Barbie and Tom - Some News

Barbie

So me and Tom have a 2 weeks holiday booked to Thailand leaving on Boxing Day and back mid January........

Slight change of plan.......

We're changing our flights to leave mid February.........and not coming back for 6 months!!

We're going to rent our house out for 6 months (fortunately we only have a small mortgage so we'll get a nice income thru letting it out and we can let it out thru Tom's estate agency), the doggies are going to stay with my parents (we'll miss them so much :cry: but they completely love it up there so they probably won't miss us at all :lol:), I freelance so my job is irrelevant and I can just pick up where I left when I get back, Tom has been working really hard but the estate agent market is tough at the moment and probably won't get any easier over the next few months so he's going to hand his notice in - they may say he can come back but if not he'll go to another agent or try something different, we'll cross that bridge when we get back. Even tho we're both really close to our familes, I've recently lost my Gran who was like another Mum to me and touch wood both our Grandad's are still relatively well and healthy.

So altho there's never a 'good' time to go off, now seems as good a time as any :D

So the plan is leave February 14th and return August 14th - we know we defiitely want to do Asia so Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India etc etc.

Veryveryvery excited but also completely $hitting myself but the idea of just me and Tom getting away for 6 months from the rat race sounds so appealing and will do me the world of good cos I'm realising that you don't need 5486043523 Top Shop dresses, 48532 nail varnishes and 52520 lipglosses in life :lol:

EEEEEEEEEK :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

So me and Tom have a 2 weeks holiday booked to Thailand leaving on Boxing Day and back mid January........

Slight change of plan.......

We're changing our flights to leave mid February.........and not coming back for 6 months!!

We're going to rent our house out for 6 months (fortunately we only have a small mortgage so we'll get a nice income thru letting it out and we can let it out thru Tom's estate agency), the doggies are going to stay with my parents (we'll miss them so much :cry: but they completely love it up there so they probably won't miss us at all :lol:), I freelance so my job is irrelevant and I can just pick up where I left when I get back, Tom has been working really hard but the estate agent market is tough at the moment and probably won't get any easier over the next few months so he's going to hand his notice in - they may say he can come back but if not he'll go to another agent or try something different, we'll cross that bridge when we get back. Even tho we're both really close to our familes, I've recently lost my Gran who was like another Mum to me and touch wood both our Grandad's are still relatively well and healthy.

So altho there's never a 'good' time to go off, now seems as good a time as any :D

So the plan is leave February 14th and return August 14th - we know we defiitely want to do Asia so Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India etc etc.

Veryveryvery excited but also completely $hitting myself but the idea of just me and Tom getting away for 6 months from the rat race sounds so appealing and will do me the world of good cos I'm realising that you don't need 5486043523 Top Shop dresses, 48532 nail varnishes and 52520 lipglosses in life :lol:

EEEEEEEEEK :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

good luck to you both, stock up on mac at the duty free on the way out :D

I trust that you have phoned Asia already to warn them :lol:;)

Have a fantabulous time, i'm sure it will be life changing

Good on you both!!!

You'll have a fantastic time!

Time for our diplomats to earn their salaries :lol:

That is such exciting news!! :) :) soo happy to hear that!

I agree, people can put off traveling and say things like, "I'll do it later, when I have more money' or "I'll do it after I've bought this or that' but people keep waiting and waiting and then something happens that you never do it.

Your 'stuff' can always get stolen, or it can get old and brken, but no one can ever take away your memories or experiences...(well ...maybe a week or two in ibiza will do that!! :lol:)

Whenever I hear of people traveling in SE Asia I always recommend the Philipinnes as well, especially the north of the country and then some of the islands, Boracay etc... often people skip out on that and I really enjoyed myself there.

Can't wait to see all your photos and hear about your experiences! Are you planning on roughing it at all or doing it in style?? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one ! My first trip was similar and it turned my life upside down! You gonna have the time of your life ! Especially India ( Varanasi!)is gonna be an eye opener. Be prepared for the dirt chica :twisted: ! Enjoy !

Time for our diplomats to earn their salaries :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Great move, Babs. Very happy for you and Tom.

I've had similar thoughts floating through my head for a while. Perhaps I'll see you somewhere out there on the trail.

well done sar and tom, very happy for you both. :D:D:D:D:D

gotta love the fcuk the rat race, choose life spirit! may you both inspire others to do what they want rather than what they have to.

i'm in london at the end of jan, i'll come say hello/goodbye and you can tell me all about it. (no doubt for the millionth time by then) ;):D8)

Thanks everyone :D We're veering between moments of 'OMG wtf are we doing' :eek::lol: to 'OMG this is the most exciting project ever that we're going to embark on' :lol:

Whenever I hear of people traveling in SE Asia I always recommend the Philipinnes as well, especially the north of the country and then some of the islands, Boracay etc... often people skip out on that and I really enjoyed myself there.

Can't wait to see all your photos and hear about your experiences! Are you planning on roughing it at all or doing it in style?? :lol:

Meryl I shall have 527245 questions for you before we go so thanks for the Philipinnes tip, any advice greatfully received :lol:

We don't see the point in going to all these places if we're not going to do them 'properly' (ie there's no point booking into nice hotels all the time), on the other hand we're 32 and 31 so we don't want to be sharing a room with 25 other travellers so we're doing the basic-ish route but not 'that' basic :lol:

Ahh fabulous news, I am so happy for you.

Love your fcuk it lets just do it attitude as well, very inspiring ;)

I agree with the topshop/lipglosses/make up scenario, I look at my wardrobe and think is this all I have to show for myself? :eek::lol:

Thanks everyone :D We're veering between moments of 'OMG wtf are we doing' :eek::lol: to 'OMG this is the most exciting project ever that we're going to embark on' :lol:

Meryl I shall have 527245 questions for you before we go so thanks for the Philipinnes tip, any advice greatfully received :lol:

We don't see the point in going to all these places if we're not going to do them 'properly' (ie there's no point booking into nice hotels all the time), on the other hand we're 32 and 31 so we don't want to be sharing a room with 25 other travellers so we're doing the basic-ish route but not 'that' basic :lol:

I bet you can't wait!! When I was traveled in SE Asia, as many others here have, you can still get lots of cheap accomodation without sharing... sometimes hot water too! ;)

Are you just sticking with SE Asia and India?

I bet you can't wait!! When I was traveled in SE Asia, as many others here have, you can still get lots of cheap accomodation without sharing... sometimes hot water too! ;)

Are you just sticking with SE Asia and India?

Well I'm such a skanky old ho that as long as I have dry shampoo I'm fine :lol:

I think just SE Asia and India - that seems like a big enough project in itself for us to get our head round :oops::lol:

Well I'm such a skanky old ho that as long as I have dry shampoo I'm fine :lol:

I think just SE Asia and India - that seems like a big enough project in itself for us to get our head round :oops::lol:

or you could just not shower at all.. I think after 10 days you clean yourself out ... so I've heard..:lol:

You must be soooooo excited with all your planning! I always like to be planning for big looooong holidays!

I hope you plan your route carefully because you're going to be in Asia for the hottest, driest period of the year, and then the monsoon season.

or you could just not shower at all.. I think after 10 days you clean yourself out ... so I've heard..:lol:

You must be soooooo excited with all your planning! I always like to be planning for big looooong holidays!

It certainly beats planning for a 2 week holiday to Ibiza :lol: There's just so much to think of, even planning a rough route is a minefield cos certain areas we need to avoid at certain times :lol: Oh well I'm sure it will all come together :?:lol:

Back