Albums that Rocked Your World

It's funny how nowadays I despise the music industry yet how looking back, all those massive albums 'dark side of the moon', 'rumours', 'thriller' were laden with big production, instant earworm hits which I grew up on and which feel timeless to my ears. The snobbery only came much, much later.

phil collins/genesis for instance. gated drums and big stadium moments - I loved all that stuff. And now I'm only interested in what they did pre-81.

ok in addition to those already listed, 10 of my fave 'electronic' albums: (all nineteen nineties)

1. Aphex twin 'selected ambient works' - totally ahead of the game, one of the founders of what became known as chillout (alongside the orb & klf)

2. Jam & Spoon 'tripomatic fairytales' - there were 2 albums confusingly with the same name but different sleeves - the 'green' one was more ambient (probably inspired by Aphex) and the other more euro/poppy - the ambient one has aged a lot better. As I got more and more intrigued by what was coming out of Germany, it was a short journey into techno-trance eg westbam, hardfloor, oliver lieb, sven vath, pvd, torsten fenslau... etc etc

3. Sabres of Paradise - 'sabresonic' aka mr weatherall (or Lord Sabre as he was known then) - the david holmes mix of smokebelch (sadly not included) is next-level rave business. This was probably the point where he parted company with the acid-housers he had grown up with - they all went for chart success but ultimately who had the last laugh....

4. Carl Craig 'landcruising' - this was C2 at his absolute peak (see also anything he recorded as 69, Psyche, Paperclip People, Innerzone Orchestra)

5. 808 state 'excel' - listened to this loads, by far the coolest of all the brit ravers (and still going strong!)

6. Plastikman 'Consumed' - ignore his latter day twatty persona, this was hawtin at his deepest - utterly brilliant

7. DJ Shadow 'endtroducing' - this was so inventive - especially 'what does your soul look like' - the inspiration behind James Lavelle's UNKLE

8. Coldcut 'JDJ' - ok file under comp, but with Coldcut all over it. A total education in turntablism and selection from a time when genres didn't matter and people would throw everything and anything into the stew. Absolute masters of their trade. Everything on JDJ was essential.

9. Moby 'The Story So Far' - time hasn't been kind but my 17 year old self did briefly think 'Go' was the sound of the future. One track amusingly clocked 1000bpm (utterly unlistenable proto-gabba - but useful for antagonising the shitty people I lived with)

10. Everything But The Girl 'Walking Wounded' indie-folkies turned purveyors of dnb via todd terry - the unlikely story of the mid-90s. if Tracey Thorn's voice sounded amazing on Massive Attack's (godlike) 'protection', she sounded even better on 'walking wounded'. it also got me into dnb for a while Bukem, Goldie, Roni Size

got a bit carried away there! ah well. all similar suggestions welcome :)

Was struggling to think of recent albums that are great, but a couple just came to mind!

Jamie XX - In Colour
Flying Lotus - You're Dead

Speak and Spell. First one was my favourite of them. Perfect synth pop.

Wondering that no one has cabaret voltaire on his list , here

Last edited:
Speak and Spell. First one was my favourite one of them. Perfect synt pop.

Wondering that no on hasbcabaret voltaire on his list , here
I recently mentioned CV somewhere on here but despite my past love for them they don't make the grade with this threads title. Test Dept however....

Back