Blood Donation - anyone?

I'd love to give blood but cant, coz im diabetic.
I also read somewhere that if you like to indulge in..shall we say recreational naughtyness then your blood is absolutely no good to them either.

That's totally wrong. If you have ever injected drugs you cannot donate blood. But recreational use of drugs doesn't affect whether you can donate or not. As long as you aren't high as a kite when yuo donate, you should be fine.

Like certain other drugs people take wont affect their donation: contraceptives, prescribed medications etc.

I'm far from an expert after one pint but would have to agree with Beckiboo. They give lots of literature to read through about blood donation and no mention of recreational drug use. If that were the case that any previous recreational drug use made blood donation invalid, it would surely preclude all smokers as nicotine is a terrible drug.

That's totally wrong. If you have ever injected drugs you cannot donate blood. But recreational use of drugs doesn't affect whether you can donate or not. As long as you aren't high as a kite when yuo donate, you should be fine.

Like certain other drugs people take wont affect their donation: contraceptives, prescribed medications etc.

also the reason you can not give after intravenous use is due to the risk of HIV, hep etc etc - rather than being related to the scag itself.

i went & gave for the aids test. easier than making an appointment with the GU.

Been giving blood since I was allowed to, 16/18 and almost always feel very faint afterwards. Apparently, some people are just like it. I can eat 15 Mars bars before hand and suffer the same problem. I occasionally faint too but thats cool, like the best drug ever when you wake up. It's like an occupational hazard, you get over it. We should all give blood !!

Right - on the back of this thread and posts - I have finally decided to bite the bullet and have registered to be a blood donor for the first time.... 12th November it is - at 10.00am

bricking it!!!!!!! - eeeeeek! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wehey:lol:

Wd PL.

After the first time, you will already be looking forward to the next, it's a brilliant feeling of having done something small that might do something big :)

Good luck, and can we have a full report after?

1) What free beverage & snack.

2) Quality of nursing staff (out of 10).

etc etc :) :) :)

When I was a student I used to love it because you can get pissed much quicker ( cheaper ) afterwards so I was bang on it. But seriously, it's so easy, doesn't hurt and gives you, let's not say that warm feeling inside but just a feeling of superiority that you are better human being than everyone else that doesn't do it. :lol::lol:

cheers guys - just worried about flaking out and looking a t*t to be honest....

and now I have found out what they test you for - I am feeling quietly confident that the rozzers wont be kicking my door down to arrest me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know this may sound a bit mad but im afraid of needles ever since i seen a junkie as a kid inject themselves with heroin and blood coming out of their badly bruised and swolen arm:eek:

Back