Afterlife 2019

For me the only saving grace from last years party when I went was that the music was so good but not in this instance. The DJs in the club room done all they could but the crowd just didn't care they were woeful. Fjaak and Chris Liebing were absolutely tearing the room down but people were barely even dancing. This was even worse in the main room in terms of the punters and especially the music. The set by the Tale of Us was utter poison, so many poor track selections with awful vocals and IDs which no one ever wants the names of. It was an unfortunate shame as I was big defender of this party last year but no way I can stick up for it this time.

Last edited:
Havent heard too many good things about this night, and its the one im most looking forward to.

Anybody think things likely to change between now and end of season? Or September by any chance :p

For me the only saving grace from last years party when I went was that the music was so good but not in this instance. The DJs in the club room done all they could but the crowd just didn't care they were woeful. Fjaak and Chris Liebing were absolutely tearing the room down but people were barely even dancing. This was even worse in the main room in terms of the punters and especially the music. The set by the Tale of Us was utter poison, so many poor track selections with awful vocals and IDs which no one ever wants the names of. It was an unfortunate shame as I was big defender of this party last year but no way I can stick up for it this time.
They are really not doing there reputation any favours!

They have consistently pulled out amazing line ups at Hi, yet people are still not enjoying it so clearly something is wrong! Not been this year myself, and I won't be due to previous experiences, twice last year (Opening & Closing) neither where anything special and very much like you mention with people stood around not having a clue where they are or who is playing.

Maybe I am completely wrong here but surely some DJs they are booking will just get fed up playing to dead dancefloors with no atmosphere and playing to people who have no idea what they are listening to.

Not been this year myself, and I won't be due to previous experiences, twice last year (Opening & Closing) neither where anything special and very much like you mention with people stood around not having a clue where they are or who is playing.

Maybe I am completely wrong here but surely some DJs they are booking will just get fed up playing to dead dancefloors with no atmosphere and playing to people who have no idea what they are listening to.

You really do notice the contrast in clientele straight away. While waiting for the club to open I noticed two separate groups belting out pop EDM on their phones! They'd obviously come straight from Martijn Garrix. I'd say they were in for a treat but I doubt they stuck around long. Like last year, I tried to ignore these out of their depth punters as much as I could but it became impossible since they were killing the vibe. Some were even doing main stage Tomorrowland dance moves!! The crowd in the theatre were different in terms of the issues I had with them. It was the Carola brigade all over again, a see of just c*nts.

Loved TOU in the circoloco days, and when afterlife was at space that one last time.

Think its more of a case or TOU overkill and the venue of Hi plus film crowd thats making people think meh

Outch...

It’s really only this forum that doesn’t like it....you look on social media and everyone is eating it up. Most of them are probably just saying it so they can post a humblebrag post, but the optics from what I read is that this is a great party.

It’s really only this forum that doesn’t like it....you look on social media and everyone is eating it up. Most of them are probably just saying it so they can post a humblebrag post, but the optics from what I read is that this is a great party.

Yep. Also the fact that it’s so busy every week must be testament to quite a few people enjoying it. Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole after everything I’ve read on here tbh but each to their own.

I think the problem is that the people attending are not your usual crowd, so they have nothing to compare it to. With Garrix being over the road before I am sure a lot of that crowd comes over! And as others have said people don't want to go home from their holiday and start saying how shit nights are, they want to brag to their mates how great the events they attended were to look cool.

Got to say the Afterlife PR team have done fantastic and that is the only reason this is a success but for all the wrong reasons imo

Simple put I do not know anyone who goes to techno events in Ibiza and the rest of Europe, including Afterlife, and has gone to Afterlife at Hi and come out saying it was amazing. Not a single person.

In 2015-2016 me and my pals would be traveling to another country just to see ToU. Today we don't even bother if they come to our city. It's not only this forum, and if social media reactions is showing anything David Guetta @ Pacha was the greatest party ever.

They have been a hit or miss musically for years now, they are editing old trance classics every summer which is getting old, long breakdown vocal and drop rinse and repeat every 10 minutes. This will appeal a lot to MOST people, but i can argue that is a boring formula for some.

I am sure they are making a fortune though.

I am beating a dead horse here but only thing that can 'save' this party is a move to amnesia. not only for TOU at the terrace but imagine their club room - line ups at the amnesia club room! (berghain guys, liebing, fjaak...)

HI is a decent club but compared to space it seems to lack something. Kinda feng shui type feeling, I dunno, hard to put down to something specific ?‍♂️ anyhow probs convo for different thread.

I am beating a dead horse here but only thing that can 'save' this party is a move to amnesia. not only for TOU at the terrace but imagine their club room - line ups at the amnesia club room! (berghain guys, liebing, fjaak...)

Depends on the crowd it attracts - if it wound up being another Music On then .....

I remember when ToU were a warm-up act on the Terrace at DC-10 playing early hours stuff. It's been a pretty meteoric rise for them since then !

Back