Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

And possibly the only Welsh-Brazilian fusion in existence! Phil and Moonboots were both raving about him last year.
Not all of it is to my taste, but that’s the fun of the virtual “dig” I suppose. I think I’ve got a decent ear for a tune, could be wrong?

Not all of it is to my taste, but that’s the fun of the virtual “dig” I suppose. I think I’ve got a decent ear for a tune, could be wrong?

all subjective innit... I just gravitate to people whose tastes I usually overlap with, and in my case it's usually moody, misanthropic bearded anoraks of advanced years

Yes should be available later. Premiered last night in Dublin apparently. It’ll be a tough but joyous watch no doubt.

yep. Looking back I don't think I'd ever seen a reaction like that before in the music world. I read so many obits from people from all over the place and I think it affected people in ways they couldn't quite grasp - felt like more than just losing a renegade pioneer everyone had grown up with. Some of the alfos diehards are a bit 'culty' about it all, which is not me at all, much as I admired him but I do get the emotion though. For me it was as much about the appeal of family, community, musical curiosity, so missing in the corporate dance world, that throwback to the old days, planning meet ups and reunions all over Europe. One of the more unexpected outcomes for me personally is that I made new friends in Spain with some of his hardcore fans and it really galvanised and inspired all these little scenes influenced by electro, darkwave, synth, dub, slo-mo, chuggy stuff and all the rest. We just booked tix to go to NOUS again this Sept near Biarritz, which was really good last year (they have Rodion and Ivan Smagghe playing) and the whole thing is loosely based on Convenanza whilst the actual Convenanza are confirming details soon, although I dunno if they should let it lie and try something new?

Last edited:
yep. Looking back I don't think I'd ever seen a reaction like that before in the music world. I read so many obits from people from all over the place and I think it affected people in ways they couldn't quite grasp - felt like more than just losing a renegade pioneer everyone had grown up with. Some of the alfos diehards are a bit 'culty' about it all, which is not me at all, much as I admired him but I do get the emotion though. For me it was as much about the appeal of family, community, musical curiosity, so missing in the corporate dance world, that throwback to the old days, planning meet ups and reunions all over Europe. One of the more unexpected outcomes for me personally is that I made new friends in Spain with some of his hardcore fans and it really galvanised and inspired all these little scenes influenced by electro, darkwave, synth, dub, slo-mo, chuggy stuff and all the rest. We just booked tix to go to NOUS again this Sept near Biarritz, which was really good last year (they have Rodion and Ivan Smagghe playing) and the whole thing is loosely based on Convenanza whilst the actual Convenanza are confirming details soon, although I dunno if they should let it lie and try something new?
I definitely struggled with it. I had seen him play pretty much at least once a year for 24 years since I was 20. He played Belfast at a time when many others still weren't quite ready to make the trip over (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ave-united-belfast-david-holmes-iain-mccready) My experience began with him finishing off with the menacing Bandulu - Crisis A Gwarn at one of those seminal Art College nights in Belfast with David Holmes and ended at one of the always packed ALFOS "never knowingly exceeding 122bpm" nights with Sean a few years ago.

Those latter nights are summed up in this brief clip by Lovefingers posted at the time of his death. I can never make it to the end without losing it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8s13BLAYVz/

Then throughout those years in between we had the privilege to see him in festivals, tiny bars, arts venues, theatres, retro social clubs... Every night was an experience. Unforgettable. I never made it to Convenanza. Either Ibiza or Glastonbury or both always cleaned me out come late summer. Friends did and their stories are incredible. It'll be interesting to see what happens next with it. He certainly opened people's minds to stuff you would never have discovered without his guidance whether on the dance floor, through his words (a turn of phrase and wit like no other) though the acts at the festival or via his radio shows. I wasn't expecting to write anything today on it so I'm off the cuff here and probably littering the place with typos, but once you get going it's hard to stop. A hero. A huge part of my life gone, but I'm honoured to have had it and I look forward to experiencing the ALFOS spirit with Sean this year and every year again, while we still can.

Posting this again from a very special night here in 2012. Andrew and Sean for 4 hours with 150 ish people in attendance - full house. (pic courtesy of Belfast Music Club) https://www.mixcloud.com/HardwayBros/alfos-belfast-music-club-august-2012/

AW.jpeg

I definitely struggled with it. I had seen him play pretty much at least once a year for 24 years since I was 20. He played Belfast at a time when many others still weren't quite ready to make the trip over (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ave-united-belfast-david-holmes-iain-mccready) My experience began with him finishing off with the menacing Bandulu - Crisis A Gwarn at one of those seminal Art College nights in Belfast with David Holmes and ended at one of the always packed ALFOS "never knowingly exceeding 122bpm" nights with Sean a few years ago.

Those latter nights are summed up in this brief clip by Lovefingers posted at the time of his death. I can never make it to the end without losing it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8s13BLAYVz/

Then throughout those years in between we had the privilege to see him in festivals, tiny bars, arts venues, theatres, retro social clubs... Every night was an experience. Unforgettable. I never made it to Convenanza. Either Ibiza or Glastonbury or both always cleaned me out come late summer. Friends did and their stories are incredible. It'll be interesting to see what happens next with it. He certainly opened people's minds to stuff you would never have discovered without his guidance whether on the dance floor, through his words (a turn of phrase and wit like no other) though the acts at the festival or via his radio shows. I wasn't expecting to write anything today on it so I'm off the cuff here and probably littering the place with typos, but once you get going it's hard to stop. A hero. A huge part of my life gone, but I'm honoured to have had it and I look forward to experiencing the ALFOS spirit with Sean this year and every year again, while we still can.

Posting this again from a very special night here in 2012. Andrew and Sean for 4 hours with 150 ish people in attendance - full house. (pic courtesy of Belfast Music Club) https://www.mixcloud.com/HardwayBros/alfos-belfast-music-club-august-2012/

View attachment 13243

top post. will have a listen later. IIRC that would have been shortly after they teamed up. I was going to their Thursday night in London around the same time so I'm sure I'll recognise a few! :)

Back