Armada 2009

I'd give both my arms to see an eight hour set by marcus schulz that would be all kinds of epic.

do you reckon that will change this year with sanchez though? (I mean terrace being empty)

hmmmm.........maybe, but can't see it.

terrace is huge, he is no longer a huge name. there is no line up apart from him, no support other than a few dates from laidbuck luke.

carrying the terrace on your own, armin showed last year that being number 1 DJ counts for nothing really.

the people who consider him a huge name are the type of people who love the pacha culture, amnesia is a raver's club. he'll make the VIP busier for sure, but what good's that other than for amnesia's bank account.

he is no longer a huge name

the people who consider him a huge name are the type of people who love the pacha culture, amnesia is a raver's club. he'll make the VIP busier for sure, but what good's that other than for amnesia's bank account.

?? No longer a big name?
What do you mean?
The S-Man is one of the bigest house artists on the planet!
That has nothing to do with "Pacha culture"!
Just quality house music!
And the Release Yourself concept is focused on Roger!
His 7 - 8 hours sets are amazing!
And this years theme "cabaret noir" sounds very promising!
With great deco and visuals!
Can' t wait for that!

The thing is with Roger being on the terrace is that most people who go to Armada are there specifically to see trance DJs. For a trance fan, Roger isn't a "deal breaker". What's going on in the main room is the draw for them. And on the flip of that, are house fans really gonna go to a trance event just to see Roger on the terrace when the terrace itself has a record for being dead at Armada?

So, as much as I would agree that Sanchez is still a massive name, and even a name I wouldn't mind seeing myself, I don't think he's going to solve the problem of an empty terrace.

?? No longer a big name?
What do you mean?
The S-Man is one of the bigest house artists on the planet!
That has nothing to do with "Pacha culture"!
Just quality house music!
And the Release Yourself concept is focused on Roger!
His 7 - 8 hours sets are amazing!
And this years theme "cabaret noir" sounds very promising!
With great deco and visuals!
Can' t wait for that!

i'd love to agree with you, but i just can't.

last year at mambo, when roger played there for the preparty, nobody gave two hoots who has behind the decks, they literally couldn't have cared less that he was there.

problem is, that most of those same people, are the ones this night will need to be a success.

and how can you dismiss the link of roger and pacha, aside from one season at el divino, he has played there for 15 years, his style, his music, his image........it's inherently linked to everything pacha is about, that's why he's had a residency there for so long.

i don't dispute the quality of his music, just simply that people like him, like kenny dope, louie vega, etc, etc........they're just not considered top of the box office anymore, sadly IMO.

The thing is with Roger being on the terrace is that most people who go to Armada are there specifically to see trance DJs. For a trance fan, Roger isn't a "deal breaker". What's going on in the main room is the draw for them. And on the flip of that, are house fans really gonna go to a trance event just to see Roger on the terrace when the terrace itself has a record for being dead at Armada?

So, as much as I would agree that Sanchez is still a massive name, and even a name I wouldn't mind seeing myself, I don't think he's going to solve the problem of an empty terrace.

He might not fill the terrace but he'll surely pull a better crowd in there than the last few years- gotta be more successful than that R'n'b thing they had on a few years ago in the terrace when Armada was in the main room. Talk about chalk and cheese!

Maybe moving Armada to the terrace and putting Espuma in the mainroom on Tuesdays might work a bit better for a level crowd across the club. Armin was saying last year he wanted to play the new terrace...

i'd love to agree with you, but i just can't.

last year at mambo, when roger played there for the preparty, nobody gave two hoots who has behind the decks, they literally couldn't have cared less that he was there.

Can`t agree on that!
I`ve been twice last year to his Pre-Party and both times there were people that cared a lot who is behind the decks!
Sure, not that Hype like at David "the french cheeseman" Guetta`s Pre-Party.

and how can you dismiss the link of roger and pacha, aside from one season at el divino, he has played there for 15 years, his style, his music, his image........it's inherently linked to everything pacha is about, that's why he's had a residency there for so long.

i don't dispute the quality of his music, just simply that people like him, like kenny dope, louie vega, etc, etc........they're just not considered top of the box office anymore, sadly IMO.

I don`t want to dismiss the link to Pacha. Roger fitted perfectly to the style of Pacha.
But, in difference to guys like Louie Vega, David Morales & Co, Roger is developing his music style every year a next step further.
For example, just compare his first Release Yourself Compilation with the new one.
There is a huge change. He has become much more tribal, electronic and upfront. But he never forgets what house music stands for! There is always the deep & sexy side in his sets!
His music range is impressive.
As he says: "he wants to shake things up this season by moving his weekly summer sessions to Amnesia"!
This year it`s going to be more dark & electronic. The theme is very promising.
It could work perfectly at the terrace @ Amnesia.
I´m optimistic!

Can`t agree on that!
I`ve been twice last year to his Pre-Party and both times there were people that cared a lot who is behind the decks!
Sure, not that Hype like at David "the french cheeseman" Guetta`s Pre-Party.

I don`t want to dismiss the link to Pacha. Roger fitted perfectly to the style of Pacha.
But, in difference to guys like Louie Vega, David Morales & Co, Roger is developing his music style every year a next step further.
For example, just compare his first Release Yourself Compilation with the new one.
There is a huge change. He has become much more tribal, electronic and upfront. But he never forgets what house music stands for! There is always the deep & sexy side in his sets!
His music range is impressive.
As he says: "he wants to shake things up this season by moving his weekly summer sessions to Amnesia"!
This year it`s going to be more dark & electronic. The theme is very promising.
It could work perfectly at the terrace @ Amnesia.
I´m optimistic!

i don't really disagree with too much of what you say, the crux of my argument is as much about whether the night will work as much as roger sanchez.

i would love to think it could work well, but after last year's disaster and the competition from carl cox (very strong) and both eden and es paradis have strong pulls on tuesdays, i just don't think there are enough people to make the amnesia terrace full enough to work well.

let's see what happens.......

went to the opening and closing of armada last year and markus was every bit just as good as armin,armin not playing closing would defo not put me off going.

Everytime I've been to Armada main floor was rammed but the outer parts were fairly empty. It was nice if you like a lot of room to dance but the atmos was nothing like a cream night where people are just bloody everywhere.

The terrace I ventured into for 10 minute stints at a time just to get away from the super saws and boom/tish loops every once in a while, although it was always dead in there. Will be interesting to see if ol Sanchez can fill it up a bit.

tom

Remember it's 2 big promoters your getting for your ticket now, but we'll see!

I suppose it depends how big an impact they think Roger can and will have. I think they're probably better off just sticking with the normal price, at least in low and mid season. There's no point sucking in a new demograhic with Roger, only to push away an older one with a fatter price tag. Will be interesting to see.

There's no point sucking in a new demograhic with Roger, only to push away an older one with a fatter price tag. Will be interesting to see.

Good point there, but I can't see it being around the 30 Euro marker - just seems too low, i think.

Hey guys, i'm staying in Es Cana this year, which makes finding flyers and promos for cheap entry pretty hard to come by. Where do you guys think will be the best place to buy tickets? Perhaps online? Last year i got 1 hour free drinks and transport to the club + Entry for €35 in mid July. But i think that bar has shut down now so not sure if i can get a similar deal this time around, any suggestions?

Thanks

Back