencos, those born or those who reside here.

*This star DJ that they've invented and that comes in a private jet... stop busting my balls.

*etc, etc... the whole interview is juicy but I don't have time for more translations!

[appeared in Prensa Pitiusa on august 2013]
A link in Spanish, por favor?

Here you have it...

If I see this : Was a long bad way from that was Ibiza was to this. Ok , money mattered at Ku or somewhere but they didnt touch the spirit.

If I see this : Was a long bad way from that was Ibiza was to this. Ok , money mattered at Ku or somewhere but they didnt touch the spirit.

I was talking to Cesar de Melero a while back, who lives near me - I suggested getting involved on here but sounded like he keeps a distance from the IBZ scene these days.

Pikes still has it (on the right night!) Also Malanga - top tunes, local crowd, real characters. I think people were telling me Malanga is the 'new Aura' as a regular hangout. the spirit is still there (in pockets..)

I was talking to Cesar de Melero a while back, who lives near me - I suggested getting involved on here but sounded like he keeps a distance from the IBZ scene these days.

Pikes still has it (on the right night!) Also Malanga - top tunes, local crowd, real characters. I think people were telling me Malanga is the 'new Aura' as a regular hangout. the spirit is still there (in pockets..)

Found it at Heart sometimes , too. Sometimes also at Solomun or Dixon. Nice evenings , sure. But the spirit is at pikes or malanga as you say.

Last edited:
mine arrived yesterday. great read. I love the fact Dr Rob (a legend btw) conducted all the interviews from his home in the middle of the Japanese countryside

for balearo-nerds and forum Spanish speakers, a new book is coming out in the summer (published by Contra). I got to know Luis recently. Great DJ, anglophile & a writer with a lot of knowledge. I've no idea if it will get translated, I'm afraid. Christian does the Homies parties at Pikes. He's a very good writer too.

BALEARIC. HISTORIA ORAL DE LA CULTURA DE CLUB EN IBIZA, de Luis Costa y Christian Len, a la venta en Junio de 2020. ?

Luis Costa, periodista y DJ, y autor de ¡BACALAO!, junto al DJ y dinamizador cultural Christian Len, aborda, a partir del relato en primera persona de sus protagonistas, la historia de una de las mecas más fascinantes de la cultura de club: Ibiza. Por primera vez, y a partir del testimonio de DJ de fama internacional, dueños y promoteres de discotecas míticas como Pacha Ibiza, Ku, Space Ibiza o el mítico Café del Mar, se da cuenta de la fascinante historia de una isla que, a finales de los sesenta, acogió a un selecto grupo de hippies, como el grupo británico Pink Floyd, que encontraron un paraíso de libertad y amor, y cimentaron el vínculo de la isla con la música que, en la década de los ochenta, viviría el auge de la cultura de club y la irrupción de un particularísimo estilo musical que se dio a conocer como «balearic» que trascendió ampliamente las fronteras de la isla hasta convertirla en uno de los destinos de ocio y hedonismo más anhelados del planeta.

Last edited:
Have you seen this?
Very expensive though, I did not know there was an album like this.

for balearo-nerds and forum Spanish speakers, a new book is coming out in the summer (published by Contra). I got to know Luis recently. Great DJ, anglophile & a writer with a lot of knowledge. I've no idea if it will get translated, I'm afraid. Christian does the Homies parties at Pikes. He's a very good writer too.

BALEARIC. HISTORIA ORAL DE LA CULTURA DE CLUB EN IBIZA, de Luis Costa y Christian Len, a la venta en Junio de 2020. ?

Luis Costa, periodista y DJ, y autor de ¡BACALAO!, junto al DJ y dinamizador cultural Christian Len, aborda, a partir del relato en primera persona de sus protagonistas, la historia de una de las mecas más fascinantes de la cultura de club: Ibiza. Por primera vez, y a partir del testimonio de DJ de fama internacional, dueños y promoteres de discotecas míticas como Pacha Ibiza, Ku, Space Ibiza o el mítico Café del Mar, se da cuenta de la fascinante historia de una isla que, a finales de los sesenta, acogió a un selecto grupo de hippies, como el grupo británico Pink Floyd, que encontraron un paraíso de libertad y amor, y cimentaron el vínculo de la isla con la música que, en la década de los ochenta, viviría el auge de la cultura de club y la irrupción de un particularísimo estilo musical que se dio a conocer como «balearic» que trascendió ampliamente las fronteras de la isla hasta convertirla en uno de los destinos de ocio y hedonismo más anhelados del planeta.

finally out now >

finally out now >

Received my copy yesterday. Skimming through it's loosely chronological. A series of interviews (structured by quotes) with all the major players, including a one-time leading forum member! They conducted nearly 80 interviews across about 600 pages with some great pictures. Looks like a few people including Tong, Solomun and the Manumission lot declined to be interviewed though for various reasons. Sven too, although Johannes spoke on behalf of Cocoon. The authors said on instag that they're hoping to get an English lang edition out so keep an eye out for that.

Back