Around Ibiza on a Budget

In contrast to the OP, i'm sure many a poster has paid handsomely for a hotel for a few nights and not slept, in or out of it (the room, I mean)!

Still kills me :lol::lol:

wonder where he is now.. still wandering around hallucinating about bottom-pinching Italians?

seeing as everyone's about to get very skint, maybe Ibizan beaches will resemble dormitories this summer :lol: pretty sure there was another thread where someone did just that

wonder where he is now.. still wandering around hallucinating about bottom-pinching Italians?

seeing as everyone's about to get very skint, maybe Ibizan beaches will resemble dormitories this summer :lol: pretty sure there was another thread where someone did just that
I don't think camping on a beach is allowed (is it??) but anyway, there are very few camp sites on Ibiza as far as I know, maybe an opportunity for land-owners to make a few bob on the side? With most flying into Ibiza and therefore stuck with baggage limits, the tents would have to be already there I suppose.
Although with the develpoment of "boutique" *spews vomit* hotels (instead of those lovely quaint hostals), no doubt any new camps sites would be "glamping" for those extra euros/night for very little.

I don't think camping on a beach is allowed (is it??) but anyway, there are very few camp sites on Ibiza as far as I know, maybe an opportunity for land-owners to make a few bob on the side? With most flying into Ibiza and therefore stuck with baggage limits, the tents would have to be already there I suppose.
Although with the develpoment of "boutique" *spews vomit* hotels (instead of those lovely quaint hostals), no doubt any new camps sites would be "glamping" for those extra euros/night for very little.
The camp sites on Ibiza are IMO rather expensive. It's really not worth it compared to dirt cheap hostals in San An.

Wild camping is not allowed on Ibiza, but I saw a couple of tents between the castle and the sea last June. So there are the occasional wild campers.

It's no problem getting all the camping gear on the plane. It's a question of priority. I've been wild camping in Greece three times. The tricky part is the gas stove, which can be bought on arrival.

To anyone thinking that they absolutely MUST get to ibiza, and are willing to walk around without a hotel for 5 days in order to facilitate the trip, my advice would be to chill, take a year off. It will still be there next year, and the next. Or just go for a couple of days.

But if you absolutely must do it, be sure to document the experience in detail for the rest of the Spotlight community to enjoy for years to come.

In the 90s I saw some german expats without food and accomodation. They walked around to ask the residents for little work ( cut the lawn , painting work and so on ). They had problems with food for the next day. I spoke with one of them : Could not go back because no money for flight tickets. Embassy didnt want to pay. No fun

Hippies were a different story. You have to separate between true hippies and rich kids who looked like hippies. Some of them were the second ones. But there is written nowhere that a hippie hast to be poor.

Last edited:
The camp sites on Ibiza are IMO rather expensive. It's really not worth it compared to dirt cheap hostals in San An.

Wild camping is not allowed on Ibiza, but I saw a couple of tents between the castle and the sea last June. So there are the occasional wild campers.

It's no problem getting all the camping gear on the plane. It's a question of priority. I've been wild camping in Greece three times. The tricky part is the gas stove, which can be bought on arrival.
Yup, I get that these days. It's the same with youth hostels (in the UK at least) I was a regular youth hosteller in the 80's and 90's but gave up when it was obvious some hotels were much cheaper and you got a room to yourself; so no worries about what you got up to in bed all night. (Snoring, obvs).

This is how it's done:

If you want a longish and cheap camping holiday in the sun then go to a campsite in Greece, Croatia or some other country.

If you want a more urban and cultural experience on a budjet, then get a eurorail ticket (they still exist) and sleep on the overnight train between cities. I did this for a month, spending two nights in a row on a train, and every third night in a cheap hotel.

