Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

Been going through the backcatalogue of the Archeo Recordings label.
Some truly breathtaking reissues and remixes in there.
Unfortunately vinyl-only.
Few pickings:

Blindboy - I Dream (Joe Morris 'Wolves Of Asha' Mix)

Tony Esposito - Rosso Napoletano (Mushrooms Project 2018 Rework)

Biggest surprise was this double LP from flutist Roberto Aglieri

Bless you tourist

the original Blindboy isn't too bad either. on the right system, sounded absolutely amazing. not heard in years though (and in Spain never :confused: )

as for the mushies, this is first degree deadly

Don't mind the name tags. Balearic isn't synonymous with massage parlor music.

On the same page with Bill & Frank when it comes to that, more specifically page 375:

The Balearic spirit is a willingness to try anything in the service of your dancefloor. Forget music snobbery, an artist's credibility is irrelevant. Forget the division of different genres, and the obsession with newness, you can even sometimes ignore the correct speed of a record. The established rules of DJing need not apply. All that matters is the power and beauty of each song in the context you place it. Named after the Mediterranean archipelago which contains Ibiza, and originally referring to the music of lbiza's DJ Alfredo, 'Balearic' implies a musical openness, an anything is possible attitude. lt was often born of necessity - the need to stretch a limited number of records to fill long summer nights - but it taught an important lesson to any DJ who treated music with too much reverence.

Balearic is 'Flesh' by A Split Second played at the wrong speed to turn it from gothic industrial to deep proto-house; it's the indie guitar mash of The Woodentops energising glamorous queens in the open air at Amnesia; or trippy Klaus Schulze records washing over kids zonked out on heroin by the side of a gorgeous Italian lake. Balearic invokes the holiday defencelessness you get from warm sand between your toes and a horizon of sparkling waves. lmportantly, Balearic is an attitude to music more than a specific style or location. Or, as dance music writer frank Tope quipped: 'It's pop music that sounds good on pills.'

This is balearic

So is this

So is this
What book is this quoted from? I fancy a read

I did actually hear this in IBZ somewhere the other week.

not exactly subtle but boy does it work. Bager's label strikes again

and certainly a much classier version than that Mark Knight/Funkagenda sonic abortion a few years back

I did actually hear this in IBZ somewhere the other week.

not exactly subtle but boy does it work. Bager's label strikes again

and certainly a much classier version than that Mark Knight/Funkagenda sonic abortion a few years back

Interesting. I wonder if Mark Knight and Funkagenda had released this exact version, also on Bager's label, if we would deem it acceptable or sacrilegious.

Interesting. I wonder if Mark Knight and Funkagenda had released this exact version, also on Bager's label, if we would deem it acceptable or sacrilegious.

whilst generally snobby/prejudiced I will give everyone a fair crack of the whip if they promise something decent, with the right collaborators. I thought Blank & Jones for instance was just cheesy trance but some their downtempo stuff isn't too shabby. I had another listen to that MK/Funkagenda earlier and it was every bit as shit I remembered. Could not imagine Bager licensing something like that tbh

whilst generally snobby/prejudiced I will give everyone a fair crack of the whip if they promise something decent, with the right collaborators. I thought Blank & Jones for instance was just cheesy trance but some their downtempo stuff isn't too shabby. I had another listen to that MK/Funkagenda earlier and it was every bit as shit I remembered. Could not imagine Bager licensing something like that tbh
Oh aye not saying that, it was shite and unnecessary, just wonder if we would have the same reaction had they released this version. Also really like Blank and Jones.

Oh aye not saying that, it was shite and unnecessary, just wonder if we would have the same reaction had they released this version. Also really like Blank and Jones.

For real. I had a celestial, transcendental 'momemt' to a blank & jones remix of the pet shop boys 'love comes quickly' one year in a field in Wiltshire, whilst sat on a haystack next to a ketamine dealer in a poncho. A lifetime ago yet weirdly remember every detail.

nice selection from Woolfy who I'm a big fan of.

well worth following the dream chimney too

Just a bit jealous

Back