Blood Donation - anyone?

WeLuvIbiza

I donated a pint last week for the first time. I don't like the sight of blood and needles make me :eek::eek: but decided to be brave :lol:

Had a free coffee & biscuits whilst waiting, all went well, the pint flew out. Sat up and felt sick as a dog:cry: Then proceeded to feel a right pillock as the nurse layed me down and applied an ice pack to my head:oops::oops:

Another 9 donations until my bronze card :lol:

I donated a pint last week for the first time. I don't like the sight of blood and needles make me :eek::eek: but decided to be brave :lol:

Had a free coffee & biscuits whilst waiting, all went well, the pint flew out. Sat up and felt sick as a dog:cry: Then proceeded to feel a right pillock as the nurse layed me down and applied an ice pack to my head:oops::oops:

Another 9 donations until my bronze card :lol:

I have your syndrome. I am dreading the day I have to have a blood test. :oops:

I regularly give blood. I don't really mind needles and I like the thought of doing something to help! Plus its an excuse to gorge yourself on biscuits and crisps afterwards :)

I would love to help but until I have that first blood test which I really am dreading, then I can suss out how weak I really am :cry::lol:

Do they do a blood check first? I mean obvious blood disease etc goes without saying, but what about other things.... :oops:

First of all they do an iron test, which is known as a "finger pr1ck" test - i.e they jab a small pin into your finger and squeeze out a drop of blood, which they test.
Then if your iron levels are sufficient they take the pint out, which is done with a proper needle lying on a bed etc.
You have to fill in a questionnaire first, about your travel history, sexual history, health history etc etc. You can't give blood for various reasons. They don't ask about "other stuff" ;) and I've never said, so I'm presuming that isnt a cause not to donate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they do a blood check first? I mean obvious blood disease etc goes without saying, but what about other things.... :oops:

lol

There is a comprehensive questionaire to be filled in which covers questions about injecting recreational drugs within the past 12 months etc. No mention of tests for anything other than hiv et al.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the most humiliating times of my life was the first time i gave blood.

sitting all cool, with the thing in my arm, felt we were doing well. i was sent to the snack area after and wandered over for a free biscuit. only i didn't wander; i collapsed in a heap on the floor. the nurse then proceeded to erect a tent around me and put me on some sort of fishing type chair/bed.i had to stay there for 30 minutes feeling like a right noob drinking robinsons and eating digestives like a school boy who's lost his mum. the shame.

i'm over it now though. get plenty of sugar in you before you go and you won't have a problem.

My dad gave it for years, the last few times he did feel a bit faint and his colleague who went with him also did faint but he ended up being told he was anaemic - not enough iron so he couldnt give any anymore.

My friend now gives it, she said she had a dicky moment but she feels glad she does it. :lol:

I think it's great when people donate blood as so many family/friends I know have needed it. I'm not allowed to give blood tho as I had a blood tranfusion when I was younger and that's one of the criteria that bans you from giving blood :confused:

I think it's great when people donate blood as so many family/friends I know have needed it. I'm not allowed to give blood tho as I had a blood tranfusion when I was younger and that's one of the criteria that bans you from giving blood :confused:

My mum is the same, she had a transfusion after having me :lol:

sitting all cool, with the thing in my arm, felt we were doing well. i was sent to the snack area after and wandered over for a free biscuit. only i didn't wander; i collapsed in a heap on the floor. the nurse then proceeded to erect a tent around me and put me on some sort of fishing type chair/bed.i had to stay there for 30 minutes feeling like a right noob drinking robinsons and eating digestives like a school boy who's lost his mum. the shame.

i'm over it now though. get plenty of sugar in you before you go and you won't have a problem.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was suprised to learn only 5% of the eligible population give blood. It's such a simple excercise yet a great feel good factor afterwards.

:lol: That gave me a much needed laugh.

I find its like a test of endurance... whether you can make it from the bed to the biscuit section without fainting. I've sometimes felt a bit dizzy afterwards, I practically launch myself into the biscuit tin to get my sugar levels back up :lol:

That has just made me laugh out loud!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The only thing that's put me off (apart from the tests) is my mate gives blood regularly and the last time she gave blood - her arm looked like it had been through a mangle LoL - bruised to buggery :eek:

I think I will go and give blood..... it could be my thing for 08. I carry a donor card so I am "sort of" thoughtful........

First of all they do an iron test, which is known as a "finger pr1ck" test

yes, that will be the bit where I passed out!!! :oops:

never again!!!

I'd love to give blood but cant, coz im diabetic.
I also read somewhere that if you like to indulge in..shall we say recreational naughtyness then your blood is absolutely no good to them either.

I'm not allowed to until a year after giving birth. (Jan) hopefully I'll be able to, I lost a few pints in labour and it depends if my iron stores are good enough.

It's such an amazing thing to do. When my Dad had cancer, the amount of tranfusions he needed was unbelievable.....I couldn't stop thinking about how whoever went and gave blood was literally saving my lovely Dads life, and giving us all more time together.

I'd love to give blood but cant, coz im diabetic.
I also read somewhere that if you like to indulge in..shall we say recreational naughtyness then your blood is absolutely no good to them either.

That's totally wrong. If you have ever injected drugs you cannot donate blood. But recreational use of drugs doesn't affect whether you can donate or not. As long as you aren't high as a kite when yuo donate, you should be fine.

Like certain other drugs people take wont affect their donation: contraceptives, prescribed medications etc.

Back