Ibiza on the cheap is not advisable. The best one should do is a long weekend staying somewhere in San An where you don't have to take a taxi to whereever you are partying. Also, get sufficiently liquidated before going out. (Alcohol in Norway is ridiculously expensive. So the concept of a pre-party called vorspiel was invented. (I am not kidding. A pre-party in Norway is called a vorspiel.) It was mandatory when I was young for us to gather at someone's house for a 2-3 hours vorspiel before taking the tram into town. The vorspiel always included loud music, and if lots of people turn up it's often the best part of the evening.)

Yeah , I remember that guys. The internet was not so big , smartphones not existing. The next thing was : Thery had no company , they could not pay taxes , looked for black work. So they opened a " I do everything , really everything " business.
I think its still existing. Im sure , that a lot of simple housework is done by such people. Didnt know where they lived. But the rent was not as high as today , I think. So 3 or 4 people lived in a room. Some of them were homeless.
In earlier days some of the dancers lived similar : A lot of girls in a flat. Not all , but it was common.

Just re-reading OP post there, you can only admire the commitment to exploring as much of the island as possible by way of catching buses. Were it not for hire cars, I would never have even considered getting buses to some of the further flung reaches of the island. And given the amount of time spent on the bus I suppose its a handy way of catching some zeds.

Just re-reading OP post there, you can only admire the commitment to exploring as much of the island as possible by way of catching buses. Were it not for hire cars, I would never have even considered getting buses to some of the further flung reaches of the island. And given the amount of time spent on the bus I suppose its a handy way of catching some zeds.
I use the buses a lot, I wouldn't even think of hiring a car due to the difficulty of parking and the excessive rates; but the ibizabus website isn't the easiest to understand (especially buses around Ibiza ciry itself) and AFAIK there's still no "bus tracker" but once you've worked out the timetables there are lots of opportunities to explore. https://ibizabus.com/ibiza/

Must admit the 13, 16 and then 16c is quite an effort to get from Ibiza city to the beach at Aigua Blanca ;)

As for a budget holiday - if you can do without the clubs - and can get the bus from the airport to your hotel -
Go off peak (June is a superb month weather-wise), stay as close to the nightlife you want as possible, use the buses to get around the island etc or/and walk/cycle/scooter. To be fair the 5-star hotels like the Ocean Drive aren't necessarily where you want to be located, whereas cheaper places like the Royal Plaza are! Enjoy the tapas!!

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you, 2H76. The bus system on Ibiza is better than expected and you can reach all important locations and several beaches.

In May/June and September/October you can get acceptable hotels for a cheap rate (less than 50€ per night, I had a few nights at Can Beia for about 30€/night in 2018), especially in San Antonio.

Check out some Facebook or Telegram Groups for partying. Sometimes it's possible to get a discount or guest list (for less frequented nights) or you'll find free events.

Go to drinking/food spots where locals go to. I was quite stunned when I payed 2€ for a coffee + pan con tomato at Bar Benitez.

For me, the big downside to the bus is not being able to buy a multi day/weekly ticket that lets you use them as much as you want for a set price. I often want to buzz around to a few different places in a day, but it adds up when it's a fixed €3/€4 a time. If I could get a weekly pass for, say €25, I would use them a lot more and bin the (bloody pricey) hire car

there's still a few bars/local things where you can eat/drink normally (mainland prices). eg the place at the southern end of SE by the water where the path sort of ends. can't remember the name, but they were lovely. also, worth searching menus del dia beforehand to see where still does them. In contrast, where a restaurant, shack or chiringuito enjoys a monopoly on a beach then the prices will rocket. We made the bad mistake of eating at the Dalias restaurant last Sept because there was nothing else nearby. The bill was... :oops:

there's still a few bars/local things where you can eat/drink normally (mainland prices). eg the place at the southern end of SE by the water where the path sort of ends. can't remember the name, but they were lovely. also, worth searching menus del dia beforehand to see where still does them. In contrast, where a restaurant, shack or chiringuito enjoys a monopoly on a beach then the prices will rocket. We made the bad mistake of eating at the Dalias restaurant last Sept because there was nothing else nearby. The bill was... :oops:
It's a shame about Las Dalias, it was very affordable before.

Back